[comp.sys.mac] Unformatting disks?

RAND@merrimack.edu (Rand P. Hall) (09/14/89)

Other than degaussing, can anyone suggest a way to get previously
initialized disks to appear uninitialized?

Why on earth do I want to do this? We're giving intro classes to about
600 freshmen and part of the class involves initializing disks. The
kids bring their own and keep them afterward. The problem is the
instructor(s) now have to keep coming up with blank disks to demo on.

Rand P. Hall                    UUCP: {uunet,bbn,ulowell}!ginosko!hubdub!rand
Merrimack College               CSNET: rand@merrimack.edu
N. Andover, MA 508.683.7111     Dukakis = 15% tax hike + $1.3 billion deficit

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (09/15/89)

In article <5261@merrimack.edu> RAND@merrimack.edu (Rand P. Hall) writes:
>Other than degaussing, can anyone suggest a way to get previously
>initialized disks to appear uninitialized?

Format them in an IBM.  At last, Big Blue is good for something!

Or you could try to scramble them by holding magnets over them.

Or run over them with a very large truck.

     << Brian >>
--
| Brian S. Kendig       |  I feel more like I   | bskendig                   |
| Computer Engineering  |  did when I got here  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU     |

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (09/15/89)

In article <5261@merrimack.edu> RAND@merrimack.edu (Rand P. Hall) writes:
>Other than degaussing, can anyone suggest a way to get previously
>initialized disks to appear uninitialized?
>
>Why on earth do I want to do this? We're giving intro classes to about
>600 freshmen and part of the class involves initializing disks. The
>kids bring their own and keep them afterward. The problem is the
>instructor(s) now have to keep coming up with blank disks to demo on.

     Several suggestions follow.

     Have the instructors use a disk which is known to be bad and will
not initialize.  This will also show the students what the
"Initialization Failed" dialog looks like.  The instructor can then
perform the rest of the demonstration with a good disk.

     Obtain a raw disk editor such as MacTools or FEdit.  Use it to
zero out the disks after they have been initialized.

     Reformat the demo disks on another make machine if you have one
around.

     Erase the disk, rebooting the Mac via the programmer's switch
halfway through the process.  (Ohh, this is mean!)

Earle R. Horton

prince@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Larry Prince) (09/15/89)

In article <5261@merrimack.edu> RAND@merrimack.edu (Rand P. Hall) writes:
>Other than degaussing, can anyone suggest a way to get previously
>initialized disks to appear uninitialized?

Of course, the fastest way to uninitialize disks is to erase them with a
bulk eraser...you can get one for $40 or $50 at various electronics
retail outlets.

Failing that, though, you could use this somewhat slower method...
Simply initialize the diskettes as PRO-DOS or MS-DOS disks, using either
Apple File Exchange with an FDHD drive, or the appropriate computer.

		    UCLA Computer Science Department
   -- Larry         3413 Boelter Hall   Los Angeles 90024  (213) 825-2145
	 Prince     UUCP:     {uunet,rutgers,ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!prince
		    Internet:  prince@CS.UCLA.EDU

rcbaem@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (Ernst <pooh> Mulder) (09/15/89)

In article <5261@merrimack.edu> RAND@merrimack.edu (Rand P. Hall) writes:
>Other than degaussing, can anyone suggest a way to get previously
>initialized disks to appear uninitialized?

 There are a couple. First you could molest your disks using a magnet. This
is very rude. Secondly you could use an eraser. We use a device like this on
the computer centre where I work, and someone was able to erase about 10
tapes in one go. (Imagine how many disks would fit in the same place as 10
tapes!)
 If you are very rude you can start to erase the disk (from the finder) and
use a paperclip to get the disk out before the Mac has finished erasing
it. The latter will give a different warning when you reinsert the disk
though. The first methods will say 'This disk is unreadable', the latter
will say 'This is not a Macintosh disk'.

 I personally vote for the eraser method.

 Ernst.

d88-sli@nada.kth.se (Stefan Lindmark) (09/15/89)

>In article <5261@merrimack.edu> RAND@merrimack.edu (Rand P. Hall) writes:
>>Other than degaussing, can anyone suggest a way to get previously
>>initialized disks to appear uninitialized?

Try using a magnet, holding it very close to the magnetic surface
after sliding the cover away. You may have trouble finding a magnet
strong enough.

If you want to do this often and quickly, use one of the powerful
electro-magnet devices, normally used for de-magnetizing the heads of
audio-tape decks.  But beware: They tend to be *very* strong, ie
everything in a radius of two meters may be destroyed.

--
Stefan Lindmark  Email: d88-sli@nada.kth.se  Snail-mail: Don't even bother...
If everybody helped one newuser today, the world would look a bit happier.

bernard.becker@canremote.uucp (BERNARD BECKER) (09/15/89)

Select erase disk from menu. When the disk is half finished formatting
shut the Mac off. This is really inelegant but it works. The next time
you put the disk in it will say it is not a Mac disk etc....
Children DO NOT DO THIS AT HOME. This technician is a trained monkey and
has been taught by professionals. If you do this to your Mac and it dies
well, youve been warned.
I discovered this when while formatting a disk my wife plugged in the
iron and the kettle at the same time.
Everyone should be forced to live in ancient and crumbling buildings.
Oh the multitudinous benefits of Rent Controlled Buildings.
<<BB>>
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1aR

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (09/16/89)

As quoted from <5261@merrimack.edu> by RAND@merrimack.edu (Rand P. Hall):
+---------------
| Other than degaussing, can anyone suggest a way to get previously
| initialized disks to appear uninitialized?
+---------------

I reformat them on my Toshiba T1000.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@NCoast.ORG
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

pepke@loligo (Eric Pepke) (09/19/89)

Anecdote:

A long time ago, I had an industrial strength bulk tape eraser.  The thing
drew about 10 amps.  When you put a tape on it and turned it on, the tape
vibrated and made a noise rougly equivalent to a steam jackhammer.  One had to
take the tape at least 10 feet away from the eraser before switching it off
to avoid magnetizing the tape from the half cycle when the switch opened.

At this time, I had some low density TRS-80 disks I wanted to erase, and I
figured this would be a good way to do it.  I rubbed each disk on the
deguasser for about 30 seconds.

As far as I could tell, not a single bit was erased.

The oxide they use on disks is HARD.  If you want to erase disks, make sure
your deguasser is designed for the job.

Eric Pepke                                     INTERNET: pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute  MFENET:   pepke@fsu
Florida State University                       SPAN:     scri::pepke
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052                     BITNET:   pepke@fsu

Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.