[comp.sys.mac] Upgrade II -> IIci?

dhare%integral@Sun.COM (Dwight Hare) (09/22/89)

Has Apple announced anything about an upgrade from the plain old vanilla
Mac II to the new IIci?  The performance of the IIci is impressive enough
that I'm willing to consider paying the big bucks to upgrade.  If Apple
hasn't announced, what are the chances they eventually will offer such
an upgrade?  I would think they would, since one of the big selling points
about the Mac II was its ability to be upgraded easily.

Dwight Hare
sun!dhare  dhare@sun.com

>Has Apple announced anything about an upgrade from the plain old vanilla
>Mac II to the new IIci?

Not possible. A Mac II is a six slot machine with the large footprint. The
Mac IIci is the three slot package based on the IIcx. There's no way you
could field upgrade one to the other without simply taking one and replacing
it wholesale.

--

Chuq Von Rospach <+> Editor,OtherRealms <+> Member SFWA/ASFA
chuq@apple.com <+> CI$: 73317,635 <+> [This is myself speaking. I am not Appl

malczews@girtab.usc.edu (Frank Malczewski) (09/22/89)

In article <125113@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> dhare@sun.Eng (Dwight Hare) writes:
>Has Apple announced anything about an upgrade from the plain old vanilla
>Mac II to the new IIci?  The performance of the IIci is impressive enough
>that I'm willing to consider paying the big bucks to upgrade.  If Apple
>hasn't announced, what are the chances they eventually will offer such
>an upgrade?  I would think they would, since one of the big selling points
>about the Mac II was its ability to be upgraded easily.
>
>Dwight Hare
>sun!dhare  dhare@sun.com

Unfortunately, the sizes of the boxes are somewhat different.  You'll just have
to wait for the 33MHz Mac IIwhatever come next year (at least the odds are pretty
good that the cpu boxes will be the same...).  Pure 2+2 speculation.  Not
speculation is that it will cost >> arm+leg.
--

  -- Frank Malczewski		(malczews@girtab.usc.edu)

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (09/22/89)

In article <125113@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> dhare@sun.Eng (Dwight Hare) writes:
>Has Apple announced anything about an upgrade from the plain old vanilla
>Mac II to the new IIci?  The performance of the IIci is impressive enough
>that I'm willing to consider paying the big bucks to upgrade.  If Apple
>hasn't announced, what are the chances they eventually will offer such
>an upgrade?  I would think they would, since one of the big selling points
>about the Mac II was its ability to be upgraded easily.

It won't be possible to upgrade from a Mac II to a IIci, since the ci
uses the same form factor as the IIcx.  There are plans to offer an
upgrade route to the ci from the cx, though.  So far, I haven't heard
anything on pricing, only that it would be available "later this year".

To upgrade a II to something else (from Apple, that is; I'm not talking
about DayStar boards and such), you'll have to wait 'till Apple comes
out with something new that matches the II/IIx form factor :-).

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |