[comp.sys.mac] Apples Warranty Sucks

t-jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) (09/27/89)

In article <32434@srcsip.UUCP> mnkonar@src.honeywell.com (Murat N. Konar) writes:

>whole point of offering only a 90 day warranty is that it gives customers
>an incentive to buy AppleCare.  AppleCare makes dealers lots of money.

Boy, It's even more of an incentive to buy a 3rd party internal drive with
a 1-5 year warranty!!!!!

Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu

heberlei@iris.ucdavis.edu (Todd) (09/28/89)

In article <1989Sep26.124447.23473@hellgate.utah.edu> t-jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) writes:
>In article <32434@srcsip.UUCP> mnkonar@src.honeywell.com (Murat N. Konar) writes:
>
>>whole point of offering only a 90 day warranty is that it gives customers
>>an incentive to buy AppleCare.  AppleCare makes dealers lots of money.
>
>Boy, It's even more of an incentive to buy a 3rd party internal drive with
>a 1-5 year warranty!!!!!

If it can be done, I would recommend purchasing your Apple computer on
an American Express card to get the extended one year warranty.  I
wish I would have done that-I just forked out about $270 to extend my
warranty.  Has anyone out in NetLand done this or knows if it will
work?

>Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu

Todd Heberlein
heberlei@iris.ucdavis.edu	128.120.57.20

russ@key.COM (Russell Donnan) (09/29/89)

In article <5439@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> heberlei@iris.ucdavis.edu (Todd) writes:

>If it can be done, I would recommend purchasing your Apple computer on
>an American Express card to get the extended one year warranty.  I
>wish I would have done that-I just forked out about $270 to extend my
>warranty.  Has anyone out in NetLand done this or knows if it will
>work?
>
>Todd Heberlein
>heberlei@iris.ucdavis.edu	128.120.57.20

Yes, purchasing your Mac with American Express would increase your warranty,
but it would DOUBLE it, not make it one year.  That means 180 days, -or-
6 months to you and me.  i.e. not much of a difference for the sake of
paying off an $8,000+ charge in one month.

-Russ
---------------------------------------
Russ Donnan
Amdahl, Key Computer Labroatories, Fremont, CA, USA
(415) 623-2121, russ@key.amdahl.com, ...!{pacbell,amdahl,sgi}!key!russ
DISCLAIMER:  I am not affiliated in any way with American Express or any
of their competitors for that matter.  Amdahl may or may not share my
views.  I haven't asked them!  ;-)

rajiv@ee.rochester.edu (Rajiv Arora) (09/29/89)

In article <1124@key.COM> russ@xanadu.key.COM (Russell Donnan) writes:
>In article <5439@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> heberlei@iris.ucdavis.edu (Todd) writes:
>>
>>If it can be done, I would recommend purchasing your Apple computer on
>>an American Express card to get the extended one year warranty.  I
>>wish I would have done that-I just forked out about $270 to extend my
>>warranty.  Has anyone out in NetLand done this or knows if it will
>>work?
>>
>Yes, purchasing your Mac with American Express would increase your warranty,
>but it would DOUBLE it, not make it one year.  That means 180 days, -or-
>6 months to you and me.  i.e. not much of a difference for the sake of
>paying off an $8,000+ charge in one month.

You get the same "double the warranty period" if you use the Citbank Classic
Visa/MC cards. And that you DON'T have to pay off in a month!

Rajiv Arora
--
Addresses:
	UUCP:   ...!rochester!ur-valhalla!rajiv

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (10/03/89)

In article <1989Sep29.145311.9386@ee.rochester.edu> rajiv@ee.rochester.edu (Rajiv Arora) writes:
>In article <1124@key.COM> russ@xanadu.key.COM (Russell Donnan) writes:
>>Yes, purchasing your Mac with American Express would increase your warranty,
>>but it would DOUBLE it, not make it one year.  That means 180 days, -or-
>>6 months to you and me.  i.e. not much of a difference for the sake of
>>paying off an $8,000+ charge in one month.
>
>You get the same "double the warranty period" if you use the Citbank Classic
>Visa/MC cards. And that you DON'T have to pay off in a month!

But you DO have to pay exhorbitant interest rates if you don't pay it
off in a month. :-)

Seriously, thanks for the info.  I've got a Citibank Classic MC and
didn't know about that.

--
Geoff Allen                  \  Disclaimer:  WINCO doesn't believe in Macs,
{uunet,bigtex}!pmafire!geoff  \  so of course these are my views.