[comp.sys.mac] MacTCP Config?

jh34607@suntc.UUCP (john howell) (09/22/89)

Help!

I just received MacTCP v1.0 from APDA and con't seem to get it installed
on my machine correctly.

I have a Mac ][ with an Apple Ethertalk card in it and ethertalk v1.1.
I am directly connected to am ethernet using Class C addresses and I am
trying to connect to a Sun w/ address 192.0.0.1.  My assigned address is
192.0.0.81.  When I run NCSA Telnet (non MacTCP), it works great! But if
I try to run NCSA Telnet MacTCP it loads and immediately quits.  I have
also tried the TCP XCMD Example and it comes up with a
"domain name resolver failed" message and if I choose ActiveOpen I get a
"The Result: driver open failed" message.  These seem to happen no
matter what I put in for a Name or dot address.

In the MacTCP control panel I have selected the Ethernet icon, Manually
obtain address, class C address and node 81.

Anyone have an idea of what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!

John Howell			uucp:		uunet!suntc!jrh
Deere & Company			MCImail:	360-4047
Technical Center		CompuServe:	[76666,2505]
3300 River Drive		FAX:		(309)765-3807
Moline, IL  61265		Voice:		(309)765-3784

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (09/23/89)

In article <118@suntc.UUCP> jh34607@suntc.UUCP (john howell) writes:
>Help!
>
>I just received MacTCP v1.0 from APDA and con't seem to get it installed
>on my machine correctly.
>
>I have a Mac ][ with an Apple Ethertalk card in it and ethertalk v1.1.
>I am directly connected to am ethernet using Class C addresses and I am
>trying to connect to a Sun w/ address 192.0.0.1.  My assigned address is
>192.0.0.81.  When I run NCSA Telnet (non MacTCP), it works great! But if
>I try to run NCSA Telnet MacTCP it loads and immediately quits.  I have
>also tried the TCP XCMD Example and it comes up with a
>"domain name resolver failed" message and if I choose ActiveOpen I get a
>"The Result: driver open failed" message.  These seem to happen no
>matter what I put in for a Name or dot address.
>
>In the MacTCP control panel I have selected the Ethernet icon, Manually
>obtain address, class C address and node 81.

At the lower right hand corner is an area to type in domain name(s) and
IP addresses of the DNR's.  You need to have at least one entry for a
name server, so that MacTCP can query it for addresses of remote hosts.

If you don't have a name server, you can have a host file in your System
Folder that contains the IP addresses of the hosts you want to get to.  I've
forgotten the name of the file and its exact format, but it's in the
documentation.

Edward Moy				Principal Programmer - Macintosh & Unix
Workstation Support Services		Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy

jh34607@suntc.UUCP (john howell) (09/29/89)

Thanks for the replies to my request on helping to configure MacTCP.
Unfortunately, no one had a solution, but I think I have narrowed in on
the problem.

In article <118@suntc.UUCP>, jh34607@suntc.UUCP (john howell) writes:
> I have a Mac ][ with an Apple Ethertalk card in it and ethertalk v1.1.
> I am directly connected to am ethernet using Class C addresses and I am
> trying to connect to a Sun w/ address 192.0.0.1.  My assigned address is
> 192.0.0.81.

Apparently MacTCP doesn't like the zero's in my net address.  If I
choose a address like 192.1.1.81 or 192.43.2.81, then MacTCP seems to
think it is ok.  If I use my real address of 192.0.0.81, MacTCP doesn't
seem to load and NCSA Telnet will quit trying to connect with MacTCP.

So, the dilema.  I can get MacTCP configured, but I can't talk to anyone
else, since everyone on my network is on 192.0.0.node and we don't have
any routers.

Question:  Is 192.0.0.81 a valid address?  I know you are not supposed to
use a node 0, but that isn't the case here.

John