[comp.sys.mac] SCSI interface and case.

davidc@ziebmef.mef.org (David Carlton) (09/29/89)

-------------
I'm interested in finding out if there is a company that sells Hard Drives
without the drive mechanism itself.  I have access to a raw drive, but
need the case, power supply, interfacing electronics, and possibly
some software to install the drive...  I would be connecting it to a Mac Plus.

If you know of any companies out there in north american net-land that
do indeed sell such an animal, please send me EMAIL.

Such things have been around for many years in the PC, Amiga, and ST.
I cannot believe that some enterprising company has not tried the same
thing on the Mac.

Thank you for your time...

Yours,
David P. Carlton - Systems Technician             Witty commentary?
davidc@ziebmef.mef.org                            Not my job.
or                                                            O.O
uunet!{utgpu!moore,attcan!telly}!ziebmef!davidc                U

ggiergiel@vmsa.oac.uci.edu (09/30/89)

In article <1989Sep29.021539.3202@ziebmef.mef.org>, davidc@ziebmef.mef.org (David Carlton) writes...

>-------------
>I'm interested in finding out if there is a company that sells Hard Drives
>without the drive mechanism itself.  I have access to a raw drive, but
>need the case, power supply, interfacing electronics, and possibly
>some software to install the drive...  I would be connecting it to a Mac Plus.

La CIE sells a decent kit for something around $170.

russ@key.COM (Russell Donnan) (10/03/89)

In article <1989Sep29.021539.3202@ziebmef.mef.org> davidc@ziebmef.mef.org (David Carlton) writes:
>I'm interested in finding out if there is a company that sells Hard Drives
>without the drive mechanism itself.  I have access to a raw drive, but
>need the case, power supply, interfacing electronics, and possibly
>some software to install the drive...  I would be connecting it to a Mac Plus.
All you need to complete your hardrive is a case and power supply
along with a small ribbon cable and a connector for the back of the case.
The reason noone would make such a beast (sorry if someone does ;-) )
is because you can buy this type of thing cheaply via mailorder or
your local electronic supply store.  (Please do NOT read this as
Radio Shack!)  I did this for my drive and saved about $350.  The
main thing you DON'T get by rolling your own is a device driver
and disk formatter.  Check into this first!  Expect to pay approx.
$60 - $80 for a case with a power supply and fan built in.  I bought
a nice one from JDR Microdevices for $65.

>Such things have been around for many years in the PC, Amiga, and ST.
>I cannot believe that some enterprising company has not tried the same
>thing on the Mac.

There is NO interfacing electronics because SCSI implies that the drive
controller is in the drive.  This is different than the PC world where
the drive controller is separate.  Make sure your drive is a SCSI drive.
Most of all, have fun!

-Russ Donnan, russ@key.amdahl.com, ...!{amdahl,sgi,pacbell}!key!russ