[comp.sys.mac] HD data recovery

cycy@isl1.ri.cmu.edu (Scum) (09/28/89)

Does anybody know of any place which does data recovery on apple hard disks? I'm
afraid that, as humiliating as this public confession is, I must admit that I
was not really backing up my harddisk, and the disk died on me (I was going to
get the backup programme just that week!). There if a lot
of information I would like to recover from it since it is impossible to get it
from another source. Any leads will be gratefully accepted.

					Thanks,
						-- Chris.

PS: I tried Workman Assoc. and they failed. I don't know how they normally are
(I've  heard they're supposed to be pretty good) but they seem to have made an
error in judgment at one point and lost the one chance they had to get the
information. Now more sophisticated techniques seem to be required.
--
					-- Chris. (cycy@isl1.ri.cmu.edu)
"People make me pro-nuclear." -- Margarette Smith

a379@mindlink.UUCP (Gordon Mulcaster) (09/29/89)

> cycy writes:
>
> I'm afraid that, as humiliating as this public confession is, I must admit
> that I was not really backing up my harddisk, and the disk died on me (I was
> going to get the backup programme just that week!).

I lost mine DURING a backup, then in my recovery attempts I lost all the
information... SUM sucks.

ttul
gm

heap@bmc.uu.se (09/30/89)

In article <6312@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, cycy@isl1.ri.cmu.edu (Scum) writes:
> [stuff deleted] There if a lot
> of information I would like to recover from it since it is impossible to get it
> from another source. Any leads will be gratefully accepted.
>
> 					Thanks,
> 						-- Chris.

You might try to get a copy of SUM (Symantec Utilities for the Macintosh),
and use that on your disc. It's at least worth a try.

koenig@tdb.uu.se

NOT the adress in the header - the mail go astray if you use it!

cycy@isl1.ri.cmu.edu (Scum) (09/30/89)

In article <2603.2523b170@bmc.uu.se>, heap@bmc.uu.se writes:
> In article <6312@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, cycy@isl1.ri.cmu.edu (Scum) writes:
> > [stuff deleted] There if a lot
> > of information I would like to recover from it since it is impossible to get it
> > from another source. Any leads will be gratefully accepted.
>
> You might try to get a copy of SUM (Symantec Utilities for the Macintosh),
> and use that on your disc. It's at least worth a try.

Thanks. I got this suggestion in the mail too (thanks to you folks who
responded; I'll send mail to you later). The problem is, my disk died of
ome kind of hard error, not a soft one. I'm not sure what condition it's in now
after this past attempted recovery process. I might need someplace with a
cleanroom where the platers can be transfered. I don't know.

					-- Chris.
--

simon@alberta.uucp (Simon Tortike) (10/01/89)

In article <549@mindlink.UUCP> a379@mindlink.UUCP (Gordon Mulcaster) writes:
>> cycy writes:
>>
>> I'm afraid that, as humiliating as this public confession is, I must admit
>> that I was not really backing up my harddisk, and the disk died on me (I was
>> going to get the backup programme just that week!).
>
>I lost mine DURING a backup, then in my recovery attempts I lost all the
>information... SUM sucks.

I guess everyone has his own story.  I found my 40 Mbyte hard-disk trashed
last night, with the Finder offering to re-initialise it after booting from
a floppy.  This morning I got the SUM Disk Clinic disk and recovered the
entire drive in a matter of minutes.  The hard disk had had the Guardian
installed.  That saved half a day, so SUM is OK by me.
W. Simon Tortike,                         | tel    : 403/492-3338
Dept of Mining, Metallurgical             | fax    : 403/492-7219
      and Petroleum Engineering,          | CDNnet : simon@cs.UAlberta.CA
University of Alberta,                    | uucp   : simon@alberta.uucp
Edmonton, AB, CANADA T6G 2G6.             |