[comp.sys.mac] MacWrite II cut/paste/crash bug!

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (09/20/89)

I came across a nasty bug in MacWrite II that I suspect other people have
found, also.  I'd like to know how I can work around it, or get an upgrade...

It seems that when I cut and paste text under certain normal circumstances (I
haven't yet isolated the circumstances), the document will suddenly be trashed.
The text will become garbled, the cursor will behave in a *very* strange
manner, and finally MWII will repeatedly try to re-flow the document until it
gives up and crashes.

Anybody else come across this whiz-banger of a bug?

     << Brian >>
--
| Brian S. Kendig       |  I feel more like I   | bskendig                   |
| Computer Engineering  |  did when I got here  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU     |

pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Paul Jacoby) (09/21/89)

Brian writes:
>>It seems that when I cut and paste text under certain normal circumstances
  (I haven't yet isolated the circumstances), the document will suddenly be
  trashed).
<<

Brian, call Tech Support and request MacWrite II v 1.0v2.  To quote from the
update letter (you do have to request this one):
  "Changes in this version include:
    * Cut and Past operates [sic] correctly under low memory conditions
    * Margins are correct when printing to an Imagewriter

You get new copies of the application, Dictionary, Thesaurus, and Help files.
.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| UUCP: {rosevax, crash, orator}!orbit!pnet51!pj |  Working with idiots keeps |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!pj@nosc.mil           |  my life interesting...    |
| INET: pj@pnet51.cts.com                        |                            |

Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (09/21/89)

About the cut and paste bug in MacWrite II, causing it to crash:  Check
the version number (get info) of your copy of MW II.  If you have 1.0v1,
call Claris, have your serial number ready, and ask them for version
1.0v2.  They claim to have fixed the cut/paste problem in the later
version.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!Adam.Frix

jake@claris.com (Char Fugel) (09/26/89)

From article <10510@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, by bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig):
> I came across a nasty bug in MacWrite II that I suspect other people have
> found, also.  I'd like to know how I can work around it, or get an upgrade...
>
> It seems that when I cut and paste text under certain normal circumstances (I
> haven't yet isolated the circumstances), the document will suddenly be trashed.
> The text will become garbled, the cursor will behave in a *very* strange
> manner, and finally MWII will repeatedly try to re-flow the document until it
> gives up and crashes.
>
> Anybody else come across this whiz-banger of a bug?
>
>      << Brian >>
> --
> | Brian S. Kendig       |  I feel more like I   | bskendig                   |
> | Computer Engineering  |  did when I got here  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU     |
> | Princeton University  |       than I do now.  | @PUCC.BITNET               |
> | Systems Engineering, NASA Space Station Freedom / General Electric WP3     |
Brian -

MacWrite II 1.0v2 should conquer the cut/copy/paste problem you're having.
This is a free update available to you directly from the campus reseller -
assuming of course you purchased your MacWrite there. If you bought your copy retail, then you need to call Claris direct.

Char -- Claris Customer Relations