[comp.sys.mac] Apple's flakey 80M drives, a call to arms.

rpaul@dasys1.UUCP (Rod Paul) (09/21/89)

I would be extremely interested to find out how many other people have had
an Apple 80M drive fail on a IIcx. One month after my warranty ran out I
also lost a drive.

It cost me $560 to trade in, and the replacement acted flakey for a while,
but has settled down.

So how about it? If you've had an Apple 80M drive get trashed, post a
notice, lets get an idea of how bad a situation this is.

If there are enough postings it can give us ammo against Apple releasing
flakey products that croak just after 90 days.

--
Rodian Paul
Big Electric Cat Public UNIX

martya@cpl-mfh.UUCP (Marty Adelman) (09/28/89)

***
*** In article <10744@dasys1.UUCP>,
*** rpaul@dasys1.UUCP (Rod Paul) writes:
***

>I would be extremely interested to find out how many other people have had
>an Apple 80M drive fail on a IIcx. One month after my warranty ran out I
>also lost a drive.

Well, looks like I've joined the club.  My 80 meg quantum in my SE/30 died
yesterday.  No warning, not even a shudder.  My wife shut the machine off
to go to lunch and when she came back it would not start.  The drive would
power up but you would get a ?  When I came home from work I played with
it for a while, opened up the case and took the drive out.  Apple has the
drive mounted upside down (board side up, Seagates are usually the opposite)
I turned the drive over and was able to coax it to start.  When I put the
drive back in the case it refused to work, so I left it out and backed up
all my material (a very fortuitous opportunity).  We worked for a little while
and then hurt a little grinding sound, sounded like a head crash, haven't
been able to get the drive to work since.  I called my local apple dealerr and
spoke to the tech ( a friend of mine), all he could do was bitch about the
quality of Apple stuff lately (seems this is the 3rd or 4th drive this month)
No wonder Apple only gives 90 days on the warranty, they know what there
quality is worth, maybe I should have known.  By the way the drive was less
hthan 6 months old.   this is the last time I get an Apple hard drive, a number
of years ago I owned a profile (what a mess that was.)

By the way dealer exchange cost is $395 for th 80 meg, Apples probably making
a good buck on that also.

  Marty Adelman
  sunybcs!cpl-mfh!martya
  cpl-mfh!martya@cs.buffalo.edu

rc10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Clemens) (09/29/89)

The current issue of MacWeek claims the 40 and 80 Mb HD "problem"
will be corrected by a chip replacment that gives more torque on
startup and an occasional exercise or two to relieve the stickon
"problem" that is caused by high humidity.  Sounds like a patch
to a real problem to me!

Rich Clemens                    Associate Professor, WV Wesleyan College
Phone:  304-473-8000 office            Bitnet: os360160@wvnvms.wvnet.edu
        304-472-3029 home                           rc10+@andrew.cmu.edu
TCP/IP: [44.058.000.003]                         Packet: KB8AOB @ KA8ZXP