[comp.sys.mac] Mouse Speed in PRAM?

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (09/15/89)

I think it's a design mistake to put the mouse speed in the macintosh PRAM.

Every time you have a serious crash (like MS-Word 4.0, 5 minutes ago),
you must go to the control panel and fix the mouse speed (and it
defaults to tablet!  sheesh!).  Every time a student boots from a
floppy disk in a macintosh lab, he probably needs to reset the mouse
speed.  Why is this parameter in PRAM?  This data should be stored in
the system file, the finder file, or some finder configuration file.

I can't see a good reason why it's stored in PRAM, except for
simplicity.  I hope Apple fixes this inconsistency in system 7.0.

kent@sunfs3.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (09/20/89)

In article <126900070@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>I think it's a design mistake to put the mouse speed in the macintosh PRAM.
>
>Every time you have a serious crash (like MS-Word 4.0, 5 minutes ago),
>you must go to the control panel and fix the mouse speed (and it
>defaults to tablet!  sheesh!).  Every time a student boots from a

I crash bunches, but my pram almost never dies.

>floppy disk in a macintosh lab, he probably needs to reset the mouse
>speed.  Why is this parameter in PRAM?  This data should be stored in
>the system file, the finder file, or some finder configuration file.

Maybe the idea is that the mouse is attached to the hardware, so the
settings should be attached to the hardware?  I move my hard disk from
computer to computer, and I like the fact that things like desktop
pattern stay stuck to the specific machine.  Seeing as how the mouse
(or track ball) usually stays stuck to the machine, I can understand
wanting its settings to stay there too.

--
Kent Borg				"You know me, bright ideas
kent@lloyd.uucp				 just pop into my head!"

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (09/23/89)

In article <126900070@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>I think it's a design mistake to put the mouse speed in the macintosh PRAM.
>Every time you have a serious crash (like MS-Word 4.0, 5 minutes ago),
>you must go to the control panel and fix the mouse speed (and it
>defaults to tablet!  sheesh!).  Every time a student boots from a
>floppy disk in a macintosh lab, he probably needs to reset the mouse
>speed.  Why is this parameter in PRAM?  This data should be stored in
>the system file, the finder file, or some finder configuration file.
>I can't see a good reason why it's stored in PRAM, except for
>simplicity.  I hope Apple fixes this inconsistency in system 7.0.

Over the years I think Most mac users have had their mac crash, either
thru poor software, or who knows what. but I have never had mine crash
and change a PRAM setting...there must be something else wrong in this
case.

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (10/02/89)

Re:  Putting the mouse speed in PRAM.

No, no, several people misunderstood the point.  Occasionally, I get a
crash that is so serious (on a Mac II), that I must reset the PRAM to
be able to get the hard disk to reboot.  This of course screws up the
PRAM, and resets the mouse to "tablet".  I used to run "PRAMfix", but
now I just run system 6.0, which is supposed to reduce the number of
such "serious" crashes, but they have not been eliminated entirely.

If the mouse speed were in the system file or elsewhere, this would
not be a problem.