[comp.sys.mac] II in a mac

paul@aucs.UUCP (04/03/87)

I read an article over a year ago about a program which emulates the
Apple II computer on a Macintosh.  I believe the program was called
II-in-a-Mac or something like that.  Has anyone had any experience
with this software package.  How compatible is the emulation?  How
difficult is it to get Apple II software on Macintosh disks, or would
it be necessary to download overthing using a file transfer program
between a Mac and a Apple II.

Please send replies directly to me and I'll summarize for the net
if I get enough responses.  Thanks.

UUCP:      {seismo|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!aucs!Paul
BITNET:    {Paul|phs}@Acadia
Internet:  {Paul|phs}%Acadia.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
PHONEnet:  (902) 542-2201x587

rbl@nitrex.UUCP (04/05/87)

In article <326@aucs.UUCP> paul@aucs.UUCP (Paul Steele) writes:
>I read an article over a year ago about a program which emulates the
>Apple II computer on a Macintosh.  I believe the program was called
>II-in-a-Mac or something like that.  Has anyone had any experience
>with this software package.  How compatible is the emulation?  How
>difficult is it to get Apple II software on Macintosh disks, or would
>it be necessary to download overthing using a file transfer program
>between a Mac and a Apple II.
>
>Please send replies directly to me and I'll summarize for the net
>if I get enough responses.  Thanks.
>

>UUCP:      {seismo|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!aucs!Paul
>BITNET:    {Paul|phs}@Acadia
>Internet:  {Paul|phs}%Acadia.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
>PHONEnet:  (902) 542-2201x587

Sorry to post, but mail is broken!  Mac+II is one such package.  It emulates
a 128K Apple II e, but requires that you (one time) hook your Mac to
the IIe and run a program on each that dumps the IIe's ROM contents
to the Mac.  Being busy here, I've not done that in the 8 months I've had
the program!

Rob Lake
Disclaimer:  This is neither an endorsement nor criticism of any product.
This is not in any way the opinion of my employer.

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (09/27/89)

Soft PC achieves good performance for a software emulation of an OS/machine...
ProComm under SoftPC beats Red Ryder for file transfers (not that that is a
good example, RR is pokey anyway)...

Question:  Why do both II in a Mac and Mac ][+ have such HORRIBLE performance?

An Apple II is a 1 mHz machine-- is it really that much more difficult to
emulate than a PC?

just wondering...

b.bum
wb1j+@andrew.cmue.du

king@uw-entropy.ms.washington.edu (Jim King) (09/28/89)

In article <cZ8CEBm00VE1MH4dpG@andrew.cmu.edu> wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) writes:

>Soft PC achieves good performance for a software emulation of an OS/machine...
>ProComm under SoftPC beats Red Ryder for file transfers (not that that is a
>good example, RR is pokey anyway)...
>
>Question:  Why do both II in a Mac and Mac ][+ have such HORRIBLE performance?
>
>An Apple II is a 1 mHz machine-- is it really that much more difficult to
>emulate than a PC?
>
>just wondering...
>
>b.bum
>wb1j+@andrew.cmue.du

Does II-in-a-Mac run anything beyond Basic programs?  I bought the
program to edit Logo programs (I thought I would use this in
conjunction with Soft-PC, which *does* work) on the Mac, but I could
not get any of the Apple Logos to work with II-in-a-Mac.  So I
am curious to know whether anyone has found *any* programs that do
work with this emulation. (I would be delighted to learn that there
is a way to use this program for something.)

Second, does Mac ][+ work with Logo? (I gather from the previous
posting that this is doubtful.)

I am disappointed that Apple has not tried as hard to encourage
Apple II emulation (or an Apple II board) for the Mac as it did
for PC boards and emulation, since some of us who work with
schools need to be able to run Apple II software.

Now that Apple seems to be pushing Macs into the schools,
it would seem to be in their interest to enable Macs to run
Apple II software.  Yes, I know that Mac software tends to
be better but here is the scenario:  a school has a bunch of
Apple IIs; maybe they can afford to buy a couple of Macs but
they certainly can't replace the Apple IIs all at once.  If
the Macs could run Apple II software, then they could be used
along with the other machines to increase the number of stations
in the lab when students are working as a group, but the added
power of the Mac would be available for special projects.  In
time, perhaps the Macs would come to dominate; but at the outset
the school wants to buy computers that work with its current setup.

Apple, how about an Apple II on a Mac board?

(Or maybe someone could solve my problem by donating some Macs
to a deserving elementary school? :-)  )

Jim King

king@math.washington.edu

James King
Dept of Math GN-50
Univ of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195
(206) 543-1915

jness@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Joel Ness) (09/28/89)

   Speaking of Apple II emulators for the Mac; I'm currently playing
with a copy of II in a Mac and find it nifty, but rather slow and
limited as to what it can run. The company is apparently beginning to
work on a mac equivalent to their II in a PC emulator, which is full
screen, color, and runs more software.

   I hadn't heard of this other program, though, -- Mac II+. Can anyone
give my information as to the company which makes it and how I might get
ahold of them?

Thanks,

Joel Ness			       		INTERNET: jness@ub.d.umn.edu
Information Services		        	BITNET:  JNESS@UMNDUL