[comp.sys.mac] MacIIx Power Supply Upgrades

jmm@skivs.UUCP (Joel M. Miller) (09/23/89)

It seems relatively easy to exhaust the capacity of the MacIIx power supply.
I appear to have done it with 4MB RAM, a Relax WrenV disk, a Supermac
Spectrum8/II video card, a Tecmar NuLink tape card, and a National Instruments
NB-MIO-9 multifunction data acq card.

Does a power supply upgrade exist?  Will adding another 4MB RAM significantly
worsen the problem?  Any ideas about what I can do with the three slots I
cannot use?!#%!
--
Joel M Miller                      Internet: jmm@skivs.ski.org
Smith-Kettlewell Institute         Usenet:   uunet!skivs!jmm

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (09/25/89)

jmm@skivs.UUCP (Joel M. Miller) writes:

>It seems relatively easy to exhaust the capacity of the MacIIx power supply.
>I appear to have done it with 4MB RAM, a Relax WrenV disk, a Supermac
>Spectrum8/II video card, a Tecmar NuLink tape card, and a National Instruments
>NB-MIO-9 multifunction data acq card.

>Does a power supply upgrade exist?

In the PC universe, we'd get a bigger power supply.  That hard drive
isn't small; you could externally power it from a PC supply (I'm only
half-joking).   Alternately, you could comb the power-supply catalogues
for a comparable supply of similar form factor.

Power supplies are the great undiscovered gotcha in the Mac.  Over in
PC-land, we all got bit early and often by this one; even your 250-watt
supply has no overvoltage protection, so it's *SNAP* everytime a
component cooks.

Unless you spend $180 on a PC-Cool or similar U.S. supply.  Sorry, don't
think they've gotten to Macses yet.  Ask Sony--they make most of the Mac
supplies.

	Alex