[comp.sys.mac] Wanted: Nice, cheap memory upgrade for 1M SE

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (09/19/89)

All right, I've finally given in to temptation.  The glories of Multifinder
(as well as the spectre of System 7 on the horizon) have persuaded me to get
a memory upgrade for my Mac SE.

I've decided that I want to go up to 2.5 megs; 4 would be nice, but I really
don't need it.  I've also decided that I want to get the cheapest reliable
chips I can find - after I graduate college in three years, I'll be selling my
SE and getting whatever the top-of-the-line model is then, so I'm probably not
going to eventually use the SIMMs in an '030 machine.  No need for them to be
fast; I think that 120ns (or is it 150?) will do the trick.

Questions:

Does it matter whether I get 120ns or 150ns?  If either will work, will
faster chips really affect performance of an SE?

Should I wait for the System 7 Upgrade Kit?  I heard that Apple might offer
a package containing both the new System and a few SIMMs.  Is it really
worth the wait?

If I do decide to go ahead and get more memory, could you all please advise me
on the best places to shop for it (mail-order or otherwise)?  (Someone
mentioned $85 SIMMs here not too long ago.)  Please try to include as much
detail as you can; if I get a good response to this question, I'll summarize
my answers here on the net in a few days.

Thanks!
     << Brian >>
--
| Brian S. Kendig       |  I feel more like I   | bskendig                   |
| Computer Engineering  |  did when I got here  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU     |

c8s-an@franny.Berkeley.EDU (Alex Lau) (09/20/89)

In article <10476@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
>All right, I've finally given in to temptation.  The glories of Multifinder
>(as well as the spectre of System 7 on the horizon) have persuaded me to get
>a memory upgrade for my Mac SE.
>
>I've decided that I want to go up to 2.5 megs; 4 would be nice, but I really
>don't need it.  I've also decided that I want to get the cheapest reliable
>chips I can find - after I graduate college in three years, I'll be selling my
>SE and getting whatever the top-of-the-line model is then, so I'm probably not
>going to eventually use the SIMMs in an '030 machine.  No need for them to be
>fast; I think that 120ns (or is it 150?) will do the trick.
>
>Questions:
>
>Does it matter whether I get 120ns or 150ns?  If either will work, will
>faster chips really affect performance of an SE?

As long as you don't upgrade, 120ns or 150ns doesn't matter. The
SE can't make use of the faster speed in the 120ns or faster
chips, so you might as well save your money. Of course, the
faster chips also run cooler. It's up to you.

>Should I wait for the System 7 Upgrade Kit?  I heard that Apple might offer
>a package containing both the new System and a few SIMMs.  Is it really
>worth the wait?

System 7 won't be out for quite a while. Apple has stopped
talking about it, except to developers. Don't hold your
breath. If you need the RAM upgrade now, get the RAM
upgrade now.

>If I do decide to go ahead and get more memory, could you all please advise me
>on the best places to shop for it (mail-order or otherwise)?  (Someone
>mentioned $85 SIMMs here not too long ago.)

The Chip Merchant (there's that name again!) is advertising
in MacWEEK for $86, 100ns, low-profile 1-Meg SIMMs. Their
phone # is 800-426-6375 outside California, and 619-268-4774
inside California. Drawbacks: they only take COD orders. No
credit cards or checks.

Also, another good place is the Technology Works in Austin,
Texas. Benefits: free torx driver (for opening up your SE),
256K trade-in offer, all major credit cards accepted.
Drawbacks: slightly higher price, but no price advertised.
Phone #: 800-622-2210. I assume the same for Texans, too.

>Thanks!
>     << Brian >>

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!franny!c8s-an
INTERNET: c8s-an%franny.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
FIDONET: Alex.Lau@bmug.fidonet.org (1:161/444)