[comp.sys.mac] Version 2.0 of 4th Dimension

layne@mum.cis.ohio-state.edu (eric b layne) (09/27/89)

I too think version 2 is much faster already.  It also has many nice
new features.  However, there are some things that are a bit wierd.

There is no way to delete fields or files.  The manuals say to save
your unwanted files/fields in case you need them later.  This seems like
a step backwards to me.  Any idea of the reason behind it?

The window system doesn't work the same way.  Before the window appeared
on top of what ever was on the screen.  (i.e. dialog, input layout, etc.)
Now, it reverts back to the title screen and displays the window.  This
is not always desirable.

Has anyone else had problem with the modify record command.  Sometimes
4d totally ignores that command (I'll go into debug mode and watch it and
it doesn't do anything when it hits it.)

I was also hoping the new version would include some way to access data
in other 4d file.  You know, the way Foxbase has the view window where you
can load multiple databases.

I also can't find the 100X speed improvement Acius promised.  Foxbase is
much faster at indexing.

liemandt@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Joe Liemandt) (09/27/89)

In article <62815@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> eric b layne <layne@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>I too think version 2 is much faster already.  It also has many nice
>new features.  However, there are some things that are a bit wierd.
>
>There is no way to delete fields or files.  The manuals say to save
>your unwanted files/fields in case you need them later.  This seems like
>a step backwards to me.  Any idea of the reason behind it?

There were a couple of reasons.  the first is that it did not always work
reliably in 1.0.  I knew of a couple ways to corrupt your data file by
deleting fields in the first file of the database.

	the other has to do with 2.0's new ability to let multiple structure
files read the same data file.  If someone with structure A deletes a file
or field, structure B,C or D can no longer access that data file.

>The window system doesn't work the same way.  Before the window appeared
>on top of what ever was on the screen.  (i.e. dialog, input layout, etc.)
>Now, it reverts back to the title screen and displays the window.  This
>is not always desirable.

I'm not sure what you mean. In 1.0 you were limited to one other open window
(besides 4D's primary). In 2.0 you can open multiple windows. You may want
to check your coding to see if you are calling a "close window" for each
open window.

>Has anyone else had problem with the modify record command.  Sometimes
>4d totally ignores that command (I'll go into debug mode and watch it and
>it doesn't do anything when it hits it.)

Make sure you have a current record when you call this (go into the
debugger and display a field value). If you do not have a current
record when you call this command, nothing will happen.  It is much
easier to make this mistake in 2.0 because of the added flexibility.

>I was also hoping the new version would include some way to access data
>in other 4d file.  You know, the way Foxbase has the view window where you
>can load multiple databases.

You can only have one current database opened at a time.  But this database
can contain up to 99 files. Foxbase limits you to 10 files in the view window.

>I also can't find the 100X speed improvement Acius promised.  Foxbase is
>much faster at indexing.

It depends on what you are doing. There are actually some things that
are over 100x faster (like deleting and restructuring w/ Tools), but most
were less than that.  But 2.0 is "fast enough". Speed is no longer the
big issue it was with 1.0

Joe Liemandt
Stanford University
liemandt@jessica.stanford.edu  <--Room flooded so I may not get it