[comp.sys.mac] LaserWriter 6.0

gelphman@adobe.COM (David Gelphman) (08/10/89)

In article <1422@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> rjt@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (ross.j.thompson) writes:
>I need to somehow get a copy of the recently released Apple driver for
>a color postscript printer.  I have tried calling my local dealer, the
>printer manufacturer, Apple, etc...  I am specifically referring to
>LaserWriter Version 6.0 (appledict 70), not to be confused with system
>tools version 6.0.  I understand that this new driver with be included in the
>system 7.0 release coming this fall.  In the mean time, I would like to be
>able to used my color printers.
>					Ross Thompson
    Apple released the driver at the Mac Developers conference in May
on the Apple Color Disk. This disk also contains what you need to use
32 bit QuickDraw. You do NOT need to use 32 bit QuickDraw to take advantage
of the Color capabilities of the new driver and you don't need to be using
a color printer. On a black and white device, color is mapped into gray
levels.
    I believe that you can obtain the new driver from dealers if you
ask for the Apple Color Disk. The software is also available from
AppleLink, Compuserve, and GEnie. I suspect users groups like BMUG
have permission to distribute it but I don't know that for certain.
    Besides the color capabilities of the new driver there are a couple
of other nice new things.
* The output from the driver is improved from a compatibility standpoint.
You can now take the command-k dump and print it to any non-Apple PostScript
printer.
* The driver is much faster at printing on printers with a hard disk
(with lots of fonts) attached.
* There is now a pop up menu in the page setup dialog which has some new
paper sizes available. A number of printer manufacturers will be shipping
a customized LW 6.0 with their printer so they can support new page sizes
such as 35mm slide formats.

I hope this information is helpful,
David Gelphman
Adobe Systems Incorporated

sarrel@sioux.cis.ohio-state.edu (Marc Sarrel) (08/29/89)

Thanks to all who responded to my original posting asking about
LaserWriter driver 6.0.  The consensus is that you have to ask for the
"color disk" with "32-bit quickdraw" whick also happens to have LW 6.0
on it (the relevant buzzwords that will trigger conditioned responses
in sales people have been quoted for your convenience) :-).  I
originally asked for LaserWriter driver 6.0 and was told that they
didn't have it.  However, when I went back (admittedly a few weeks
later) and asked for the color disk, I had no problems.  Sigh...

--marc
-=-
"Master, why is the letter 'i' the symbol for current?"  "Because there is
no letter 'i' in the word 'current'."  "Master, why do we use the letter
'j' for sqrt(-1)?"  "Because we use the letter 'i' for current."  Whereupon
the Master struck the Disciple, and the Disciple became enlightened.

gelphman@adobe.COM (David Gelphman) (09/30/89)

In article <1799@cooper.cooper.EDU> joseph@cooper.cooper.EDU (Joe Giannuzzi) writes:
>in article <1989Sep27.203828.12583@agate.berkeley.edu>, steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) says:
>>
>> I just spoke to Silicon Beach and asked them to send me this
>> version. They emphasized that there wasn't really a bug in the
>> previous version and that I would only need it if I used
>> driver 6.0 which comes with system 6.0.3. So those who haven't
   This is a common, easily understood misconception. LaserWriter driver
version 6.0 does NOT come with any System 6.0.x release I have seen
(I haven't seen 6.0.4 yet). The version of the LaserWriter driver
which comes with that System release is version 5.2. If you are
looking for LaserWriter 6.0 (which supports PostScript color output
devices and grayscale printing to black and white PostScript output
devices, among a number of improvements), obtain the disk called
Apple Color Disk. This disk contains 32-bit Color Quickdraw (NOT
required for color printing) and LaserWriter/LaserPrep 6.0.

Just wanted to clear up any misunderstandings.

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (10/03/89)

In article <1252@adobe.UUCP> gelphman@adobe.UUCP (David Gelphman) writes:

<   This is a common, easily understood misconception. LaserWriter driver
<version 6.0 does NOT come with any System 6.0.x release I have seen
<(I haven't seen 6.0.4 yet). The version of the LaserWriter driver
<which comes with that System release is version 5.2. If you are
<looking for LaserWriter 6.0 (which supports PostScript color output
<devices and grayscale printing to black and white PostScript output
<devices, among a number of improvements), obtain the disk called
<Apple Color Disk. This disk contains 32-bit Color Quickdraw (NOT
<required for color printing) and LaserWriter/LaserPrep 6.0.

Do all Apple Dealers have this disk? If it was sent out to them, does
anyone know when?

I tried to get the driver this weekend. The dealer knew nothing about it.
Is there anything else I could say to jog their memory?  Or maybe not
everyone got it?

I've been experimenting with grayscale images digitized by MacVision. I
got the best prints from PageMaker, but I'd rather use Word. I understand
that this driver is what stands between the ugly prints I got and something
more like those from PageMaker. Is there any chance that this driver would
improve the prints I got from Digital Darkroom and MacVision?

Shirley Kehr