[comp.sys.mac] Translation of BBC-B format docs to PC or Mac

A.Stenhouse@massey.ac.nz (Alan Stenhouse) (09/27/89)

Can somebody please help.

My father has been using a BBC model B as a word processor for a number
of years now. He has many years of work (he's an author as well as a
lecturer) stored on disk in BBC format. He has recently bought a Macintosh
and wants to transfer his documents from the BBC format to the Mac.

Does anybody know how this can be done? Is there a program for it?
Can they be translated to plain ASCII? It would be a real help to him if
someone can tell us.

If anyone else wants to know (and if I get some replies), email me.

Thanks in advance, Alan.

* Alan Stenhouse	| Phone     0064 63 69099 ext. 8745
* Computer Science Dept | Fax.      0064 63 505611
* Massey University	| Internet: A.Stenhouse@massey.ac.nz
* Palmerston North      | Janet:    A.Stenhouse@nz.ac.massey
* New Zealand           | DON'T PANIC!
*------------------------------------------------------------*

phil@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (10/03/89)

In article <142cs-sunb@massey.ac.nz>, A.Stenhouse@massey.ac.nz (Alan Stenhouse)
writes:
> Can somebody please help.
>
> My father has been using a BBC model B as a word processor for a number
> of years now. He has many years of work (he's an author as well as a
> lecturer) stored on disk in BBC format. He has recently bought a Macintosh
> and wants to transfer his documents from the BBC format to the Mac.

There is a program available commercially that will allow you to transfer BBC
View documents to the Mac and convert them into MacWrite (I think).  As I
recall it's called "BBCtoMac" (and Back) or somesuch thing.  If you do not
mind reformatting your text then you could save it as an ASCII text stream from
your BBC word-processor (check out *SPOOL in the BBC manual, or the
wordprocessor might support text-streaming directly) and then use Kermit on a
Mac and a Beeb.  The Kermit solution is totally free, gratis and without
charge, and I've transferred BBC files that way myself.

If you want any further details e-mail me if you like.

Computer Science Dept.,   *                                                 *
Liverpool University,     * JANET : PHIL@UK.AC.LIV.CS.MVA                   *
PO Box 147                * ARPA  : PHIL%mva.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu   *
Liverpool  L69  3BX       *                                                 *