[comp.sys.mac] La Cie Sucks wind

bernard.becker@canremote.uucp (BERNARD BECKER) (09/24/89)

LaCie Sucks chunks. I work for a Canadian Dealer and we considered
carrying the LaCie line of kit drives. We ordered a drive through Adam
peripherals. Recently the Fan Assembly croaked. I am the service tech at
the dealership and I took the drive apart and discovered that in fact
the small circuit board which leads to the two 25 pin connectors was not
making proper connection. I must admit that the drive has taken a lot of
punishment in that I am do a lot of onsite repairs and the drive goes
with me. It is an ideal drive for this because of this. I cannot foult
LaCie on thier product nor their software. But if you are unfortunate
enough to ever have it break you will be left swinging in the wind. A
quality product is only 50% of the equation. I have an RMA number for
the dead part and they have agreed to send me a new part. I've called
perhaps 10 or 12 times. I am calling long distance from Toronto Canada
to Tigard Oregon. Fortunately this is being billed to the company I work
for. If I had to make a personal decision I would never NEVER buy a
LaCie product. They have abandoned their Canadian distributor and he
cannot get parts and they will not return calls nor will they send you
the parts they have promised. When you call some bubble headed miss
America type gives you the stall, takes your number, and then they
forget about you.
At the moment I am dragging around an Apple 80. At least when it breaks
Apple will give me service parts. I know Apple is more expensive but in
Canada we get a one year warranty from Apple on all equipment purchased
and the warranty means something because it is honoured. I can walk into
any Apple dealer and have my drive fixed.
If anyone from LaCie reads the net I hope you take this a dissatisfied
customer feed back. I work for a dealer and am on many of the Local
boards as well as being involved with local users groups. Anyone who
asks about LaCie drives gets the report that Lacie sucks.
If you do ever choose to send me the needed part to repair this drive I
will inform the net as to how long it took. At this point I am going to
return the drive to your Canadian supplier for full refund on the basis
of non compliance with warranty.
May the marketplace decide with their dollars who wins and who loses.
I hope to see a LaCie Liquidation sale soon.
<<BB>>
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1aR

steve@cpdaux.UUCP (Steve Lemke) (09/25/89)

In article <89092403144572@masnet.uucp> bernard.becker@canremote.uucp writes:
}I know Apple is more expensive but in
}Canada we get a one year warranty from Apple on all equipment purchased
}and the warranty means something because it is honoured. I can walk into
}any Apple dealer and have my drive fixed.

Why is it that Apple has a year warranty in Canada but not in the States?
Did Apple Canada decided to override the normal policy?  What gives?
--
----- Steve Lemke ------------------- "MS-DOS (OS/2, etc.) - just say no!"
----- Internet: cpdaux!steve@apple.com                GEnie:  LEMKE

t-jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) (09/25/89)

I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion, my opinion is that your opinion
sucks and not LaCie. We have a dozen or more of their drives here and have
had to send a couple back and got prompt service.

I'm sure there are others like yourself who didn't get the perfect service
you expected but I suspect the majority of people were satisified with
LaCie. They are a small company trying to grow in a smart way. They are some-
times hard to get throught to their service reps.

I have recommended LaCie drives to a dozen or so people and none of them have
had problems with them.

Disclamer: I have no connection with LaCie.

Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu

mnkonar@manyjars.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Murat N. Konar) (09/26/89)

In article <524@cpdaux.UUCP> cpdaux!steve@apple.com (Steve Lemke) writes:
>Why is it that Apple has a year warranty in Canada but not in the States?
>Did Apple Canada decided to override the normal policy?  What gives?

I was talking to an Apple dealer the other day about Apple's dumb
90-day warranty (in the States, anyway).  He admitted to me that the
whole point of offering only a 90 day warranty is that it gives customers
an incentive to buy AppleCare.  AppleCare makes dealers lots of money.
So its a way for Apple to let dealers make money on Macs without
cutting into Apple's profits.

What a drag.

Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar        Honeywell Systems & Research Center, Camden, MN
mnkonar@SRC.honeywell.com (internet) {umn-cs,ems,bthpyd}!srcsip!mnkonar(UUCP)