[comp.sys.mac] MacDraw crash

pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Pablo Fernicola) (09/14/89)

Problem: I try to print a file from MacDraw, the system bombs.

Background: I can print from other applications without any problems.
I can print other MacDraw files without any problems, but the minute
I try to print this particular file, it crashes.

I tried to copy, using the clipboard, the figures in the file to an
untitled window and print.  It still chrashes.

What gives?? Is there a bug attached to the figures, or file?

BTW, the bomb has an ID=02.

I'm using a Mac Plus, 1 meg, a LW NTX, and MacDraw 1.95.  System 6.03.
--
pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu  Pablo Fernicola - Machine Intelligence Laboratory - UF
"If we knew how it works, it wouldn't be called research."

gilbertd@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) (09/14/89)

In article <20881@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Pablo Fernicola) writes:
>Problem: I try to print a file from MacDraw, the system bombs.

People in our department have reported similar mysterous, MacDraw print bombs
attached to some files.   Anyone want to call Claris to find out what is
going on?
	      -- Don     gilbertd@silver.bacs.indiana.edu

hpoppe@bierstadt.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (09/14/89)

In article <20881@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Pablo Fernicola) writes:
>Problem: I try to print a file from MacDraw, the system bombs.
>
>Background: I can print from other applications without any problems.
>I can print other MacDraw files without any problems, but the minute
>I try to print this particular file, it crashes.
>
>I tried to copy, using the clipboard, the figures in the file to an
>untitled window and print.  It still chrashes.
>
>What gives?? Is there a bug attached to the figures, or file?
>
>BTW, the bomb has an ID=02.
>
>I'm using a Mac Plus, 1 meg, a LW NTX, and MacDraw 1.95.  System 6.03.

We are seeing this problem also. It also happens on a Mac SE as well as
a Plus.

By the way, you don't mention which version of the LaserWriter driver
you are using. We have this problem with 5.2.

The problem seems to be related to having rotated text in the document.
If you don't have rotated text, we haven't seen the problem. If you
have rotated text you may or may not have the problem. One user
reported that she left the rotated text alone, moved other objects
and the document printed.

I haven't had the time to research the effects of changing versions
of the OS and LW drivers, etc, so can't recommend what is the latest
version of system software that doesn't have this problem
with MacDraw 1.9.5.

Herb Poppe      NCAR                         INTERNET: hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
(303) 497-1296  P.O. Box 3000                   CSNET: hpoppe@ncar.CSNET
		Boulder, CO  80307               UUCP: hpoppe@ncar.UUCP

osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP (09/16/89)

{problems printing with Draw}

Just for the record, we're having identical problems with an SE at the
school where I teach. It's a new machine, running 6.0.3, 2 megs RAM, internal
40meg HD, MacDraw 1.9.6. Try to print something from Draw, and it bombs,
with ID=10. Does it with a clean system (no INIT's, etc.). PLEASE post any
solutions to the net! Thanks.

Ron Morgan
osmigo@emx.utexas.edu

vturner@dante.nmsu.EDU (Vaughan Turner) (09/17/89)

I usually reply by direct mail, but several people seem to be having
the same problem, so I'll overcome my shyness and post here.

Our mac lab had the same problem, and here's what we did to fix it.
Following that is a non-technical description of what is going on,
please keep in mind that I'm not a programmer.

Try grouping the whole document together and then printing it.  All
you guys with this problem, please let me know if it works, I'm kindof
interested.

pseudo-explanation/discussion follows:

Some documents with rotated text only system error on the Plus, some
on the SE also.  If it didn't print on a Plus, try an SE, it might
work, and I don't understand why.  So far none of the documents that
have crashed either an SE or a Plus have crashed a Mac II (but this
makes at least a little more sense).

My understanding is that grouping a whole document modifies the
postscript code enough so that it will work properly.  I'd be
interested in hearing some ideas as to why, anyone?

Hope this helped,

Vaughan
--
------
Vaughan Turner                               BITNET:  mcswvt@nmsuvm1.bitnet

clay@claris.com (Clay A. Maeckel) (09/21/89)

hpoppe@bierstadt.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) writes:
>The problem seems to be related to having rotated text in the document.
>If you don't have rotated text, we haven't seen the problem. If you
>have rotated text you may or may not have the problem. One user
>reported that she left the rotated text alone, moved other objects
>and the document printed.

Note that the following only applies to anyone in the U.S. whether they're a
private individual or with a school.  Other people will have to contact their
country's Claris distributor.

People experiencing crashes with MacDraw 1.9.6 or earlier due to printing
rotated text on the most recent LaserWriter drivers can upgrade to version
1.9.8. A person who wants MacDraw 1.9.8 can have it by simply sending Claris
their original Apple or Claris labeled MacDraw 1.X disk to the address below.
It does not come with any documentation and there is no charge for this swap.

The address to mail the disk to:
     Claris
     Media Exchange - M/S C-70
     5201 Patrick Henry Drive
     Box 58168
     Santa Clara, CA  95052-8168

This info is from a customer support person here and if you have any other
questions you will most likely get a better and faster answer if you call
them directly. The Customer Relations number is 408-727-8227 and the Tech
Support number is 408-727-9054.

--Clay
--
 Clay Maeckel         *   UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!clay
 (I know nothing!)    *   Internet:  clay@claris.com  *  GEnie: C.MAECKEL

vturner@dante.nmsu.EDU (Vaughan Turner) (09/22/89)

I tried to respond to the MacDraw problem, but I think to Sun I post
through was not posting over the weekend.  If it has already been
posted and read, ignore it, otherwise, I hope it helps.

If you group the rotated text with something (even a box with no line
or fill), it should print alright.  Usually what we do at our mac lab
is to select all and then group, after that it seems to print ok.
Some files will print on an SE even though they won't print on a Plus,
and I don't really understand why.  A friend of mine suggested that
the Plus had less memory available because it needed more of the new
ram patches for old roms.  I have not found a file that would crash a
Mac II, although I suppose it is possible.

By the way, I'm usually not sure enough of what I say to post it to
the whole net, if this helped you, please let me know.  Does worlds of
good for the confidence.

Vaughan
--
------