[comp.sys.mac] don't know how to capture printer output as text file

wcn@max.u.washington.edu (W C Newell Jr) (09/30/89)

I need help with a very stupid problem.  I have an application that writes text
to the currently selected print device, but has no obvious way to write output
to a disk file.  I can capture this text as PostScript, but I really want a
flat file.  Does a pseudo-driver exist that I might be able to toss into my
System folder and then choose, which would trap printer output and make a byte-
stream file?  I've searched several large file servers for such a tool, without
success.  I've also asked several local Mac gurus, and those I trust all say
this is the best place to ask.  All replies gratefully acknowledged.

(bill)

ianf@nada.kth.se (Ian Feldman) (09/30/89)

In article <7647@max.u.washington.edu> wcn@max.u.washington.edu (W C Newell Jr)
 writes:

>Does a pseudo-driver exist that I might be able to toss into my
>System folder and then choose, which would trap printer output and make a byte-
>stream file?

   One way to do it would be to print the output using SuperGlue (from
   Solutions International, a Vermont company) as a selected printer device.
   Unless your appplication does something **really stupid** such an Image-
   Saved file should contain only pure QuickDraw.  You could then open this
   file w/ the SuperViewer APPL (or the SuperViewer DA) and do another
  'Save as text'.

   Another method would be to save the file straight in Scrapbook file
   format and open it using the SmartScrap DA (also from the same folks).
   This method might not work with your application, though.  Ordinary
   text pasted into SmartScrap DA can be copied in portions, not in blocks.

   Still another - capture the postscript file (it's all TEXT, anyway)
   and strip the unnecessary codes via a macro in either QUED/M, Nisus
   or even Vantage DA text-processor.

>I've also asked several local Mac gurus, and those I trust all say
>this is the best place to ask.

   Who said they were gurus?   ;-)

--
----