[comp.sys.mac] NewUser's guide to comp.sys.mac

lemay@lorelei.Sun.COM (Laura Lemay) (09/12/89)

OK, comp.unix.questions has a post that's posted every month with a whole
bunch of "most commonly asked questions on this newsgroup."

I've been reading this newsgroup for two years now.  We need one.

But obviously this is a HUGE task for one person.  So I'm going to make it
easy.

Pick your favourite most commonly asked question by a new user on this
bulletin board.  Write a few paragraphs to answer it.  Send it to me.
I'm a tech writer, so I'll make it into english-speak, rather than tech-speak
(so all you programmers, don't be afraid), compile everything, and then
post it to the net for comments.  Then we'll see about cronning it to
send out every month....

Some suggestions for the questions everyone's most sick of hearing:

1.  How do I download files? (ALSO:  what does SIT!  mean??)
2.  Whats the most recent version of X?
3.  How do I get a postscript file of a mac document?
4.  (lots of other postscript printing questions)
5.  How do I rebuild the desktop (why would I want to rebuild the desktop?)

And this list is just what I saw while reading this newgroup from the last
week!  :-)

-Laura Lemay			lemay%lorelei@sun.com
Redhead.  Drummer.  Geek.

gford@nunki.usc.edu (Gregory Ford) (09/12/89)

>Some suggestions for the questions everyone's most sick of hearing:

>1.  How do I download files? (ALSO:  what does SIT!  mean??)
>2.  Whats the most recent version of X?
>3.  How do I get a postscript file of a mac document?
>4.  (lots of other postscript printing questions)
>5.  How do I rebuild the desktop (why would I want to rebuild the desktop?)

Let's not forget:

 6.  How to FTP
* Greg Ford				GEnie:    G.FORD3		      *
* University of Southern California	Internet: gford%nunki.usc.edu@usc.edu *

lemay@lorelei.Sun.COM (Laura Lemay) (09/12/89)

>Pick your favourite most commonly asked question by a new user on this
>bulletin board.  Write a few paragraphs to answer it.  Send it to me.
>I'm a tech writer, so I'll make it into english-speak, rather than tech-speak
>(so all you programmers, don't be afraid), compile everything, and then
>post it to the net for comments.  Then we'll see about cronning it to
>send out every month....

I've changed my mind.  It seems to me now that it might make a lot more
sense just to compile a list of the most-often asked questions and then
solicit volunteers to write something about each one.  That way I won't
get duplicates.

Plus, its a neater way to start a discussion on this newsgroup.

So send mail, post, whatever -- what are the most commonly asked
qeustions by newusers on this group?  (the ones that really drive you
nuts because youknow 10,000 people are going to post about it, its so
obvious....)

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (09/12/89)

In article <5043@merlin.usc.edu> gford@nunki.usc.edu (Gregory Ford) writes:

|>Some suggestions for the questions everyone's most sick of hearing:

   [Suggestions 1-6 omitted]

The perennial:

7. The little apple thing in the corner of my screen keeps blinking,
   and I can't make it stop.  Is my Mac broken?

	/JBL
=
Nets: levin@bbn.com    |
   or {...}!bbn!levin  |
POTS: (617) 873-3463   |

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (09/13/89)

How about:

8.  How do I generate postscript (you tell them...) Where did this
Postscript0 file come from?  Why can't I print a file generated using
command-F on a 3rd-party printer?  (need laserprep).  Why does my
printer (brand X) gag on the laserprep?  (where X=imagen usually)

All these questions are answered in the SUMEX archive, in the file
tips> generating-postscript.txt

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

nilesinc@well.UUCP (Avi Rappoport) (09/14/89)

I do customer support, and the two mac things my customers have the most
trouble with are: Open File and MultiFinder Partition Size.

"I can't see my file when I go to Open"  (because the popup folder menu is
*not* exactly intuitive)

"Why do I always run out of memory" (setting MF partition size is totally
obscure!)

Avi

-- Help me justify my online bills: ask me EndNote questions, please! --
Avi Rappoport                   nilesinc@well.UUCP, Niles.Assoc on AppleLink
415-655-6666			               2000 Hearst, Berkeley, CA 94709

sellers@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Todd Sellers) (09/19/89)

In article <8400156@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> [Complaints about people asking questions deleted.]
>
>All these questions are answered in the SUMEX archive, in the file
>tips> generating-postscript.txt
>

>Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
>1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
>ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

Great, so I guess you'll be the liason for all of us who do not have
access to the SUMEX archive.  I'll just send my requests to you and
you can get me the stuff that I need.  Yeah, thats the ticket.

|  Todd Sellers                  | EMail to (sellers@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM) |
|  NCR E&M Columbia              |       or (todd@pibtest.Columbia.NCR.COM)   |
|  West Columbia, South Carolina |    <THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK>   |
|  29169                         |    <INSERT YOUR FAVORITE DISCLAIMER HERE>  |