[comp.sys.mac] Acius 4th Dimension - Compiling Procedures?

fortmiller@hpscad.dec.com (Ed Fortmiller 24-Sep-1989 2050) (09/25/89)

On page 381 of the V2.0 Language Reference Manual:
 "If you will be compiling your procedures ..."

So how does one go about compiling their prodecures?  I've checked the
index of each manual that came with V2 and the only place compile is
mentioned is in the LR manual.  Also I did a quick scan of all the manuals
and I don't see any additional info on compiling.

---
Ed Fortmiller		fortmiller@hpscad.dec.com
			--or-- ...!decwrl!hpscad.dec.com!fortmiller
			--or-- fortmiller%hpscad.dec@decwrl.dec.com
---

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (09/25/89)

In article <8909250051.AA06700@decwrl.dec.com> fortmiller@hpscad.dec.com (Ed Fortmiller  24-Sep-1989 2050) writes:
>On page 381 of the V2.0 Language Reference Manual:
> "If you will be compiling your procedures ..."
>
>So how does one go about compiling their prodecures?  I've checked the
>index of each manual that came with V2 and the only place compile is
>mentioned is in the LR manual.  Also I did a quick scan of all the manuals
>and I don't see any additional info on compiling.

ACIUS plans on releasing a compiler for 4th Dimension.  From what I
gather, it's still a few months away from being ready for release.
ACIUS (and probably ACI, the parent company) are also trying to
determine how it will be marketed, policies on licenses, etc.

4D V2.0 is much faster than its predecessor already; it's interesting
to consider what a compiler (which would reduce the interpreted
procedural language to machine code) would do...

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |