[comp.sys.mac] Static guards when installing DRAMs?

crsp_ra@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (09/21/89)

What's the best way to guard against static when installing DRAMs in a Mac II?
I have access to one of those static guard bracelets.  To what should one
attach it?

crsp_ra@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
--------------------------------------
all opinions expressed here are my own
--------------------------------------

isr@rodan.acs.syr.edu ( ISR group account) (09/21/89)

Attach the clip  on the Static wrist-thingie to the metal things sticking
up around the edges of a mac II; on a plus/SE, to the metal bracket(s)
at the rear of the board. You should also attach a wire from the same
point you attached the static-band to a ground. (a cold water pipe or
the ground hole in a grounded outlet) If you are wearing a shirt with
long sleeves and those little plastic buttons at the end of the shirt,
roll the sleeeves up, those buttons can carry a charge even if you are
agrounded.

--
 Mike Schechter, Institute for Sensory Research, Syracuse Univ.
 isr@rodan.acs.syr.edu    -or-    msschech@rodan.syr.edu

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (09/21/89)

In <5479@tank.uchicago.edu> crsp_ra@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
> What's the best way to guard against static when installing DRAMs in a Mac
> II? I have access to one of those static guard bracelets.  To what should
> one attach it?

	Unplug the power cord.  Slip the strap around your wrist and clip
the alagator clip to the chassis ground of the machine you are working on
(i.e. some likely looking metal part of the frame).  If you really want to
be paranoid (I am) get one of those fancy 3M static kits.  It comes with a
conductive mat which you lay out on the work area, a cord to go from the
mat to a good ground, and another cord to go to the strap on your wrist.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

ta0o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Thomas Phillip Ambrose) (09/24/89)

Wear the static strap on your wrist.  I used them last summer as a
Technician.

-tom