[comp.sys.mac] modems for a Mac SE

smd@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Steve Drucker) (08/30/89)

I'm posting this for a friend of mine who needs to get a 2400 Baud
Modem. She'd like to get one as cheap as possible.  After perusing the
standard magazines, we came up with a few names of some cheap modems.
The question is, does anyone have any experience with any of these
modems as to their reliability, Hayes compatability, etc.  The modems
are as follows:
	Practical Peripherals 2400 Baud          $179
	Intel 2400 B				 $179
	Supra Modem 2400			 $145
	SmartOne 2400 (made by Best Data)	 $145

Any comments on these, or knowledge of other 2400 Baud modems in the
same price range would be appreciated.
			Thanx,
		Steve Drucker

chou@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Hsiang Chou) (08/30/89)

In article <SMD.89Aug29140138@media-lab.media.mit.edu> smd@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Steve Drucker) writes:
>I'm posting this for a friend of mine who needs to get a 2400 Baud
>Modem. She'd like to get one as cheap as possible.  After perusing the
>standard magazines, we came up with a few names of some cheap modems.
>The question is, does anyone have any experience with any of these
>modems as to their reliability, Hayes compatability, etc.  The modems
>are as follows:
>	Practical Peripherals 2400 Baud          $179
>	Intel 2400 B				 $179
>	Supra Modem 2400			 $145
>	SmartOne 2400 (made by Best Data)	 $145
>
>Any comments on these, or knowledge of other 2400 Baud modems in the
>same price range would be appreciated.

	How about the $99 Maxxon 2400 Baud External Modem (made in Korea)
sold by Copper Electronics. I found this in BYTE magzine several months
ago and suggested it to my friend. He has no problem in using it everyday
so far (yes, it's Hayes compatible, one year warranty) except getting
garbage character three or four times (this may be due to bad connection
or modem's low noise immunity, I'm not sure). But for such low price,
I think it's still a good deal.

	You may be interested in cheap modem cable also. We bought it
from Jameco for $4.95 each (made in Taiwan), see BYTE's ads too.
It looks nice, well-constructed, about 6 ft. long, and has been
working flawlessly. But Jameco asks for $20 minimum order, so you may
want to ask more people to make a group purchase as I did.

--
---
Chih-Hsiang Chou	chou@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Ronald Bannon) (08/30/89)

In article <SMD.89Aug29140138@media-lab.media.mit.edu> smd@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Steve Drucker) writes:
>The question is, does anyone have any experience with any of these
>modems as to their reliability, Hayes compatability, etc.  The modems
>are as follows:
>	Practical Peripherals 2400 Baud          $179
>	Intel 2400 B				 $179
>	Supra Modem 2400			 $145
>	SmartOne 2400 (made by Best Data)	 $145

I have used a Practical Peripheral 2400 baud modem for close to two years on
a steady bases without trouble. It's fully Hayes compatible and I would
not hesitate to purchase another.

barry@primerd.prime.com (08/30/89)

I just received a mailing with an offer of a Zoom 2400 baud modem for
$129.  The price includes a Mac communication package + service coupons
for Compuserve, Genie, etc.

I haven't tried the Zoom modem, I'm just reporting the offer...

Barry Wolman                      | barry@s66.prime.com
Principal Technical Consultant    | 492 Old Connecticut Path
Prime Computer                    | Framingham, MA 01701
                                  | 508/626-1700, ext. 4187
Nothing in this posting reflects an official position of Prime Computer.

lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) (08/30/89)

In article <SMD.89Aug29140138@media-lab.media.mit.edu> smd@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Steve Drucker) writes:
>I'm posting this for a friend of mine who needs to get a 2400 Baud
>Modem. She'd like to get one as cheap as possible.  After perusing the
>standard magazines, we came up with a few names of some cheap modems.
>The question is, does anyone have any experience with any of these
>modems as to their reliability, Hayes compatability, etc.  The modems
>are as follows:
>	Practical Peripherals 2400 Baud          $179
>	Intel 2400 B				 $179
>	Supra Modem 2400			 $145
>	SmartOne 2400 (made by Best Data)	 $145
>
>Any comments on these, or knowledge of other 2400 Baud modems in the
>same price range would be appreciated.
>			Thanx,
>		Steve Drucker

BMUG, in their latest newsletter, recommends the US Robotics Courier
2400 baud modem. Cheapest price at $139 (check Computer Shopper), not
including cable. Similar pricing and recommendation for the Supra
modem, although in my opinion the USR is much better. Supra goes for
$129 at one place: Computer Mart, 800-443-8236. $15 extra for a cable.

Both are Hayes-compatible to the limits of compatibility. I recommend
going elsewhere for a cable.

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac
INTERNET: lauac%qal.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
FIDONET: Alex.Lau@bmug.fidonet.org (1:161/444)

jnoh@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Jay Noh) (08/30/89)

I have been using a Practical Periphials PM2400SA with my Mac SE with no
problem at all. In fact, I like it better than the Hayes 2400 I used to have.

The only minor glitch is that the PP 2400 tends to get a little warm compared
to the Hayes. Any comments on this?

--
jnoh@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US
UUCP		: ...!ames!{killer, attctc}!jolnet!jnoh

gt0818a@prism.gatech.EDU (Paul E. Robichaux) (08/30/89)

I have a Goldstar GSM2400 that I bought for $119 from MicroCenter here in
Atlanta. The only incompatibility I've yet found is that pesky S11 register,
which controls the delay between dialing digits. It doesn't seem to exist.

Other than that, the stored-number (5 of 'em) capability is nice, and it comes
with the usual assortment of free/discount connect time offers.

Disclaimer: haven't tried its synchronous features, but it _does_ work with
GEnie and Zmodem.

-Paul

--
Paul E. Robichaux                  |"Collateral damage is the number of women
Georgia Institute of Technology    | and children you kill when attempting to do

MIKEA@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Michael Antolovich) (08/31/89)

In article <160700054@primerd>, barry@primerd.prime.com writes:

>I just received a mailing with an offer of a Zoom 2400 baud modem for
>$129.  The price includes a Mac communication package + service coupons
>for Compuserve, Genie, etc.
>
>I haven't tried the Zoom modem, I'm just reporting the offer...

  I have, and it works great.  Get the cable somewhere else, they
charge $20 !  It isn't really a MAC modem, it's a nifty black
colour with red lights on the front, but it is very small and neat.
     If the colour doesn't worry you, then by all means get it.
                                                    Michael

greg@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (greg Nowak) (08/31/89)

}
}Any comments on these, or knowledge of other 2400 Baud modems in the
}same price range would be appreciated.

You might also add the Anchor 2400E, which comes with cable and
QuickLink software.  I paid $149.  It has so far worked fine with
VersaTerm and a couple of other packages I tried.

Ben Wilkes
bgwilkes@confidence.Princeton.edu

jblack@kean.mun.ca (09/29/89)