[comp.sys.mac] Exiting to finder on sysbomb

xerox@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (James Osborne) (09/26/89)

I know that when I had my SE, I could type G 409b24 in the monitor if
I got a sysbomb and that would SOMETIMES exit me to the Finder so that I
could restart properly.  Is there a similar address that will work on
my SE/30?

Thanks in advance

James.Osborne@mac.dartmouth.edu

danno@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Daniel McKinnon III) (09/26/89)

In article <15778@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> xerox@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (James Osborne) writes:
>I know that when I had my SE, I could type G 409b24 in the monitor if
>I got a sysbomb and that would SOMETIMES exit me to the Finder so that I
>could restart properly.  Is there a similar address that will work on
>my SE/30?
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>James.Osborne@mac.dartmouth.edu

I happen to be the proud owner of a new SE/30 as well (Dartmouth is just
lousy with 'em :-). My question about the minidebugger relates to the old
"slide show" of the SE development team... is it still around in the
ROM? Anyone know the code?

For that matter, what's the code for the old SE? I saw it in Macworld a long
ago, at a time when I didn't have access to an SE. Since then, I *have*
checked all my back issues, but haven't been able to locate it.

OK, I'll admit it, I'm a semi-proud owner. I got it today, and the screen is
bowed in the top right corner, and pinched in the lower left corner.
Exchange time! Life is rough in 4 Meg land. As long as I'm griping, what
do I have to do to convince CrystalQuest 2.2 that I DON'T have
ColorQuickDraw? It's driving me crazy!

Ciao,
Danno

|\_______/| Someone send me a new Tragedy mask graphic!|  Daniel McKinnon
|         |                                            |
| O     O | Comedy must be played with a straight face;| danno@dartmouth.edu
|    \    | Only tragedy deserves laughter.            |(surprise me)!dartmouth
|    -    |                          --Clive Barker    |       !danno
|   ___   |
 \ /   \ / It's always darkest before it turns pitch black.
  -------                                                         --Heretix

russotto@wam.UMD.EDU (09/27/89)

In article <15778@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> xerox@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (James Osborne) writes:
>I know that when I had my SE, I could type G 409b24 in the monitor if
>I got a sysbomb and that would SOMETIMES exit me to the Finder so that I
>could restart properly.  Is there a similar address that will work on
>my SE/30?
>

>Thanks in advance
>
>James.Osborne@mac.dartmouth.edu
Don't use addresses-- they are a pain and don't work with different ROMS
Instead,
SM 0 A9F4
G 0
--
Matthew T. Russotto	russotto@wam.umd.edu	russotto@eng.umd.edu

jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nick Jackiw) (09/28/89)

In article <15778@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> xerox@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (James Osborne) writes:
> I know that when I had my SE, I could type G 409b24 in the monitor if
> I got a sysbomb and that would SOMETIMES exit me to the Finder so that I
> could restart properly.  Is there a similar address that will work on
> my SE/30?
> James.Osborne@mac.dartmouth.edu

This presumably executed the _ExitToShell subroutine in every Mac rom, which
should dispose of all of the memory allocated to your application (or the
one which is currently "switched in" if you're running multiFinder), and
reload the Finder.

Internally, Macs provide a way to access most of their built-in subroutines
(the famous Toolbox + OS Routines) that remains constant despite revisions
and updates to the ROMs (which entail moving the location, e. g. 409b24, of
subroutines).  On *any* Mac, entering 'SM 0 A9F4' will set memory location
$00 to $A9F4, the magic trap code to invoke the _ExitToShell subroutine.
Then you just type "G 0" to begin executing at that memory location and
you should, provided the crash was not *too* fatal, wind up back in the
Finder.

Sorry to be so wordy.  Don't know what level of detail you wanted.

--
     _  _|\____    Nick Jackiw | Visual Geometry Project | Math Department
   |       O>   |  215-328-8225| jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu| Swarthmore PA 19081

pete@i-core.UUCP (Pete Ashdown) (09/29/89)

A. What are the monitor commands for doing a shutdown?
B. What is the monitor command to get that cute message about pirated ROMs?
--
(^\__/^)    pete@i-core.uucp  uunet!iconsys!caeco!i-core
/ . .  \  <=== BEWARE!  The Snugglesoft Bear!