[comp.sys.mac] Digitizer to output coordinate pairs

legler@masig2.masig1.ocean.fsu.edu (David M. Legler) (09/15/89)

I have a particular application whereby I need to trace over a picture
(actually a series of contour lines) using a digitizer and save the
location data of the digitizer crosshair into a file.  We currently
have an ancient ( ie greater than 9 years old) digitizer which outputs
coordinate pairs ( x,y locations) to a file via a serial connection.
This digitizer is on its last legs.

I would like to get a digitizer 'system' for the Mac which will do
this for me.  However, I have talked to CalComp and Kurta and they do
not know of any way to have the digitizer location data come across
into the Mac and become x,y pairs which can be dumped into a file.  As
with Mac ADB mice, etc  the locations are interpreted as motions on
the screen.  So how could I get the location data and have it dumped
into a file ??

One scenario is to startup a word processor program or communication
program whereby input can be saved.  Then invoke a DA, or 'something'
which will translate the digitizer signals to x,y location pairs and
write them to the screen.

Can anyone help me out here please ??

Thanks,

David M. Legler               ||(904)644-3798 or 644-4581
Mesoscale Air-Sea Interaction ||Bitnet legler%masig1.ocean.fsu.edu@cunyvm
          Group               ||SPAN   7480::"legler@masig1.ocean.fsu.edu"
Meteorology Annex  435 OSB    ||Arpa   legler@masig1.ocean.fsu.edu(128.186.3.1)
Florida State University      ||
Tallahassee, FL  32306-3041   || "An Apple a day, keeps the PC blues away"

61_3656@uwovax.uwo.ca (09/20/89)

rus@io.UUCP (Russell Sheptak) (09/20/89)

In article <LEGLER.89Sep14131309@masig2.masig1.ocean.fsu.edu>, legler@masig2.masig1.ocean.fsu.edu (David M. Legler) writes:

> I have a particular application whereby I need to trace over a picture
> (actually a series of contour lines) using a digitizer and save the
> location data of the digitizer crosshair into a file.

David,

I believe the latest release of MapMaker will do what you want using
the Kurta or other supported digitizing tablets.  It might take a
two or three step process to get a text file of screen coordinates,
but the newest MapMaker is designed to take input from the digitizing
tablets as a series of points connected by line segments (it
only stores the vertices).  You can then scale your input to either
pure screen coordinates or latitude/longitude pairs, and dump the
boundary file as a text file of point pairs.  You might then have
to edit the file to get it in the format your want, but the points
will be there.

Please email me if you need/want more information.  I have just started
working with MapMaker and a Kurta 12x17 tablet.

Rus

Disclaimer: I speak only for myself
UUCP: uunet!leafusa!rus                             Rus Sheptak
ARPA: rus@ileaf.com				    Interleaf
SNAIL:  42 Blue Hill Terrace, Milton, MA 02186      Cambridge, MA 02140