[comp.sys.mac] Nisus TEXT docs

ianf@nada.kth.se (Ian Feldman) (09/19/89)

In article <1697@draken.nada.kth.se> d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:

>I need a word processor and editor (mostly the latter) that DOESN'T DELETE
>in the resource fork of the document. It can add it's own resources allright,
>but what's there has to be there when I save and quit, or else I'm out of the
>game...
>
>The question: Since NISUS seems to be such a good buy, how does it handle the
>resource fork ? I'd really like to know !

   Unfortunately it does just that - deletes the entire resource fork
   of an existing (say McSink) TEXT file - and gives you no _preselectable_
   automatic option to resave it as a TEXT document without affecting its
   already existing resource fork or changing the original creator field
   to one of its own.  This is, clearly, a mistake of such vast proportions
   that it renders Nisus <<effectively>> unusable in a multi-programming-
   tool environment.  Mind you, I'm talking about version 1.0.  I keep
   hearing that in spite of the newly released 2.0 which is, accordingly
   to many, "an improvement", a (Paragon) programmer already was mentioning
   an upcoming 3.0 release.  My, my.  Tell you something, Paragon.  Call
   me when you decided if Nisus is to be a MS-Word-class word processor
   or a super-duper programming editor with word processing capabilities.
   I could use the latter provided that you you fixed some of the stupid
   deficiencies that are present in the 1.0 ("jump to beg/ end of doc,
   next/previous paragraph | sentence | word executed in the form of
   interpreted macros & not listening to command/ shift/ option arrow
   keys". Real sloooow; I could laugh a night away if I wasn't so
   pissed off with the result.  Other examples of such non-quite-well-
   designed features too  numerous to mention but available on request)

   That is, call me if you're reading this, which I doubt in the first
   place.... so much for the (implied) product support where it really
   counts.... which should be right here, on usenet, and _not_ primarily
   available only by telephone within the geographics limits of US of A.
   Geography and user-support don't mix!

--
---- You just survived another load of gross exaggerations from
------- Ian Feldman, the ASCII hacker  /  "I work to live, not the

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (09/21/89)

In article <1707@draken.nada.kth.se> ianf@nada.kth.se (Ian Feldman) writes:
>In article <1697@draken.nada.kth.se> d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:
>
>> [original question about resource fork maintance]
>
>   Unfortunately it does just that - deletes the entire resource fork
>   of an existing (say McSink) TEXT file - and gives you no _preselectable_
>   automatic option to resave it as a TEXT document without affecting its
>   already existing resource fork or changing the original creator field
>   to one of its own.  This is, clearly, a mistake of such vast proportions
>   that it renders Nisus <<effectively>> unusable in a multi-programming-
>   tool environment.  Mind you, I'm talking about version 1.0.  I keep
>   hearing that in spite of the newly released 2.0 which is, accordingly
>   to many, "an improvement", a (Paragon) programmer already was mentioning
>   an upcoming 3.0 release.  My, my.  Tell you something, Paragon.  Call
>   me when you decided if Nisus is to be a MS-Word-class word processor
>   or a super-duper programming editor with word processing capabilities.

	If the fact that the program resaves TEXT with a different creator
and kills the resource fork is so '<<effeely>> unusuable' then do tell
what you use for a word processor??  Since all of the major WP's for the Mac
all have this deficiency (and I do agree that it is one!), then I guess you
don't use any of them, eh???
	(Oh, version 2.0 has the same problem, and I can't comment on
version 3.0 at this time...)
	As to your question about where Paragon sees Nisus in relation to
MSWord, that's a good question.  My understanding is that they want to go
head to head against MS, and are doing it in their own way.  In many ways they
have made inroads into the Mac WP market by offering a set of WP Tools that were
not available anywhere else (eg. GREP) and now they are working on coming back
with the tools that maybe they should have offered in the first place (ie.
footnotes/endnotes, outlining, etc.).  If you want to use Nisus as a WP, then
use it as such, it you want to use it as a 'super-duper pgramming editor, etc.'
then go ahead.  I tend to use it for both depending on the task at hand, and
since it is the only product out there I can use as such, that is another
STAR in it's corner...

>   I could use the latter provided that you you fixed some of the stupid
>   deficiencies that are present in the 1.0 ("jump to beg/ end of doc,
>   next/previous paragraph | sentence | word executed in the form of
>   interpreted macros & not listening to command/ shift/ option arrow
>   keys". Real sloooow; I could laugh a night away if I wasn't so
>   pissed off with the result.  Other examples of such non-quite-well-
>   designed features too  numerous to mention but available on request)

	According to the 'Nisus Quick Reference' card sitting next to my
Mac (I keep it there for GREP reference), there are indeed way to do all the
movement that you requested (jump to beg/end of doc, etc.) from the keyboard
which have been in since v1.0.  I would suggest that you read the first page
of the Quick Reference card for more information, for that matter, read the
docs, you might learn a thing or two!
	As to the speed of the Macro Language, I agree that it is far from
fast (and far from perfect  by any stretch of the imagination), but remember
that it is the ONLY WP with a builtin Macro language, and there are LOTS of
places they can go from here with it.  I am glad it's there, as it has come
in handy on many occasions to do things that could not have gotten done
otherwise (or at least not without a LOT of work!)
	(I will agree with you that there are a number of 'not-quite-well-
designed features though...)

>   That is, call me if you're reading this, which I doubt in the first
>   place.... so much for the (implied) product support where it really
>   counts.... which should be right here, on usenet, and _not_ primarily
>   available only by telephone within the geographics limits of US of A.
>   Geography and user-support don't mix!

	That is such a wonderful idea, but since not EVERYONE in the world can
get, or wants to get an account on a machine with USENET/Internet connectivety,
you can not hold ANY vender accountable for not being here online to support
you.  More and more companies are slowly beginning to find the benefits of
doing online support, and it's getting better...

>--
>---- You just survived another load of gross exaggerations from
>------- Ian Feldman, the ASCII hacker  /  "I work to live, not the

	and if I never have to survive another load, it will be too soon! <grin>

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

ianf@nada.kth.se (Ian Feldman) (09/22/89)

In article <13725@well.UUCP> svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:

>	If the fact that the program resaves TEXT with a different creator
>and kills the resource fork is so '<<effeely>> unusuable' then do tell
>what you use for a word processor??  Since all of the major WP's for the Mac
>all have this deficiency (and I do agree that it is one!), then I guess you
>don't use any of them, eh???

        Right you are, I don't use any of the existing WP:s save for an
        occassional post-edit in WriteNow 2.0 or Word 3.0.1.  Originally
        I used *only and exclusively* the word-processor inside the MS
        Works, which I find a fairly good job as far as simple writing
        tools go... and it ain't that simple (ie, primitive) either.
        However, for serious writing-cum-programming and editing of
        downloaded text-files (of which I have plenty) I exclusively
        use the McSink/ Vantage text processing DA.  I found that both
        your own Sigma-Edit and a french product "Joli Write" would give
        me similar functions (though McSink has more of it incl. a limited
        macro-language).  Simply put I distinguish between the text creation/
        writing stage (when I wouldn't play with multiple fonts and sizes
        anyway) and the editing/ formatting stage during which I might add
        some formatting commands that are not available from within McSink
        (that, being a "text", not "word", processor is limited to one font
        & size per window, although it can handle 16 open windows simulta-
        neuosly).  Apart from a nice set of built-in programming-related
        functions it is also *very fast*, especially when jumping in steps,
        works nicely without a mouse and coexists happily with other appli-
        cations.  It's not perfect but then, neither am I... ;-)

>	As to your question about where Paragon sees Nisus in relation to
>MSWord, that's a good question.

        Obviously, they are trying to go after both the MSWORD-market and
        to provide the programmer community with a successor to the QUED.
        The will was there, allright, although the execution leaves a lot
        to desire.  I must admit that Nisus is admirably inspiring in some
        parts (the DFLT resource in every doc; configurability of user
        interface, even the non-standard option-scrolling (=instantenous
        reverse-direction scrolling)) and, clearly, with a lot of oomph.
        In most other respects however, mainly due to its slow jumping and
        menu-decoding speed, it is a disaster.

>	According to the 'Nisus Quick Reference' card sitting next to my
>Mac (I keep it there for GREP reference), there are indeed way to do all the
>movement that you requested (jump to beg/end of doc, etc.) from the keyboard

        Jump to beg/ end of doc keybord-shortcuts merely call the interpre-
        ted macro functions.  This is *progress*?

>	As to the speed of the Macro Language, I agree that it is far from
>fast (and far from perfect  by any stretch of the imagination), but remember
>that it is the ONLY WP with a builtin Macro language

        Oh, I don't mind the macro-language being slow - it is always
        faster than hand-keyed-process alternatives.  I merely object
        to having strictly *primary* jumping functions implemented as
        macros instead of being hard-coded (which is NOT the same thing
        as being hard-wired to a particular (command-)<key>)

>	(I will agree with you that there are a number of 'not-quite-well-
>designed features though...)

>    product support where it really
>>   counts.... which should be right here, on usenet, and _not_ primarily
>>   available only by telephone within the geographics limits of US of A.
>>   Geography and user-support don't mix!
>>
>	That is such a wonderful idea, but since not EVERYONE in the world can
>get, or wants to get an account on a machine with USENET/Internet

        True, but, aren't we here the *CUTTING EDGE* of the _global_
        Macintosh community?  If not us, then who?  If not here then where?
        Paragon, if they are serious, should at least care about being
        visible here, question of support notwithstanding.

        So, it looks like it is TXXT next for me...
--
----
------ ianf@nada.kth.se/ @sekth.bitnet/ uunet!nada.kth.se!ianf