[comp.sys.mac] Hard drive options for a Mac SE

long@rainbo.enet.dec.com (Richard Long) (09/20/89)

I have a Mac SE, bought new with the single floppy/20MB hard disk setup.
Currently, I have a friend's Jasmine DD20 (external) attached to the SCSI port
for evaluation, since I need more space!  However, it seems like more of a pain
than it's worth to have multiple hard drives, and I think I'd prefer to have
one, larger drive.  I'm wondering, then, what options I would have in terms
of internal/external devices.  This is what I'm considering:

	1.  Remove internal hard drive, and replace with a larger capacity
unit.  How difficult is this?

	2.  Remove internal hard drive, replace with second floppy, and
purchase larger external hard drive.  Another option here is not to replace
the hard drive at all, but then I'm back at square one!  I have an external
floppy hooked up (a Cutting Edge); is it possible to gut it, and plop the
innards into the SE as a second floppy, after the hard drive has been removed?

	3.  This one is probably impossible, but you never know...  Is there
software available that would bind the two hard drives I currently have into
a single volume as far as the OS is concerned?

Just random musings, any help appreciated.

Rich

---
Disclaimer: I speak for myself only, but you can listen!
 /~~) /~~ /               ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long  --or--
/~~\ /__ /__              long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com

bmartin@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Brian Martin) (09/21/89)

In article <4842@shlump.nac.dec.com> long@rainbo.enet.dec.com (Richard Long) writes:

>	3.  This one is probably impossible, but you never know...  Is there
>software available that would bind the two hard drives I currently have into
>a single volume as far as the OS is concerned?

I received a flyer from MicroNet describing software that allows
multiple hard drives to be seen as a single volume by the OS. They go
on to claim that the software cuts the average access time by up to 50%
by using a sort of coarse-grained parallelism. For example, one of
their drive bundles, two CDC WREN runner drives configured as a single
volume, each with an uncached average access time of about 10ms, has an
effective average seek time of about 5ms.

I have no direct experience with MicroNet's software, but I have had
one of their CDC WREN drives for over a year now and have been very
happy with its performance.

-- Brian