[comp.sys.mac] HP DeskWriter Performance on a Plus

David_Anthony_Guevara@cup.portal.com (09/11/89)

Have any of you seen/experienced the HP DeskWriter performance when it is
hooked to a Mac Plus?  The store demos I have seen were all done with a
Mac II.  I'm impressed with the printer, but since I have a Mac Plus, I am
concerned that I will be waiting forever for my printouts to finish.  Please
respond to me via e-mail.  I'm sure the net doesn't need any more traffic.
I'll summarize to the net if there is enough interest.  Thanks!

	Dave

barry@primerd.prime.com (09/12/89)

A DeskWriter on a Mac SE is about 1/2 the speed (very roughly) of the
DeskWriter on a Mac SE/30.  The performance with a Mac Plus ought to be
very similar to that with the Mac SE.  Printing to a DeskWriter is
normally CP limited on a SE, so you can expect it to be CP limited with
the Plus.

Barry Wolman                      | barry@s66.prime.com
Principal Technical Consultant    | 492 Old Connecticut Path
Prime Computer                    | Framingham, MA 01701
                                  | 508/626-1700, ext. 4187
Nothing in this posting reflects an official position of Prime Computer.

stevem@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Steve Miller) (09/20/89)

>Could someone briefly summarize exactly what the protocol is between
>a MAC and a DeskWriter.
[more questions omitted]

The Mac and DeskWriter communicate at 57.6 Kbaud and use a special compression
mode to make sure that the printer isn't I/O bound.  The DeskWriter is not
a general PCL device and doesn't implement the full PCL command set.
On Mac II type machines, the printer is primarily mechanism
limited and on Mac+/SE type machines the printer is usually CPU
bound.

Steven Miller
Vancouver Division
Hewlett Packard

fjo@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (frank.j.owen) (09/21/89)

From article <780053@hpvcfs1.HP.COM>, by stevem@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Steve Miller):

> On Mac II type machines, the printer is primarily mechanism
> limited and on Mac+/SE type machines the printer is usually CPU
> bound.

 I have MacPlus and a DeskJET printer. (NOT DeskJET plus) This bit of
info makes me feel a little better about my purchase choice. (I bought the
thing long before the introduction of the DeskJet plua or Writer )
Apparently, you don't get the full benefit of the faster printer until
you put it on a II-class machine.

  What I'd really like to know is why HP doesn't release their printer
driver for use with the DeskJet? It seems to me that all they'd have
to do is change the speed to 19.2 KBaud, and they'd be in business. I
am presently using the HPDJ public domain driver, and am not particuliarly
satisfied with the results. If HP doesn't come out with a driver, I'll probably
wait for system 7.0, and hope that a sys 7.0 compatible DeskJet driver
will appear.

--
Frank Owen   312-982-2182
AT&T Bell Laboratories

neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Dave Neff) (09/22/89)

>What I'd really like to know is why HP doesn't release their printer
>driver for use with the DeskJet? It seems to me that all they'd have
>to do is change the speed to 19.2 KBaud, and they'd be in business. I
>am presently using the HPDJ public domain driver, and am not particuliarly
>satisfied with the results. If HP doesn't come out with a driver, I'll probably
>wait for system 7.0, and hope that a sys 7.0 compatible DeskJet driver
>will appear.

Although this isn't the entire answer, the DeskWriter uses a new 2 dimensional
data compression machine called "mode 3" graphics.  This mode did not
exist when the DeskJet and DeskJet+ was designed.  The Mac DeskWriter
driver makes heavy use of this graphics compression mode and without it
would in many cases be IO limitted even at 57K baud, let alone 19.2K baud.
There are many other reasons, such as support, customer satisfaction,
and so forth.

By the way, the new HP LaserJet IIP does (I'm pretty sure) have support
for "mode 3" graphics. Its fastest baud rate is 19.2K.  When we
tried out our Mac DeskWriter driver at this baud rate to a LaserJet II
(not a IIP) which had special code supporting mode 3 graphics  it was
SLOWER THAN A DESKWRITER.  And a LaserJet IIP is slower than a II.
I can't go into all the reasons for this, but the speed difference is
more than just the difference between 19.2K and 57K bauds.  Steve
Miller has the actual time differences, maybe he could post them.
There actually is a "trick" that will allow a DeskWriter to run at
19.2 baud (unsupported, undocumented, not guaranteed to remain, and
I wont tell anyway), and the DeskWriter at 19.2K baud is faster than
a LaserJet II at 19.2K baud using our DeskWriter driver.

People who assume laser printers must be faster/better/more reliable
than technologies such as inkjet are often basing their belief on this
sort of "myth" that laser printers are the ultimate in printing technologies.
Every technology (thinking of the big three -- laser, inkjet, impact) has
advantages and disadvantages compared to the other.

Dave Neff
neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM

stevem@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Steve Miller) (09/22/89)

>> On Mac II type machines, the printer is primarily mechanism
>> limited and on Mac+/SE type machines the printer is usually CPU
>> bound.
>>
> I have MacPlus and a DeskJET printer. (NOT DeskJET plus) This bit of
>info makes me feel a little better about my purchase choice. (I bought the
>thing long before the introduction of the DeskJet plua or Writer )
>Apparently, you don't get the full benefit of the faster printer until
>you put it on a II-class machine.

Even though a DeskWriter is generally CPU bound on a MacPlus, it is still
faster than the DeskJet or DeskJet Plus solutions for the Mac.   The only
solution that comes close to DeskWriter's performance is Orange Micro's new
Grappler LX product on a DeskJet Plus.  The only other case is when the
built in fonts of the DeskJet are used (ugh).

Steven Miller
Vancouver Division
Hewlett Packard

harry@ngc.UUCP (Harry Saal) (09/23/89)

Thanks to HP for illuminating some of the reasons the DeskWriter is
so swift.  I was frankly quite disappointing by the marketing hype
surrounding the DeskJet vs. DeskJet Plus, because it talked about
speed advantages "in certain cases" but really didn't address "average"
documents, nor spell out what cases had been optimized. I ended up
having these two models side by side, running what I felt were "typical"
usages, and the Plus showed around a 5% advantage (perhaps stop watch
error?).

Could we learn more about when Mode 3 compression is a winner? Does it help
with documents that are typical of rich output from Word, Draw or Paint?

neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Dave Neff) (09/26/89)

> Thanks to HP for illuminating some of the reasons the DeskWriter is
> so swift.  I was frankly quite disappointing by the marketing hype
> surrounding the DeskJet vs. DeskJet Plus, because it talked about
> speed advantages "in certain cases" but really didn't address "average"
> documents, nor spell out what cases had been optimized. I ended up
> having these two models side by side, running what I felt were "typical"
> usages, and the Plus showed around a 5% advantage (perhaps stop watch
> error?).

The DeskJet+ is mainly faster when the centronics port is used and when
dealing with graphics output (compressed or otherwise) and font downloads.
If you are using a serial port and/or printing mainly text the DeskJet+
will not be much faster.  Most of the third party DeskJet drivers for the
Mac are CPU and/or IO limitted so the DeskJet+ does not give much of
a speed advantage.  The DeskJet+ also picks and moves paper twice as
fast but the ink cartridge still moves at the same speed.  This makes the
printer seem much faster (watching a DeskJet load paper after using a
DeskJet+ is painful) but the paper pick/move time is really a small part
of the overall print time (that was maybe the 5% you saw).  For centronics
graphics only output the DeskJet+ is really 5 times faster than a DeskJet.
For text its a bit faster.  Depending on your mix of text to graphics,
what IO is being used, and how fast your CPU can generate the images,
the numbers can be anywhere between no faster to 5 times faster
comparing a DeskJet to DeskJet+.  If you are using a serial port at
19.2K baud and your application/driver uses the mode 2 compression for
full page graphics, and can generate the images fast enough, the DeskJet+
will be about 2 to 3 times faster than a DeskJet.  Obviously it is
impossible to say the DeskJet+ is N times faster than a DeskJet when
there are so many variables that affect the result (CPU, graphics, text,
downloads, compression modes, and IO).  Comparing the DeskWriter to the
other Mac printers is easier since the main variable is CPU and memory
configuration.  Everything else is pretty much fixed.

> Could we learn more about when Mode 3 compression is a winner? Does it help
> with documents that are typical of rich output from Word, Draw or Paint?

I don't know to what extent we are allowed to talk about mode 3 compression.
We have applied for a patent on the technique so it has been made public
to the extent that the patent application requires.  It basically helps
with everything except heavily dithered scanned images.  It is similar
to compression modes used by FAX machines but enhanced.  It has been
added to the official HP Printer Control Language specification.  I'll
try to find out if we can talk about more details.

Dave Neff
neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM

yost@esquire.UUCP (David A. Yost) (09/26/89)

In article <780057@hpvcfs1.HP.COM> neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Dave Neff) writes:
>The DeskJet+ is mainly faster when the centronics port is used and when
>dealing with graphics output (compressed or otherwise) and font downloads.
> ... For centronics
>graphics only output the DeskJet+ is really 5 times faster than a DeskJet.

Why not make a SCSI->Centronics adaptor
as an official supported HP product
for Mac users?

 --dave yost

neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Dave Neff) (09/28/89)

>In article <780057@hpvcfs1.HP.COM> neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Dave Neff) writes:
>>The DeskJet+ is mainly faster when the centronics port is used and when
>>dealing with graphics output (compressed or otherwise) and font downloads.
>> ... For centronics
>>graphics only output the DeskJet+ is really 5 times faster than a DeskJet.

>Why not make a SCSI->Centronics adaptor
>as an official supported HP product
>for Mac users?
>
> --dave yost

Because the DeskWriter is the official supported HP printer for Mac users.
Are we going around in circles yet :-).

Really, the issue is one of support, user satisfaction, and so forth.
Prior to the DeskWriter there was no "HP blessed" solution to using
DeskJets with the Mac.  The DeskWriter is specifically designed and
optimized for use with the Mac.  We don't want to confuse the issue
by providing alternatives.

Of course third party alternatives (chooser drivers with various
high speed serial or SCSI to centronics converter) are always possible,
but its up to the third party to support the DeskJets in that
configuration, not HP.

It wouldn't be too hard to convert the DeskWriter driver to work with
the DeskJet+ using 19.2K baud and mode 2 graphics.  This would give about
a 1/2 page per minute printer (compared to the 1 page per minute of
DeskWriter).  Certainly some sort of hardware converter could put
performance closer to the DeskWriter (the DeskWriter would still be a
bit faster due to bi-directional graphics and other enhancements).
We'd just have to support it.  Call our support line at
208-323-2551 and tell them you want such a supported driver.  If
enough people call maybe the right people would respond, you never
know.

Dave Neff
neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM

yost@esquire.UUCP (David A. Yost) (09/29/89)

In article <780063@hpvcfs1.HP.COM> neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Dave Neff) writes:
>Prior to the DeskWriter there was no "HP blessed" solution to using
>DeskJets with the Mac.  The DeskWriter is specifically designed and
>optimized for use with the Mac.
>
>Of course third party alternatives (chooser drivers with various
>high speed serial or SCSI to centronics converter) are always possible,
>
>Certainly some sort of hardware converter could put
>performance closer to the DeskWriter (the DeskWriter would still be a
>bit faster due to bi-directional graphics and other enhancements).

Now I'm totally confused.  Are you saying that if
HP were to offer a DeskWriter option that used a
SCSI connection to the printer, it would not yield
improved speed over the present DeskWriter configuration?

BTW, what is the DeskJet interface?
LocalTalk?  Serial at some high baudrate?
Is the DeskJet driver an in-house development,
or did HP acquire it from Insight or somewhere
else outside?

 --dave yost

neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Dave Neff) (10/03/89)

In article <780063@hpvcfs1.HP.COM> neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Dave Neff) writes:
>Prior to the DeskWriter there was no "HP blessed" solution to using
>DeskJets with the Mac.  The DeskWriter is specifically designed and
>optimized for use with the Mac.
>
>Of course third party alternatives (chooser drivers with various
>high speed serial or SCSI to centronics converter) are always possible,
>
>Certainly some sort of hardware converter could put
>performance closer to the DeskWriter (the DeskWriter would still be a
>bit faster due to bi-directional graphics and other enhancements).

>>Now I'm totally confused.  Are you saying that if
>>HP were to offer a DeskWriter option that used a
>>SCSI connection to the printer, it would not yield
>>improved speed over the present DeskWriter configuration?

No you aren't confused.  Adding a faster interface to the DeskWriter
would not improve performance.  Why?  The DeskWriter can only
mechanically pick up paper and move the print head over the paper
at about a 1 page per minute rate.  This is the rate the DeskWriter
runs on a Mac II for most cases.  The DeskWriter is not IO limittted,
it is mechanism limitted, so faster IO would make no difference.

>>BTW, what is the DeskJet interface?
>>LocalTalk?  Serial at some high baudrate?
>>Is the DeskJet driver an in-house development,
>>or did HP acquire it from Insight or somewhere
>>else outside?

The DeskWriter has a 57K baud serial interface.  The DeskJet/DeskJet+ has a
19.2K baud serial and a parallel interface.  On the DeskJet+ the
parallel interface can run much faster than 19.2K baud.  That is, the
DeskJet+ will be IO limitted at 19.2K baud but will be mechanism
limitted using the parallel port (assuming the application/driver can
generate graphics at a 1 page per minute rate or better).
Hence a hardware converter for the Mac could boost performance for a
DeskJet+ (IO limitted) but would make no difference for a DeskWriter
(mechanism or CPU limitted).  The DeskWriter also has mode 3 graphics
which results in much greater graphics compression than the mode 2
support in the DeskJet+.  This also helps the DeskWriter to not be IO
limitted at 57K baud.

The DeskWriter driver was written in house with help from Palomar
Software and using the Compugraphics Intellifont outlines and filling/
scaling algorithms.

Dave Neff
neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM