[comp.sys.mac] Word 4 Screen Test

xdab@tank.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (09/13/89)

Word 4.0 has a feature found in the Command Commands section called
"Screen Test." When installed it appears in the Utilities menu and upon
activation it turns the screen black and starts a series of patterns,
a la Moire, across the screen. On a color monitor, it automatically
changes color.

Does anybody know why Microsoft included this in the program? I have
not been able to find any mention of it in the docs, and the company
reps have not responded to my questions on Compu$erve.

Thanks for your help. For a good time try holding down the command key
and clicking on the "W" in "About Microsoft Word" under the apple menu.

Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (09/15/89)

Hmmmm, that sure looks like Moire to me.  Interesting that it even gives
you a dialog box full of options to customize how it looks, or to cancel
it entirely.  Not only is it not covered in the manuals, it's not
mentioned in _Word 4 Companion_ by the Cobb Group; at least, I couldn't
find it in the index anywhere.  And the index even lists Commands by name,
but skips the Screen Test.  Hmmmm.  (On a different note, I wonder how
much code they could have skipped--how much slimmer they could have made
the program--by leaving that out.  Hey, a couple K is a couple K...)

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!Adam.Frix

englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) (09/18/89)

On a similar note, try holding down cmd-opt-shift while choosing "About
Word."

--

                                               - Scott

xdab@tank.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (09/19/89)

In article <10462@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) writes:
>On a similar note, try holding down cmd-opt-shift while choosing "About
>Word."

It doesn't do anything that I can see (using Word 4.0).

David Baird

Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (09/19/89)

Scott Englander writes:

<On a similar note, try holding down cmd-opt-shift while choosing "About
Word.">

Hmmmm, on my Plus w/system 6.0.2 (and a slew of INITs etc., including
Suitcase II), pressing the option key before choosing the apple menu
(where About... resides) makes the About... go away.  It has something to
do with shortening the apple menu so that Multifinder users can get to the
bottom of it more quickly to choose among the application names residing
there.

Maybe someone can explain what's supposed to happen with that, by the way.
I have a ton of DAs, and option-clicking the apple menu to get rid of the
About... item doesn't do much to shorten the apple menu.  Am I doing
something wrong?

--Adam--

--

jh0576@leah.Albany.Edu (Joe Houghtaling) (09/20/89)

In article <5449@tank.uchicago.edu>, xdab@tank.uchicago.edu (David Baird) writes:
> In article <10462@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) writes:
> >On a similar note, try holding down cmd-opt-shift while choosing "About
> >Word."
>

> It doesn't do anything that I can see (using Word 4.0).
>
> David Baird

  Try Command-Option-Clicking on the MS Word Logo in the About Box.

Joe Houghtaling
jh0576@leah.albany.edu

jsp@key.COM (James Preston) (09/21/89)

In article <2035@leah.Albany.Edu> jh0576@leah.Albany.Edu (Joe Houghtaling) writes:
}In article <5449@tank.uchicago.edu>, xdab@tank.uchicago.edu (David Baird) writes:
}> In article <10462@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) writes:
}> >On a similar note, try holding down cmd-opt-shift while choosing "About
}> >Word."
}>
}> It doesn't do anything that I can see (using Word 4.0).
}
}  Try Command-Option-Clicking on the MS Word Logo in the About Box.

You don't even need the option; a command-click is sufficient.

(For those who hate people who post these "try this and see what happens"
messages without telling you what happens, what happens is that the logo
falls to the bottom of the window (no, really, it does) and then you get
another window showing the names of the principle authors of the program
with a nifty pair of searchlight beams crisscrossing the window.  FYI:  I
tried this first on my SE/30, then on a normal SE.  The difference in the
speed of the searchlights is amazing.)

--James Preston

englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) (09/25/89)

Mea culpa!  I committed the perennial sin of giving advice from memory
(about something i did millions of brain cells ago.. :-)

The thing to try is to select "About Word" from the apple menu, then
hold dowm command-option while clicking on the MS logo.  Sorry about
that.
--

                                               - Scott