[comp.sys.mac] HP DeskWriter - some questions

engber@thylacine.CS.WISC.EDU (Mike Engber) (09/27/89)

I have a chance to get a DeskWriter at a good price, but there are some things
I want to know:

What programs have problems printing on the DeskWriter? Some specific programs
I use are Word, Excel, SuperPaint, PowerPoint, THINK compilers, Allegro CL.

Is it worth getting the extra fonts or will products like Adobe's Type
Manager and outline fonts in System 7.0 work with the DeskWriter and
give me the same quality output.

About how many pages can I expect from an ink cartridge and how much do
new cartridges cost (and where can I get them)

How does its speed compare to a LaserWriter?

Can I put it on an AppleTalk Network?

Any other problems (or good experiences) people are having with the DeskWriter.

Please respond via email if you can

-ME

dorourke@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (David M. O'Rourke) (09/27/89)

engber@thylacine.CS.WISC.EDU (Mike Engber) writes:
>What programs have problems printing on the DeskWriter? Some specific programs
>I use are Word, Excel, SuperPaint, PowerPoint, THINK compilers, Allegro CL.

  Excel 2.2 seems to work fine, I haven'ed the others..

>Is it worth getting the extra fonts or will products like Adobe's Type
>Manager and outline fonts in System 7.0 work with the DeskWriter and
>give me the same quality output.

  If you can live with the 4 basic fonts, i.e. Courier, Times, Helvetica, &
Symbol, I'd wait for sys. 7.0 and see what comes about.  If you don't
like the way 7.0 handles the situation then you can purchase alternative
font set ups to suit your needs.  The implied premise in this argument is
that you WILL probably be happy with 7.0, and that will leave you with
lots of not-so-cheap font products that are no longer necessary.

>About how many pages can I expect from an ink cartridge and how much do
>new cartridges cost (and where can I get them)

  We've gotten about 500 pages so far, but your milage may vary.  It seems
that you get about 1 cartrige to one ream of photocopier paper, kinda
convient.  :-)

>How does its speed compare to a LaserWriter?

  On an SE/30 it's fast enough, and besides the time goes by faster cause you
can watch it work.  LaserWriter's are boring because you can't see them
doing anything.  The DeskWriter is much more fun to watch.  :-)

  I haven't done any speed trials, but I'm sure you'll be pleased.

>Can I put it on an AppleTalk Network?

  Good question, I don't know.  I've heard rumor's of doing it with a net
serial, but those are only rumor's.  There is no "offical" HP support for
AppleTalk.  :-(

>Any other problems (or good experiences) people are having with the DeskWriter.

  It's not perfect, the ink runs when you try and highlight it with a high
lighter.  But it is an EXCELLENT printer!!!  I would recommend it to anyone
as a great personal printer.  It's the almost perfect companion for the
Macintosh.

>Please respond via email if you can

  sorry, saw this part too late  :-(
--