[comp.sys.mac] Telnet 2.2 - [driver e] -?

dl1@ukc.ac.uk (D.Langford) (09/25/89)

Our internal 80meg HD on a Mac II crashed recently; although a new
System/ Finder has things working again, there are real problems
with the mainframe linking.

We're running NCSA Telnet 2.2 through an Ethernet card, and until
the crash it was something to brag about... now, it won't get
beyond the initial logo screen, with "Network Initialization Failure!"
and the intriguing "Couldn't open driver [e]".

The guy who installed things is long gone; I can't even /locate/
anything that looks as if it's called [e]...

Could some guru out there take pity, and advise me on what, other
than to buy a modem, I can do next?

- duncan

 dl1@ukc.ac.uk  duncan langford computing lab., university of kent, uk

wcn@max.u.washington.edu (W C Newell Jr) (09/30/89)

In article <2440@harrier.ukc.ac.uk>, dl1@ukc.ac.uk (D.Langford) writes:
> Our internal 80meg HD on a Mac II crashed recently; although a new
> System/ Finder has things working again, there are real problems
> with the mainframe linking.
>
> We're running NCSA Telnet 2.2 through an Ethernet card, and until
> the crash it was something to brag about... now, it won't get
> beyond the initial logo screen, with "Network Initialization Failure!"
> and the intriguing "Couldn't open driver [e]".

I had a similar problem on a Mac II in one of our offices.  Reinstalling the
system from master disks did not fix Telnet, although at that point I was able
to generate a more insightful error message by trying to select the EtherTalk
icon in the Control Panel, something like "... is Network file installed
correctly?"  I used the Installer to update the EtherTalk driver, and presto,
Telnet was working again.  Somewhere in the documentation, Apple advises using
Installer rather than just copying the driver file into the System folder.  I
don't know enough about the Mac OS to understand what xtra stuff the Installer
is doing, but it definitely made a difference in my case.

By the way, I called the consultants at Illinois about this, and no one there
could explain what the [e] meant.  Still, NCSA Telnet is an excellent product;
we can't live without it!

(bill)