[comp.sys.mac] MindWrite 2.1

jcocon%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (James C. O'Connor III, 2846) (09/23/89)

I am a new owner of MindWrite 2.1 and am very happy with it.  If you are
interested in the product, they are available direct from the company for
free, you just have to buy a $45 t-shirt.  Thought I'd share the joy, since
I am a very happy customer - but otherwise unassociated with access or who-
every owns them now.  So far as I know, this promotion is going to last
through the end of September.
Jim

rock%warp@Sun.COM (Bill Petro) (09/24/89)

jcocon%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (James C. O'Connor III, 2846) writes:

>I am a new owner of MindWrite 2.1 and am very happy with it.  If you are
>interested in the product, they are available direct from the company for
>free, you just have to buy a $45 t-shirt.  Thought I'd share the joy, since
>I am a very happy customer - but otherwise unassociated with access or who-
>every owns them now.  So far as I know, this promotion is going to last
>through the end of September.
>Jim

Could you tell the rest of us what you like about it, its features,
etc., and how it compares to other products, like Acta or Acta
Advantage?

     Bill Petro  {decwrl,hplabs,ucbvax}!sun!Eng!rock
"UNIX for the sake of the kingdom of heaven"  Matthew 19:12

jcocon%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (James C. O'Connor III, 2846) (09/24/89)

From article <125182@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, by rock%warp@Sun.COM (Bill Petro):
> Could you tell the rest of us what you like about it, its features,
> etc., and how it compares to other products, like Acta or Acta
> Advantage?
>      Bill Petro  {decwrl,hplabs,ucbvax}!sun!Eng!rock
> "UNIX for the sake of the kingdom of heaven"  Matthew 19:12

Features:
	The outliner is seamlessly integrated into the product
	The spelling checker is really nice and does some other very
		rudimentary grammar checks (caps after period, homonyms,
		2 spaces after periods, auto document dictionary, ...)
	You can import just about any file type if you get "Express" version.
		The regular version handles MacWrite, ThinkTank, Text, Word,
		PageMaker.
	Dialog boxes have command key equivalents for most buttons
	Auto-save
	Multiple windows on a single document (outline of it, text of it,
		other stuff I haven't figured out yet)
	You can change the startup defaults
	Spell check only changed paragraphs
	Helps track revisions so your proof-reader only need look at what
		is new
	Good search/replace functions
	Table of Contents generation
	On-line help
	Good manual
	Nice tech support people
	Good price
	loads of other features I haven't tried out yet.
Hope that helps.
Jim

FlashsMom@cup.portal.com (NancyAnn none Sheridan) (09/26/89)

>You can import just about any file type if you get "Express" version.
Nope, the Express version pretty much just adds PC formats.  It won't
even read RTF, which is supposed to be a standard.  It will read Microsoft Wo
badly.  I needed to convert my thesis in WriteNow, and had to do so via RTF
and Word; Word did OK, MindWrite stank; lots of little format errors.

The whole program's like that, it's basically a beta version of potentially
a neat program.  I'm going back to Acta, which is a _very_ polished version
of a very weak outliner.

jcocon%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (James C. O'Connor III, 2846) (09/27/89)

MindWrite can be reached for orders at (800)367-4334.
Until the end of September, MindWrite is 39.95 from them, plus
shipping and handling. (you get a t-shirt, too)

I like the program.  Some others like the program.  Some others do not.
You decide.