[comp.sys.mac] ** PMMUs: Limitations on Free Offer **

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (09/13/89)

Chet Freda from Motorola phoned me today, and I
am posting this message at his request.

He has been deluged by requests for free PMMUs,
including one person who asked for 100. Motorola
has a limited quantity to give away and is
restricting those to faculty.

Please don't deluge me with mail about this message
as I've passed on what I know above.

Steve Goldfield

jtwarden@pawl.rpi.edu (Joseph T. Warden) (09/23/89)

In <1989Sep12.183818.12365@agate.berkeley.edu> steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:
>Chet Freda from Motorola phoned me today, and I
>am posting this message at his request.
>
>He has been deluged by requests for free PMMUs,
>including one person who asked for 100. Motorola
>has a limited quantity to give away and is
>restricting those to faculty.

I received a MC68851RC16 (PMMU) chip today from Motorola as stipulated
in the earlier posting. Accompanying the chip was a standard
agreement to be signed which stipulated that the product was not to be
transferred for money, etc. Additionally enclosed was a letter from
Chet Freda which follows:

TO: PMMU/FPC Requestor
RE: Donations to Universities/Colleges of Motorola Components as
    appeared on EMAIL

    We regret to inform you that someone outside of Motorola had made
the announcement without our approval. These components are on allocation
and not available to the institutions in quantity. However we are
enclosing one of each component as requested.

    We will continue to donate other MOS-IC's on a LIMITED  basis for
university labs and student projects. For university use, a letter of
request. <sic> For students, a letter of request endorsed by professor
or counsellor.

    For quantity requirements, the University Support Programs,
Motorola Semiconductor Products Sector, will extend reduced prices to
Educational Institutions. One need only contact:

Fritz Wilson
Manager
University Support Programs
3102 North 56th Street MD 56-242
Phoenix, AZ 85018-6606
Phone: (602) 952-3855
FAX: (602) 994-6100

    Sorry for the inconvenience and/or disappointment the
unauthorized announcement may have caused.

Respectfully,

(signed) Chet Freda

I think this letter is self explanatory, and represents the quality
of management at Motorola. I am grateful for Motorola's response to
my request and I would remind all of us that use the net to show
restraint when situations like this are encountered.

Joseph Warden
Department of Chemistry
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Troy, NY

jtwarden@pawl.rpi.edu (Internet)
usera89v@rpitsmts (BITNET)

Disclaimer: The above does not represent the opinion of my
employer and is provided for informational purposes only. This
posting is made without the knowledge of Motorola, Inc.