[comp.sys.mac] New SIMMs for the Macintosh IIci???

granteri@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Grant Erickson) (09/24/89)

After a long run down of the Macintosh IIci and the Macintosh Portable and the
Minnesota Macintosh Users Group meeting, I was enlightend to the fact that in
the IIci you must use 80 nanosecond F)ull P)age M)ode SIMMs. These must be
used to take advantage of the burst-mode of the 68030.

My question is, will these cost more than current SIMMs and how much more will
they be?

Please respond to both the net and E-Mail if possible.

Grant Erickson

._________________________________________________________.
| UUCP: {rosevax, crash, orator}!orbit!pnet51!granteri    |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!granteri@nosc.mil              |
| INET: granteri@pnet51.cts.com                           |
| The right half of the brain controls the left half      |
| of the body. This means that only left-handed people    |
| are in their right mind.                                |
!_________________________________________________________!

jeff@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu (Jeffrey C. Kantor) (09/25/89)

In article <1149@orbit.UUCP>, granteri@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Grant Erickson) writes:
> After a long run down of the Macintosh IIci and the Macintosh Portable and the
> Minnesota Macintosh Users Group meeting, I was enlightend to the fact that in
> the IIci you must use 80 nanosecond F)ull P)age M)ode SIMMs. These must be
> used to take advantage of the burst-mode of the 68030.
>
>  [stuff deleted]

What is a F)ull P)age M)ode SIMM?  I know what the 80ns bit is all about,
but what does the FPM bit mean?

More to the point, if I order 80ns SIMMs from the usual list of SIMM vendors,
will they work in a MacIIci?

--
Jeff Kantor
                                       US Mail:  Dept. of Chemical Engineering

granteri@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Grant Erickson) (09/25/89)

jeff@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu (Jeffrey C. Kantor) writes:
>In article <1149@orbit.UUCP>, granteri@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Grant Erickson) writes:
>> After a long run down of the Macintosh IIci and the Macintosh Portable and the
>> Minnesota Macintosh Users Group meeting, I was enlightend to the fact that in
>> the IIci you must use 80 nanosecond F)ull P)age M)ode SIMMs. These must be
>> used to take advantage of the burst-mode of the 68030.
>>
>>  [stuff deleted]
>
>What is a F)ull P)age M)ode SIMM?  I know what the 80ns bit is all about,
>but what does the FPM bit mean?
>
>More to the point, if I order 80ns SIMMs from the usual list of SIMM vendors,
>will they work in a MacIIci?
>

>--
>Jeff Kantor
>                                       US Mail:  Dept. of Chemical Engineering
>internet: jeff@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu                University of Notre Dame
>    uucp: iuvax!ndmath!ndcheg!jeff               Notre Dame, IN   46556  USA

Well as Paul Pashibin of Apple Corporate in Bloomington, MN explained it as
being this. Lets say you have a data word. The 68030 grabs the first 1/4 in 5
cycles, the 2nd 1/4 in 5 cycles, the 3rd 1/4 in 5 cycles, and the final 1/4 in
5 cycles. This ends up taking 20 cycles consequently. So with the FPM SIMMs
together with the 68030's burst mode, it reads 1st: 5 Cycles and the next
consecutive 3 in 2 Cycles each. There for you have a total of 11 Cycles
compared to 20 giving you a 181% speed increase in that situation. I myslef do
not know if people like Chip Merchant will have these at the current low $89
price for NORMAL 80Ns SIMMs.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Apple nor Chip Merchant or anyother
company that you might want to dream up.

Grant Erickson

._________________________________________________________.

mdj@apple.com (Michael D. Johnson) (09/25/89)

In article <781@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu> jeff@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu (Jeffrey C.
Kantor) writes:
> What is a F)ull P)age M)ode SIMM?  I know what the 80ns bit is all about,
> but what does the FPM bit mean?

FPM stands for *Fast* Page Mode not Full Page Mode.  Page Mode RAM allows
the RAS line to be held down while the CAS line is used to pulse bits out
quickly.

-----------------------
Just remember;  I said it, Apple didn't.

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (09/26/89)

In article <1150@orbit.UUCP> granteri@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Grant Erickson) writes
>jeff@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu (Jeffrey C. Kantor) writes:
>>In art <1149@orbit.UUCP>, granteri@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Grant Erickson) writes:

>>> ... I was enlightend to the fact that in
>>> the IIci you must use 80 nanosecond F)ull P)age M)ode SIMMs. These must be
>>> used to take advantage of the burst-mode of the 68030.
>>>  [stuff deleted]
>>
>>What is a F)ull P)age M)ode SIMM?  I know what the 80ns bit is all about,
>>but what does the FPM bit mean?
>>More to the point, if I order 80ns SIMMs from the usual list of SIMM vendors,
>>will they work in a MacIIci?

>Well as Paul Pashibin of Apple Corporate in Bloomington, MN explained it as
>being this. Lets say you have a data word. The 68030 grabs the first 1/4 in 5
>cycles, the 2nd 1/4 in 5 cycles, the 3rd 1/4 in 5 cycles, and the final 1/4 in
>5 cycles. This ends up taking 20 cycles consequently. So with the FPM SIMMs
>together with the 68030's burst mode, it reads 1st: 5 Cycles and the next
>consecutive 3 in 2 Cycles each. There for you have a total of 11 Cycles
>compared to 20 giving you a 181% speed increase in that situation. I myslef do
>not know if people like Chip Merchant will have these at the current low $89
>price for NORMAL 80Ns SIMMs.
>
>Grant Erickson

Well, I called Chip Merchant this afternoon and the woman on the phone claimed
that their Samsung 80ns SIMMS are FPM.  I do not know how one could confirm
this though.  If I post a chip # from the simm, does someone have a Samsung
part list to look it up on.  Speed was always an easy thing to identify from
the -xx number, but I have no idea what identifies an FPM chip.

Josh

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104