[comp.sys.mac] DA Handler beeps; SE/30 screen probs.

danno@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Your host... Dieter) (10/03/89)

In article <13904@well.UUCP> nilesinc@well.UUCP (Avi Rappoport) writes:

>In article <15876@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> (Daniel McKinnon III) writes:
>(stuff about DA Handler beeping under 4 meg system, DA opens OK

>Thoughts, anyone?
>>
>>Danno
>
>Our customers who have this problem often have an init called "HDPartition"
>This was distributed on Jasmine drives for a while, and they say that it's
>a really bad program.  When they take that out, EndNote stops beeping!
>
>Avi
>
>-- Help me justify my online bills: ask me EndNote questions, please! --
>Niles & Associates, Inc.
>2000 Hearst St. Berkeley, CA 94709			415-655-6666
>nilsinc@well, Niles.Assoc (AppleLink)

I have a Jasmine, oddly enough, but HDPartition didn't come with it; Jasmine
deletes it now 'cause DriveWare does better partitioning. Yes, I am partitioned,
so that may be my (very-odd-if-so) problem. BTW: I'm running Multifinder 6.1b7;
don't know if that will spur anyone to answering, but there it is. (Can we get
more of these betas officially? I hear it's up to b9.)

I'll find out tomorrow when I exchange my SE/30 for one without a screwy screen
and load up the internal hard disk (yes, I got one of those 80s.) Has anyone
else had a problem with the SE/30 4meg/80 screen? Mine is pinched in lower
left corner, and bows in upper right corner-- gives a "perspective" effect. I
brought to our repair shop for tweaking, and they said they just put in a
new one. Well, it has the same problem. Could the power supply be improperly
shielded and doing weird magnetic things? That's all I can think of.

Ciao,
Danno

|\_______/| Someone send me a new Tragedy mask graphic!|  Daniel McKinnon
|         |                                            |
| O     O | Comedy must be played with a straight face;| danno@dartmouth.edu
|    \    | Only tragedy deserves laughter.            |
|    -    |                          --Clive Barker    |
|   ___   |
 \ /   \ / It's always darkest before it turns pitch black.
  -------                                                         --Heretix

39clocks@violet.berkeley.edu (10/03/89)

In article <15907@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> danno@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Your host... Dieter) writes:
>I'll find out tomorrow when I exchange my SE/30 for one without a screwy screen
>and load up the internal hard disk (yes, I got one of those 80s.) Has anyone
>else had a problem with the SE/30 4meg/80 screen? Mine is pinched in lower
>left corner, and bows in upper right corner-- gives a "perspective" effect. I
>brought to our repair shop for tweaking, and they said they just put in a
>new one. Well, it has the same problem. Could the power supply be improperly
>shielded and doing weird magnetic things? That's all I can think of.

As a matter of fact, I had almost the exact same problem that you had.  After
attempting, unsuccessfully, to have the machine fixed at the apple dealer where
I made the purchase, I called apple.  They told me that I could have the repair
done at any certified apple dealer (under warantee), so I took it to a store
that claims to be the largest retailer of Macs in northern california.  They
gave me a new tube and it's quite square ('er rectangular). The techie that did
the work told me that compact mac monitors are not as square as they used to
be (128k,512,+, etc era).  I have a hunch that whowever did the work for you
either didn't and said they did, or put in a new tube but forgot what your
original complaint was.  I say take it back, especially if it is still under
warantee.  If apple continues to offer a measly 90 day warantee on it's products
I'm going to make absolutely certain that future macs I buy are perfect. That
means bringing them in to report a problem no matter how minor it is.  Even
though it is a hassle, it has the net effect of extending the warantee period,
(apple is obligated to repair a defect as long as it was reported within the
90 period).

I doubt that it is a shielding problem. If it were, then the vast majority of
SE/30s would exibit the same problem.

Sorry, I should have warned you that there would be a flame attached to this
response.  By the way, the reason the original dealer wouldn't fix the mac for
me was because he "didn't think that the screen had a _radical_ problem".  I
couldn't get it through his head that reading text that waves across the screen
is annoying and very fatiguing.

 Peter