[comp.sys.mac] Computer Ware

avjewe@cvl.umd.edu (Andrew V Jewell) (09/25/87)

ARRGH!!

Many postings of late refer to computerware. How it has this, and
is good for that and such. They all seem to assume that we all know
this place. They dont advertise anywhere I can find, ,so would somebody
post the way to get ahold of these folks?

While I'm here, let me voice my feelings about online help in Mac programs.
In general there is not enough of it, there is no easy way to get at it,
and there are no standards to follow.

I had some ideas, but then I bought Microsoft EXCEL which does what I feel
to be the ideal solution.

Hit command-QuestionMark and the cursor becomes a question mark. Now
go to what ever you want help with. Pull down a menu, click on a window,
whatever.

This provides an excellent opportunity to document odd key combinations,
like option-ClickClosebox and shift-command-option-ChooseOpenFromFileMenu

we now need only two things
1) flesh out the details.
2) include it in the Inside Macintosh user interface chapter. As with most
   of the Mac's features, much of the benifit comes from being able to
   count on it between programs rather than from the idea itself.

                                    Andrew D Jewell

P.S.  Somebode poseted recently that there is no market for games
      on the Mac II. I have a Mac II and I WANT GAMES!!!!!!
      (standard nasty "you should be compatible anyway" statement)

tow@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Robert Francis Tow) (09/26/87)

In article <2500@cvl.umd.edu> avjewe@cvl.umd.edu (Andrew V Jewell) writes:

>ARRGH!!
>
>Many postings of late refer to computerware. How it has this, and
>is good for that and such. They all seem to assume that we all know
>this place. They dont advertise anywhere I can find, ,so would somebody
>post the way to get ahold of these folks?

ComputerWare is a store in Palo Alto, California.  They sell only
Mac related hardware, software, and assorted goodies.  Their address:

	ComputerWare
	490 California Ave.
	Palo Alto CA 94306

The telephone number: 415-323-7559.

The prices are low, the service is excellent, they ship anywhere. Some
items are only available through corporate sales or in the store
(such as Adobe fonts). They are not an Apple dealer.

They have seminars put on by developers (hardware and software).  Various
significant people in the Apple universe drift through regularly.  I saw
my first Mac II there one packed night when Guy Kawasaki brought his
personal system in before your could see one at an Apple dealer...
It's trendy to leave your business card on a special bulletin board
they provide for the purpose...

Rob Tow
ParcPlace Systems
Graphics Wizard ("I can call spirits from the vasty deep")
2400 Geng Road
Palo Alto CA. 94303

Internet:    rob@ParcPlace.com
USENET:      ...!{ucbvax, allegra, seismo, pyramid, decvax}!sun!pplace!tow

jensen@ariel.unm.edu (K. Jensen CS.DEPT) (09/27/87)

In article <539@parcvax.Xerox.COM> tow@parcvax.xerox.com.UUCP (Robert Francis Tow) writes:

>ComputerWare is a store in Palo Alto, California.  They sell only
>Mac related hardware, software, and assorted goodies.  Their address:
>
>	ComputerWare
>	490 California Ave.
>	Palo Alto CA 94306
>
>The telephone number: 415-323-7559.

For people who don't live in the bay area, ComputerWare also sells mail order.
Phones:  800-235-1155 (U.S.) and 800-323-1133 (CA)
They don't ship things quite as quickly as Mac Connection, but they have a
much bigger selection of languages and other developers' stuff.

Kris Jensen
jensen@unmvax.unm.edu

socha@drivax.UUCP (Henri J. Socha (x6251)) (09/29/87)

In article <539@parcvax.Xerox.COM> tow@parcvax.xerox.com.UUCP (Robert Francis Tow) writes:
>In article <2500@cvl.umd.edu> avjewe@cvl.umd.edu (Andrew V Jewell) writes:
>>Many postings of late refer to computerware.
>> ,so would somebody
>>post the way to get ahold of these folks?

>ComputerWare is a store in Palo Alto, California.

>	ComputerWare
>	490 California Ave.
>	Palo Alto CA 94306

>The telephone number: 415-323-7559.

>The prices are low, the service is excellent, they ship anywhere.
> They are not an Apple dealer.

>Rob Tow

 How inconsiderate!  These people do not live in Silicon Valley
 (Well, I don't either but that's another issue  :-)

Let's give them some LONG DISTANCE  800  NUMBERS!

Information:	(415) 323-7557
To order:	(800) 323-1133 CA
		(800) 235-1155 US  (Is it Canada too? Ay)
Hours:		M-F  9-5 (probably Pacific time)
		Store (not office) open 7 days a week.
Telex:		910 240 8377  (Computerware)
FAX:		415 323 2231

They accept credit cards (+3% if not Visa or MC), COD, money order,
(I.E. ANY WAY, they want your money!)
Minimum order $30.00
Shipping UPS Ground, "Blue label", "Red label"

International sales:	(415) 323-7696

By the way,
	Who the h*** am I?
		Just a satisfied customer!

	How do I know this?
		Their FREE Price List which I have in front of me now and
		it's mailed about every other month (or sooner?).

Happy MACing.
--
UUCP:...!amdahl!drivax!socha                                      WAT Iron'75
"Everything should be made as simple as possible but not simpler."  A. Einstein

hgw@julia.math.ucla.edu (09/26/89)

I need some information on the computer insurer Computer Ware.  Are they
any good?  Do they compensate by giving you money or by exact replacement
of your system?  Any comments would be appretiated.  Thanks.

Harold Wong         (213) 825-9040
UCLA-Mathnet; 3915F MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA 90024-1555
ARPA: hgw@math.ucla.edu          BITNET: hgw%math.ucla.edu@INTERBIT

>I need some information on the computer insurer Computer Ware.  Are they
>any good?  Do they compensate by giving you money or by exact replacement
>of your system?  Any comments would be appretiated.  Thanks.

Um, ComputerWare is a software/hardware retailer and mail order house based
in Palo Alto. I think you mean ComputerSafe.

--

Chuq Von Rospach <+> Editor,OtherRealms <+> Member SFWA/ASFA
chuq@apple.com <+> CI$: 73317,635 <+> [This is myself speaking. I am not Appl

sagen@nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Milt Sagen) (09/28/89)

In article <35054@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>>I need some information on the computer insurer Computer Ware.  Are they
>
>Um, ComputerWare is a software/hardware retailer and mail order house based
>in Palo Alto. I think you mean ComputerSafe.

No, I think he means Safeware.

Safeware
1-800-848-3469
or (614) 262-0559

Milt Sagen                    Internet: sagen@nucthy.physics.orst.edu
Department of Physics
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR  97331          Tele: (503) 754-4631