[comp.sys.mac] SE hard drives

leung@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (08/29/88)

I am thinking of buying a Mac SE, but can not decide on what drive option to
purchase.  The Apple 20 Meg hard drive is awfully slow.  Would it be better
to buy a third party internal or external drive?  Does anybody have any
experience with which brands to avoid or which brands are good?  Any info
at all would be appreciated.

Bruce Leung		leung@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu
Univ. of Illinois	{seismo,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uicsrd!leung

hoofb@psu-cs.UUCP (Bruce Hoof) (08/31/88)

In article <43100007@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu> leung@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:

>I am thinking of buying a Mac SE, but can not decide on what drive option to
>purchase.  The Apple 20 Meg hard drive is awfully slow.  Would it be better
>to buy a third party internal or external drive?  Does anybody have any
>experience with which brands to avoid or which brands are good?  Any info
>at all would be appreciated.

	I bought a Mac SE w/20HD SCSI computer back in November of '87.
When I got it I was tickled pink about the HD.  It was the first HD drive
I had and 85 ms seemed Lightning fast at the time. I never thought I would
use all of it either.  Well it is now August and I have not had my Mac for
a year.  Right after getting the computer I filled up all 20 MB with Purchased
and PD software.  Over time I have had to archive a lot of files because
I have kept running out of space.  Right now I have only the most frequently
used files on it and when I want an old file I have to go hunting for it.
Plus, since I develope programs, this fast drive has become extremely SLOW.

	The end result, I am now looking into a external 70+ Fast drive.
External because I can use it on any new Macs that I buy, and fast because
I am tired of the slow drive.

	The bottom line?  Get a two disk drive SE and buy a third Party HD.
Third party drives have come down in price and for a few extra dollars you
can double the size of the one apple offers.  You will get a bigger, faster
hard drive and have the two drives in the SE to use for faster backups.
I know I wish I had now.

Bruce Hoof
DISCLAIMER: I am not attached to any organization.  I am just a poor student
		getting through school. Hopefully soon.

-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
     		  Bruce Hoof | uunet  \                  hoofb@psu-cs   (LOCAL)
    Computer Science Student | ucbvax  }!tektronix!psu-cs!hoofb          (UUCP)
Portland State University CS | gatech /              hoofb@cs.pdx.edu   (CSNET)
Portland Center for Advanced | ihnp4 /  hoofb%cs.pdx.edu@relay.cs.net (ARPANET)
-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

devoz@pinocchio.encore.com (Joe DeVincentis) (09/21/89)

Fellow sufferers of hard - drive problems....  My hard
drive is detected by my mac only sporadically now.  (20
meg).  When it isn't detected, the red led on the front
blinks some sort of morse code or something, 3 long blinks,
then a bunch of short ones, too quick to count...

Anyone know what this means if anything?

thanks if you help!
Joe DeVincentis

rang@cs.wisc.edu (Anton Rang) (09/21/89)

In article <9972@multimax.Encore.COM> devoz@pinocchio.encore.com (Joe DeVincentis) writes:
>Fellow sufferers of hard - drive problems....  My hard
>drive is detected by my mac only sporadically now.  (20
>meg).  When it isn't detected, the red led on the front
>blinks some sort of morse code or something, 3 long blinks,
>then a bunch of short ones, too quick to count...

I don't know what this means either, but this is what my 20 MB started
doing (except my light's yellow, not red).  It's supposed to be fixed
tomorrow; if it's something unexpected (i.e. not just "bad drive")
I'll post what I find out....

+----------------------------------+------------------+
| Anton Rang (grad student)        | rang@cs.wisc.edu |
| University of Wisconsin--Madison |                  |
+----------------------------------+------------------+

"You are in a twisty little maze of Unix versions, all different."

ted@hpwrce.HP.COM ( Ted Johnson) (09/21/89)

My 20 Meg hard drive croaked a little while ago.
If you watch closely, you'll see that that access
light on the disk is beeping "S.O.S."  in Morse code.
Cute.

-Ted

P.S. I've been told that this means that the boot track
is hosed, and signifies a h.w. problem that can only be
fixed by replacing the disk.  I tried reinitializing the
h.d., but it couldn't be found by the Apple initializing
prog.

devoz@multimax.UUCP (Joe DeVincentis,EFD TR 75S TR 4S TL 1S TL,2622,7568004) (09/22/89)

From article <7380031@hpwrce.HP.COM>, by ted@hpwrce.HP.COM ( Ted Johnson):
> P.S. I've been told that this means that the boot track
> is hosed, and signifies a h.w. problem that can only be
> fixed by replacing the disk.  I tried reinitializing the
> h.d., but it couldn't be found by the Apple initializing
> prog.

Well, since my problem is intermittent, and 1ce out of so
many powerons the hard disk shows up and is FINE, this
boot-track hosing is either mis-information, or the
S.O.S. pattern is shared amongst certain error conditions...

devoz