[comp.sys.mac] FullWrite font problem

kern@arecibo.aero.org (09/19/89)

I've installed several fonts into a Suitcase including
Camelot, Aberdeen, Venice, and some other non-standard
ones.  Unfortunately, when I try to use these fonts when
in FullWrite version 1.0 they come out *extremely* obsure
and often with a great deal of blankspace between each letter.
Is my MacIIcx the only one blessed with such a problem or
has someone else come across it?

	JC Kern

	e-mail: kern@arecibo.aero.org
	p-mail: 1030 7th St., Hermosa Beach, CA 90254
	(213) 336-3573

	Zensunni curse:  May you live in interesting times

ric@netcom.UUCP (Richard Bretschneider) (09/20/89)

kern@arecibo.aero.org writes:

>I've installed several fonts into a Suitcase including
>Camelot, Aberdeen, Venice, and some other non-standard
>ones.  Unfortunately, when I try to use these fonts when
>in FullWrite version 1.0 they come out *extremely* obsure
>and often with a great deal of blankspace between each letter.
>Is my MacIIcx the only one blessed with such a problem or
>has someone else come across it?

I have.  I believe this problem is one that got a lot of
discussion when FullWrite was first released.  Macintosh fonts
contain some information about spacing that isn't used by
most applications, but FullWrite does use it.  However, a couple
of system releases ago, Apple released a version of Font/DA Mover
that hosed that spacing info in fonts it installed.  If you
use one of these "stripped" fonts with FullWrite, the character
spacing is all screwed up (your description seems mild in
my experience.)
To make a long story short, if you go back to the original, shipped
versions of the suspect fonts (you didn't touch the original
disks with F/DAM, did you? ;-) you'll find the problem goes
away.  Of course if you got the fonts in an already hosed state
you're in for a bigger search.

Ric                           "They're probably foreigners
Bretschneider                       with ways different from our own."

  These ill considered and poorly constructed ideas are my own,
           and I love every of them one dearly.

userDBUG@ualtamts.BITNET (Dan Berry) (09/21/89)

In article <57979@aerospace.AERO.ORG>, kern@arecibo.aero.org writes:

>I've installed several fonts into a Suitcase including
>Camelot, Aberdeen, Venice, and some other non-standard
>ones.  Unfortunately, when I try to use these fonts when
>in FullWrite version 1.0 they come out *extremely* obsure
>and often with a great deal of blankspace between each letter.

I, too have had this problem.  Unfortunately, there is nothing you
can do about it except not use those fonts.  And, worse off, it's
not just THOSE fonts.  There are a number of ones out there that
are deranged as well.

Another problem that I have is when I define the "hot-key" to be
the Control-del (NOT delete/backspace) sequence.  I keep getting
the graphic for the del character appearing with my text.  Odd, to
say the least.
-------
Dan Berry -- U.of Alberta. Computing Systems (Network & DataComm.)
* CORRESPONDENCE: UserDBUG@UAltaMTS.BITNET
* FILE TRANSFERS: ..!ubc-cs!alberta!ualtasun!dan@uunet.uu.net

KIrwin@cup.portal.com (Kent Thomas Irwin) (09/26/89)

In article <57979@aerospace.AERO.ORG>, kern@arecibo.aero.org writes:
>I've installed several fonts into a Suitcase including
>Camelot, Aberdeen, Venice, and some other non-standard
>ones.  Unfortunately, when I try to use these fonts when
>in FullWrite version 1.0 they come out *extremely* obsure
>and often with a great deal of blankspace between each letter.
>Is my MacIIcx the only one blessed with such a problem or
>has someone else come across it?

Yes, this font problem is well documented in one of Ashton-Tate's Technical
Documents, "FullWrite Support Note #1".  I recommend you call the Ashton-Tate
BBS (213-324-2188) and download this file (I think the filename is FWNOTE1.SIT
There are also several technical notes dealing with some other common
questions about FullWrite.
:-) Kent T. Irwin          Usenet: kirwin@cup.portal.com
:-) Egoware, Ltd.          UUCP: sun!cup.portal.com!kirwin
:-)                        CIS: 76703,3007      GEnie: KENT.IRWIN