[comp.sys.mac] TeX for Mac

ins_apw@jhunix (Philip Wong) (09/25/89)

I do not know much about teX, except when someone sends me a teX file, I type
tex <filename> and I get a .dvi file out of it.  The .dvi file is then printed
on a laserwriter and the fonts and quality is great.  What I am wondering (and
if there isn't one availiable, asking for) is whether or not there is some
mac program that will convert a text (binary) file that has the tex macros and
commands into a .dvi file.  And more importantly, a program that will print out
.dvi files (or the original text (in teX format) file on my imagewriter II.
Any ideas or help?  I downloaded a program off GEnie called teX previewer.  I
hoped that it would do the above, but it doesn't seem to do much.  I tried to
read a text (teX format) file, but no go.  I tried to read a .dvi file, but that
did not work either.  If someone wants, I can try mailing or uploading the
file so it may be played with.  Thanx

Philip Wong
ins_apw@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU

knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp) (09/25/89)

In article <2638@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_apw@jhunix (Philip Wong) writes:

[Is there a TeX for the Mac? Does it work with an ImageWriter? ..]

>Philip Wong
>ins_apw@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU

There are three implementations that I am aware of:
 - TeXtures by Blue Sky Research (about $300.-)
 - MacTeX by FTL Systems (about $500.-)
 - OzTeX by Andrew Trevorrow (free)
For a review of the first two see the April 88 issue of MacUser. The
public domain version works O.K., but it prints only on PostScript
compatible printers (Apple LaserWriters, and the like).

In order to use any of them, some knowledge of TeX is indispensable. I
recommend "The TeXBook" by Knuth, or the ""LaTeX Manual" by Lamport,
both Addison Wesley.

Edgar

(knapp@cs.utexas.edu)

ggiergiel@vmsa.oac.uci.edu (09/28/89)

In article <2638@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, ins_apw@jhunix (Philip Wong) writes...

>if there isn't one availiable, asking for) is whether or not there is some
>mac program that will convert a text (binary) file that has the tex macros and
>commands into a .dvi file.  And more importantly, a program that will print out
>..dvi files (or the original text (in teX format) file on my imagewriter II.
>Any ideas or help?  I downloaded a program off GEnie called teX previewer.  I

Textures will print DVI files on any ImageWriter.