[comp.sys.mac] Answers to RAM SIMMs/IIci questions

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (09/26/89)

 The following information comes from the "IIci Technical Tour" stack,
and hopefully should answer at least some of the questions that have
been posted here recently. The usual disclaimers apply.

oo Memory Upgrade Issues oo

To satisfy the timing requirements of the 25 MHz 68030, the IIci requires
a RAM speed of 80 ns or faster.  To satisfy the requirements for burst
reads, the IIci requires RAM that supports fast page mode.  Use of RAM
that does not satisfy both requirements will cause the IIci to crash.

The part numbers for Apple labeled SIMM upgrades and service parts that
meet these requirements are listed below:

Finished Goods RAM Upgrade Packages:
Upgrade Size                            Part Number
1MB, 80 ns, Fast Page Mode              M0291LL/A
4MB, 80 ns, Fast Page Mode              M0292LL/A
4MB (Parity), 80 ns, Fast Page Mode     M0294LL/A

Service Goods RAM SIMM Parts:
RAM Density                             Part Number
256KB, 80 ns, Fast Page Mode            661-0519
1MB, 80 ns, Fast Page Mode              661-0520
1MB (Parity), 80 ns, Fast Page Mode     661-0546

Unknowing or curious users will undoubtedly try RAM SIMMs that are rated
slower than 80 ns.  In most cases, those users will find that the slower
RAM will work for a short time.  However, the IIci unit WILL eventually
crash with a serious system error.  There are several reasons why a IIci
will not always crash immediately on power up when slower RAM is installed.
They include:

o Frequently, RAM speed is rated conservatively.  As a result, a chip may
  actually be faster than it is rated under certain circumstances.

o Many of the RAM SIMMs that are available on the market for use in the
  Macintosh SE/30, II, IIcx and IIx, including some sold by Apple, are
  rated for 100 ns, which puts them close to the 80 ns requirements.

o RAM speed is higher in a cooler chip than in a warmer chip with the same
  rating.  When the Macintosh is first turned on, the chips are cool.
  After the unit is turned on, the chips will heat up, which causes them
  to slow down.

The rules that must be followed when installing RAM SIMM modules in a IIci
are:

o All SIMM boards within a bank must be the same density.

o Within a bank that contains RAM, all four slots in that bank must be
  filled.

NOTE: Although the following two rules apply to RAM configurations in all
other modular Macintosh models, they ARE NOT required in the IIci.

o All SIMM boards must be installed in Bank A for configurations that fill
  only one bank.

o Higher density SIMM boards must be installed in Bank A for configurations
  that have different densities in each bank.

Bank A and Bank B each hold 4 SIMM strips. The following Apple memory
upgrades work in the IIci:

Bank A and B: Can hold SOJ (small) or DIP (tall) SIMM strips.

Upgrade Options for each bank:
o One M0291LL/A Apple 1MB  Memory Expansion Kit (1MB)
o One M0292LL/A Apple 4MB Memory Expansion Kit (4MB)
or
o One M0294LL/A Macintosh 4MB Parity Memory Expansion Kit (4MB)

1MB IIci (Starting Configuration):

End Cofig.    Upgrade Needed
----------------------------
1MB           *1
2MB           1-M0291LL/A
4MB           1-M0292LL/A *1, *2
5MB           1-M0291LL/A *3
8MB           1-M0292LL/A

4MB IIci (Starting Configuration):

End Cofig.    Upgrade Needed
----------------------------
4MB           *1
5MB           1-M0291LL/A *3
8MB           1-M0292LL/A

4MB Parity IIci (Starting Configuration):

End Cofig.    Upgrade Needed
----------------------------
4MB           *1
5MB           *4, *3
8MB           1-M0294LL/A

*1 - To achieve this configuration, all four SIMM modules can be installed
     in either Bank A or Bank B.  If built-in video is to be used, all four
     must be installed in Bank A.  If all four are installed in bank B,
     built-in video will be disabled.

*2 - To achieve this configuration, the new SIMM modules will be installed
     in place of the original SIMM modules.

*3 - To maximize performance, install the 1MB SIMM modules in Band B and
     the 256KB SIMM modules in Bank A.  Although the opposite configuration
     can be installed, the effects of cycle stealing for built-in video can
     be minimized by installing the smaller of the two in Bank A.

*4 - Apple is not offering 256KB Parity SIMM modules, so this configuration
     would have to be achieved with third-party 256KB SIMMs.

==========     .......     =============================================
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    UUCP: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!thecloud
==========   :::.. ..:::   INTERNET: thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com
                ////       =============================================

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (09/28/89)

Here are some IIci questions:

If you buy a 1Mb IIci, and want to use the built-in video 8-bit video,

(a) What is the CPU slowdown (%) due to cycle-stealing?
(b) Isn't the resulting system memory (1Mb - 640*480 bytes)
pathetically small?

So doesn't that mean you must buy 2Mb of memory to use the built-in
video?  I wonder if the built-in video is cost effective AT ALL on the
IIci??  Or is it just a heck of a lot faster than any Nubus video
cards on the market?

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

xdaa374@ut-emx.UUCP (William T. Douglass) (09/28/89)

In article <8400168@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>If you buy a 1Mb IIci, and want to use the built-in video 8-bit video,
>
>(a) What is the CPU slowdown (%) due to cycle-stealing?
The explanation from a local Apple rep was that the built-in video
is actually faster in 1-bit mode than using a NuBus video adaptor.
The two are about equivelant in 4-clolr mode, and the NuBus card wins
in 8-bit mode.  Of course, 32-bit color requires an external adaptor.

>(b) Isn't the resulting system memory (1Mb - 640*480 bytes)
>pathetically small?
>So doesn't that mean you must buy 2Mb of memory to use the built-in
>video?
This one is strange.  What are you refering to?  The system memory in the
IIci is not limited to 1 meg - the system I saw was 4MB & going strong.
It can be expanded to greater RAM amounts, of course.

As an aside, the ROM is 32-bit clean (says Apple.)

--
Bill Douglass, TCADA

"I dreamed I was to take a test,
 in a Dairy Queen, on another planet."      L. Anderson

rcfische@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Raymond C. Fischer) (09/28/89)

In article <8400168@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Here are some IIci questions:
>
>If you buy a 1Mb IIci, and want to use the built-in video 8-bit video,
>
>(a) What is the CPU slowdown (%) due to cycle-stealing?

About 5-15% in 8bit mode.  Depends on the usual dozen or so
variables.

>(b) Isn't the resulting system memory (1Mb - 640*480 bytes)
>pathetically small?

Yup.  The default screen depth on 1 1MB machine is 1 bit.  Only when
you have at least 2MB does it default to more.  Of course, the defaults
can be changed.

>So doesn't that mean you must buy 2Mb of memory to use the built-in
>video?  I wonder if the built-in video is cost effective AT ALL on the
>IIci??  Or is it just a heck of a lot faster than any Nubus video
>cards on the market?

I couldn't get by with just 1MB on my SE/30!  And it doesn't use ANY
of the RAM for video.  Fortunately, RAM is getting cheap.  4MB of RAM
is probably about the same price as an 8bit video card, and you still
have all that extra RAM to play in.

Faster?  Yes and no.  Yes in 1bit to 4bit modes.  No in 8bit.

This info is condensed from the article in the Oct. Byte.  Interesting
article too, the writer nearly gushes over the new machines (the portable
and the IIci).  Rather in the tone of MacUser or MacWorld.

Ray Fischer
rcfische@polyslo.calpoly.edu

hallett@positron.uucp (Jeff Hallett x5163 ) (09/28/89)

In article <8400168@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Here are some IIci questions:
>
>If you buy a 1Mb IIci, and want to use the built-in video 8-bit video,
>
>(a) What is the CPU slowdown (%) due to cycle-stealing?

There really isn't much CPU slowdown according to Apple.  It's the
memory problems that kill you (see below).  Apple people are claiming
that the IIci using builtin video is still much faster than a IIcx
using a video card.

>(b) Isn't the resulting system memory (1Mb - 640*480 bytes)
>pathetically small?

Not too bad, ~690K.  However, you won't be able to run much (although it will
run FAST).  Apple recommends at least 4Mb RAM when using the builtin
video. Besides, you'll need 2Mb anyway to make good use of System 7.0.

>So doesn't that mean you must buy 2Mb of memory to use the built-in
>video?  I wonder if the built-in video is cost effective AT ALL on the
>IIci??  Or is it just a heck of a lot faster than any Nubus video
>cards on the market?

Well, for some off-the-cuff figures:
IIci with 8 bit color = $IICX_COST + 1500 + 400 + $MONITOR_COST
IIcx with 8 bit color = $IICX_COST + 1000       + $MONITOR_COST

(400 = 4Mb RAM, 1500 = base difference in retail cost, 1000 = cost of
RasterOps video board)

There isn't much of a difference and you still have 3 slots free and
somewhere around 40% speedup.  If you get some kind of discounts, the
difference drops slightly.  Even more, considering the cost of RAM
these days, most people will be getting additional RAM in their
machines anyway, lowering the difference further.

My questions pertain to functionality more than cost.  I was wondering
how locked in you are to using Apple's monitors with the builtin
video.  Theoretically, the NEC ColorSync has the same density and
refresh rate as the Apple 13" RGB HiRes monitor (according to
RasterOps).  Therefore, will the NEC monitor work on the builting
video?  Any Apple-types out there know?

--
	     Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
      GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414, Milwaukee, WI  53201

t-jlee@microsoft.UUCP (Johnny Lee) (09/29/89)

In article <18891@ut-emx.UUCP> xdaa374@emx.UUCP (Bill Douglass) writes:
>In article <8400168@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
[Stuff Deleted]

>>(b) Isn't the resulting system memory (1Mb - 640*480 bytes)
>>pathetically small?
>>So doesn't that mean you must buy 2Mb of memory to use the built-in
>>video?
>This one is strange.  What are you refering to?  The system memory in the
>IIci is not limited to 1 meg - the system I saw was 4MB & going strong.
>It can be expanded to greater RAM amounts, of course.

I think he is referring to the fact that the memory for the screen
is located in main memory (i.e. along with the system and app heaps).
So with an 8-bit deep screen, plus a normal System (~400K) one
is not going to be able to run many mainstream business-type apps
or graphics programs( especially under Multifinder).

>As an aside, the ROM is 32-bit clean (says Apple.)

How did the guys at Apple do this? From what I remember, in the
August MacTutor, there was an article mentioning the fact that
the main problem in getting a 32-bit clean ROM were CDEFs
which use the highest bit passed to the CDEF to signal
something.

How about wait states in the IIci? Are there any? (obviously
there are if a cache card is going to help performance,right?)

Johnny Lee
t-jlee@microsoft.UUCP
...!uw-beaver!microsoft!t-jlee