[comp.sys.mac] Net Trek

rsherm@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Roby Sherman) (08/22/88)

Does anyone know if there is a newer version of nettrek that will either work
better on the Mac II and/or support color??

--
Roby Sherman                    UUCP Access : {gould!uunet}!umbio!rsherm
                                Internet    : rsherm%umbio@umigw.miami.edu

"Pulver the river and Frotz the woods... " -- A Zorkian Xmas Tree Monster

bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) (08/23/88)

In article <318@umbio.MIAMI.EDU> rsherm@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Roby Sherman) writes:
>Does anyone know if there is a newer version of nettrek that will either work
>better on the Mac II and/or support color??

About a year ago, a version of nettrek was submitted to be posted to
comp.binaries.mac, but the author wrote stating that the version in
question was full of bugs, and requesting that I not post it.  I
understood that he had/was trying to release it as a commercial
product.  Has anyone seen it?

In any case, I would assume that as a commercial product, he'd
support the latest and greatest Mac hardware.
--
	Roger L. Long
	dhw68k!bytebug

thomas@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Thomas Summerall) (08/25/88)

I don't know about any new versions of NetTrek, but what I do know is that I
sent the author a check for the $25 he requested.  Along with this check
I asked several questions about the game and requested the updated version
promised in the dialogue box.

I have yet to hear anything from the author, but my check was cashed...3
months later.

I support shareware, but for $25 you would at least think that purchasers
would get a notification of new versions, If not the disks themselves.

victoro@crash.cts.com (Victor O'Rear) (08/26/88)

In article <9911@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> thomas@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Thomas Summerall) writes:
>I don't know about any new versions of NetTrek, but what I do know is that I
>sent the author a check for the $25 he requested.  Along with this check
>I asked several questions about the game and requested the updated version
>promised in the dialogue box.
>
>I have yet to hear anything from the author, but my check was cashed...3
>months later.
>
>I support shareware, but for $25 you would at least think that purchasers
>would get a notification of new versions, If not the disks themselves.

This just in...

>[message 15 of 15, 1524 chars, 42 lines]

>From crash!apple.apple.com!carr Wed Aug 24 15:56:04 1988
>From: Randy Carr <crash!apple.com!carr>
>To: victoro@crash.cts.com
>Subject: Re: Appletalk Games
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac

>>In article <3179@crash.cts.com> you write:
>>I'm looking for networked games (PD, I don't want to hear about Falcon)
>>such as NetTrek, Maze Wars and Bouncing Bombs.. These I have, are there
>>others?  Did Net Trek 1.0 go commercial? Or are there updates?

Guess what! NetTrek is about to go commercial!  After a grueling 2 years
of negotiation with lots of publishers, I've have reached an agreement
with PBI Software to distribute the game.  It will be known as NetTrek
2.0 and be both single and multi-player.  Oh yes, and will run on the
Mac II in color and under multi-finder, and of course, not be copy
protected!

Questions?  Send me mail...

Randy Carr (NetTrek Author)
Network Systems Development, Apple Computer, Inc.
20525 Mariani Ave., Cupertino, CA 95014
AppleLink: CARR2
Domain: carr@Apple.COM
UUCP: {sun,voder,nsc,decwrl}!apple!carr

!  Victor O'Rear {hplabs!hp-sdd, akgua, sdcsvax, nosc.mil}!crash!victoro      |
|  ARPA: crash!victoro@nosc.ARPA and home: (619) 588-7423 (Sand Eigo, Ca)     |
|  "Fools, Idiots! Don't they realize that they are dealing with forces       |
|        beyond comprehension!" - "Doctor Science"                            |

xerox@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (James Osborne) (09/18/89)

	I've been playing NetTrek for at least a year.  This summer I bought
the 'Real' version at the MacWorld in Boston.  First- one complaint.  I don't
know if there is some copyright problem that Randy had to avoid, but the
new space-shuttle-like Terran ships are no substitute for the Real Federation
starship.

	My problem, though, is that I would like to be able to play across
campus, but each dorm is its own Appletalk zone.  Is there any way to 'change'
the zone you're recognized in?  Also, if Randy Carr (the game
's creator) is out there- Is there any way to make to program search for
other trekkers across zones?
	I'm very macintosh literate except where it comes to appletalk
networks, so I would appreciate any mail that might help.

Thanks,
James.Osborne@mac.dartmouth.edu

bernard.becker@canremote.uucp (BERNARD BECKER) (09/24/89)

According to the latest Technotes I received from Apple the new
AppleTalk 2.0 will allow you to designate which zone you wish to belong
to.
<<BB>>
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1aR

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (09/25/89)

In article <89092403144644@masnet.uucp> bernard.becker@canremote.uucp (BERNARD BECKER) writes:
>According to the latest Technotes I received from Apple the new
>AppleTalk 2.0 will allow you to designate which zone you wish to belong

This is only if you are on an Ethernet that has more than one zone on
it. You are limited in choice to only the zones declared for that ethernet.

	Paul

--
Paul Campbell    UUCP: ..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul     AppleLink: D3213
"Free Market": n. (colloq.) a primitive fertility goddess worshipped by an