[comp.sys.mac] What fonts are available under Adobe Type Manager?

buyskes@lafcol.UUCP (Steven Buyske) (09/16/89)

	I know that the basic "Laserwriter fonts" come with ATM,
and I know that it works with whatever (Adobe-only?) postscript fonts
you have on disk, but will there be a cheap add-on for ATM that will
yield the "Laserwriter Plus fonts"? (Palatino, Bookman, Schoolbook,
and AvanteGarde families)

Steve Buyske                    uucp    : rutgers!lehi3b15!lafcol!buyskes
Mathematics Department          Bitnet  : BUYSKES@LAFAYETT
Lafayette College
Easton, PA  18042

bezanson@adobe.COM (Brian Bezanson) (09/16/89)

In article <1516@lafcol.UUCP> buyskes@lafcol.UUCP (Steven Buyske) writes:
>... but will there be a cheap add-on for ATM that will
>yield the "Laserwriter Plus fonts"? (Palatino, Bookman, Schoolbook,
>and AvanteGarde families)

We've announced the Plus-Pak of outlines that will ship the same time ATM
ships and they will include (Avant Garde, Bookman, New Century School Book,
Palatino, Zapf Chancery, and Zapf Dingbats. I believe the suggested price
is around $199 - but for actual numbers and info, call 800/344-8335 (US and
Canada).

----
Brian Bezanson						bezanson@adobe.com
Adobe Systems

kurtzman@pollux.usc.edu (Stephen Kurtzman) (09/17/89)

In article <1209@adobe.UUCP> bezanson@adobe.UUCP (Brian Bezanson) writes:

>We've announced the Plus-Pak of outlines that will ship the same time ATM
>ships and they will include (Avant Garde, Bookman, New Century School Book,
>Palatino, Zapf Chancery, and Zapf Dingbats. I believe the suggested price
>is around $199 - but for actual numbers and info, call 800/344-8335 (US and
>Canada).

That price, added to the $99 for the cost of ATM brings the total cost
up to $300 in order to have my mac screen mimic my laserwriter. Now,
that doesn't sound like too bad a deal for good quality imagewriter
output, but it really makes the ATM a bad buy if you are only looking
for improvement in the on-screen representation.

----
Stephen Kurtzman        |    "You might be the largest Elizabeth, but
kurtzman@pollux.usc.edu |     Elizabeth is still a good name to have if

stevem@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Steve Miller) (09/19/89)

>> The reason for this is (correct me if I'm
>> wrong) the H.P. and LaserWriter SC use bitmaps/screen fonts that have 4x sizes
>>  [ some stuff deleted here, and above]
>> Brian Bezanson			bezanson@adobe.com
>> Adobe Systems

>  THe HP DeskWriter does use outline fonts, not 4x bitmaps. At
>least this is what the manual says. So once again, does the Adobe Type
>Manager enhance the functionality of the Deskwriter beyond the use of
>the extensive Adobe font collections (which, of course, is a very nice
>enhancement all by itself).
>

>Jeff Kantor

You are correct Jeff, the DeskWriter does use outline fonts (sorry Brian).
From my limited experience of ATM on a DeskWriter I found the following
enhancements:

Rotated text in other than 90 degree increments is often of higher quality.

The outline and shadow enhancements are of higher quality.

On a Mac SE the throughput is generally a little higher (5-10% higher) for
text output and a litter lower on graphics only output.

On problem:  This was a beta release of ATM, but there were some spacing
problems on some of the output.  Since this was a beta release I assume that
this has probably been fixed.

Steven Miller
Vancouver Division
Hewlett Packard