[comp.sys.mac] Appletalk and Ethernet Conflict

loucks@intvax.UUCP (Cliff Loucks) (09/13/89)

I have a Mac II with an Etherport card in it.  We use an ethernet
link to access our laserwriters which works fine.  I would like to
be able to use my serial (printer) port concurrently with the
ethernet access to the printer.  I have not, however, found a
configuration which will allow this.  To print to the laserwriter,
appletalk must be active, which means the printer port cannot be in
use (at least with system 6.0.2).

Any suggestions?

--
A society is not civilized until it domesticates the icecube.

Cliff Loucks  <=>  loucks@intvax.UUCP
Sandia National Labs, Albuquerque, New Mexico

kent@sunfs3.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (09/16/89)

In article <1552@intvax.UUCP> loucks@intvax.UUCP (Cliff Loucks) writes:
>I have a Mac II with an Etherport card in it.  We use an ethernet
>link to access our laserwriters which works fine.  I would like to
>be able to use my serial (printer) port concurrently with the
>ethernet access to the printer.  I have not, however, found a
>configuration which will allow this.  To print to the laserwriter,
>appletalk must be active, which means the printer port cannot be in
>use (at least with system 6.0.2).

You might hook up the ImageWriter to the `modem' port.  ImageWriters
don't care which serial port they are hooked up to--though this idea
doesn't work so well if you are already using the modem port for
something like a modem.

As for actually hooking up to the `printer' port, maybe the
Communications Tool box has a user interface that will let you.
Anybody played with it enough to know?

I know you can get it through APDA (800-282-2732 or 408-562-3910) or
wait for System 7.0 sometime next year(?).

--
Kent Borg				"You know me, bright ideas
kent@lloyd.uucp				 just pop into my head!"

djlinse@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Dennis Linse) (09/18/89)

$
$As for actually hooking up to the `printer' port, maybe the
$Communications Tool box has a user interface that will let you.
$Anybody played with it enough to know?

We just got a new Mac IIx with Etherport card to go with our Mac II.  I
would like to have the Macs share a Laserwriter II through a simple
LocalTalk network between them.  I would also like to use NCSA Telnet
over the Ethernet in our lab to our other machines.  That looks
impossible from the above comments and the Etherport card docs.
(Impossible without playing the Control Panel/Chooser game each time
you want to do one or the other.)

Recently I thought I heard mention of a program (in this group) that would
run 'in the background' under Multifinder that would route stuff coming
in through the Etherport card and send it out through Appletalk to a
Laserwriter.  Laisson sticks in my mind.  Am I dreaming.  If not (and I
hope not, because that sounds very useful) could someone send me some
information about it?  I will summarize anything interesting (assuming I
get anything).

Thanks,

Dennis

--
Found at the top of a looonnng homework assignment:
   "Activity is the only road to knowledge"  G.B. Shaw

roland@dna.lth.se (Roland Mansson) (09/20/89)

In article <503@sunfs3.camex.uucp> kent@sunfs3.UUCP (Kent Borg) writes:
>As for actually hooking up to the `printer' port, maybe the
>Communications Tool box has a user interface that will let you.
>Anybody played with it enough to know?

I think I read something about this somewhere... With AppleTalk Phase II,
AppleTalk does not occupy the printer port if you run AppleTalk through
EtherTalk.

I think you need a new "AppleTalk" file in your system folder (see one
of the lastest tech notes for info about what version of AppleTalk
that is required). You may also need a newer Chooser and/or System file.
--
Roland Mansson, Lund University Computing Center, Box 783, S220 07 Lund, Sweden
Phone: +46-46107436   Fax: +46-46138225   Bitnet: roland_m@seldc52