[comp.sys.mac] McCray Anyone?

hedstrom@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP (Brad Hedstrom) (09/27/89)

In the article ``New Life for the NuBus'' in July 89's Macworld, which deals
with NuBus cards for the Mac II, they list a card based on the AMD 29000
processor called McCray. I've been trying to get in touch with the
manufacturer, YARC Systems, for a couple of days. I have yet to get though (no
answer). Does anyone know anything about this product or the company? Perhaps
they've gone the way of so many other computer accessory companies...

Brad Hedstrom, University of Victoria, ECE Dept.
Internet:  hedstrom@sirius.uvic.ca
UUCP:   ...!{uw-beaver,ubc-vision}!uvicctr!hedstrom

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (09/29/89)

in article <797@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP>, hedstrom@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP (Brad Hedstrom) says:

> In the article ``New Life for the NuBus'' in July 89's Macworld, which deals
> with NuBus cards for the Mac II, they list a card based on the AMD 29000
> processor called McCray. I've been trying to get in touch with the
> manufacturer, YARC Systems, for a couple of days. I have yet to get though (no
> answer). Does anyone know anything about this product or the company? Perhaps
> they've gone the way of so many other computer accessory companies...

This board, now called McSuper, was mentioned in MIPS magazine last month, so
I suspect it's still quite available.  They only briefly mentioned it; I think
a full write up on it is due out next month.  It was apparently the fastest
RISC systems they'd seen so far (though to be fair, most others have to run
whole operating systems alongside the MIPS benchmark code).  The 29K is quite
an interesting design....

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough

ching@pepsi.amd.com (Mike Ching) (09/29/89)

In article <797@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP> hedstrom@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP (Brad Hedstrom) writes:
>In the article ``New Life for the NuBus'' in July 89's Macworld, which deals
>with NuBus cards for the Mac II, they list a card based on the AMD 29000
>processor called McCray. I've been trying to get in touch with the
>manufacturer, YARC Systems, for a couple of days. I have yet to get though (no
>answer). Does anyone know anything about this product or the company? Perhaps
>they've gone the way of so many other computer accessory companies...

I think the card has been renamed to NU-Super since they recently introduced
a PC version called AT-Super. The card has 2Mbytes of instruction RAM and
256Kbytes of data RAM expandable to 512K. A 29027 FPU is also optional. Their
address is

YARC Systems Corp
5655 Lindero Canyon #721
Westlake Village, CA 91362