[comp.sys.mac] Old HyperDrive with System 6.03

johan@dutnak2.UUCP (09/16/89)

The Mac Plus I use at home has an old, non-SCSI internal HyperDrive
harddisk from General Computer. I presently use System 4.1,
Finder 5.5

I'm considering buying more memory and use the newest 6.03 system.
Is there a new version of the HyperInstall/Manager (I have V3R2)
software that will allow me to do so?

Johan de Haas     tel. +31 15 785188   E-mail: johan@dutnak0.tudelft.nl
Delft University of Technology
P.O Box 5046, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands

ianf@nada.kth.se (Ian Feldman) (09/16/89)

In article <908@dutrun.UUCP> johan@dutnak2.UUCP (Johan de Haas) writes:
>The Mac Plus I use at home has an old, non-SCSI internal HyperDrive
>harddisk from General Computer. I presently use System 4.1,
>Finder 5.5
>
>I'm considering buying more memory and use the newest 6.03 system.
>Is there a new version of the HyperInstall/Manager (I have V3R2)
>software that will allow me to do so?

First things first: forget about the 6.0.3 for a Plus.  Not even
   a ``vanilla'' MacII is fully pleased with a 6.0.3 installed.  This
   might be due to third-party inits that *are* compatible with the
   newest 68020 systems but, alas, not entirely with the 68030 Macintosh
   IIx and IIcx that the 6.0.3 is intended for.  In a couple of days
   Apple's gonna introduce the 6.0.4 system that is required for the
   Mac Laptop... are you going to stick it in your Plus too, just to
   have ``the latest''?  Human, thy name is vanity.... ;-)

Secondly: don't even think of replacing your present 4.1 system/ non-SCSI
   HyperDrive combo (that is running) with anything newer than system 4.3.
   Even better still: leave it alone, don't upgrade at all.  It runs now
   so why mess up a working non-standard-component system?

--
---- You just survived another load of gross exaggerations from
------- Ian Feldman, the ASCII hacker  /  "I work to live, not the

kent@sunfs3.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (09/20/89)

In article <1678@draken.nada.kth.se> ianf@nada.kth.se (Ian Feldman) writes:

>First things first: forget about the 6.0.3 for a Plus.  Not even
>   a ``vanilla'' MacII is fully pleased with a 6.0.3 installed.  This

What are you talking about?  6.0.3 works just fine on a Plus.

>Secondly: don't even think of replacing your present 4.1 system/ non-SCSI
>   HyperDrive combo (that is running) with anything newer than system 4.3.

I must agree with you here.  The internal HyperDrive is non-standard
enough that there is little hope you can run anything newer than what
General Computer Corp got working back when.

Soon it might be time to junk the internal HyperDrive and move into
the land of SCSI disks.

--
Kent Borg				"You know me, bright ideas
kent@lloyd.uucp				 just pop into my head!"

rfl@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Bob Loewenstein) (09/21/89)

I've been using system 6.02 since it came out on a HyperDrive 20.
Use V3R2 to install.

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (09/22/89)

The old HyperDrive stuff *almost* works with the newer systems.  For
example, if you boot from a floppy and then examine the drive queue,
you will find that there is an entry in the drive queue for the
HyperDrive stuff.  However, the driver reference number is -1.
This is why you can't mount any volumes: the driver reference number
is bogus.

I once wrote an INIT that found the HyperDrive entry and patched the
driver reference number to be the correct value, and I could then
use my HyperDrive with System 5.whatever.

I think that the problem has something to do with the drive number.  The
HyperDrive likes to use 64 as the drive number.  There is something in
later Macintosh system software that does not like high drive numbers.
I don't know what it is, but I too ran into it when I was working on
a SCSI disk driver.  My driver liked to pick drive numbers around 108,
and it failed to work right.  Changing it to prefer low drive numbers
caused it to work.

I think there was a tech note or an article somewhere or something like
that once that mentioned what is wrong with large drive numbers, but I
don't recall where it was.

I would guess that HyperDrive would work fine with System 6 is someone
could find the place where it assigns the drive number and patch this
to use a lower number.  Is this in the HyperDrive ROM, or is this in the
driver that is installed into the System file?  If the later is the case,
then it should be doable.

						Tim Smith