[comp.sys.mac] Multiple OSs at once!

henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) (09/28/89)

In article <528@cpdaux.UUCP> cpdaux!steve@apple.com (Steve Lemke) writes:
>A friend of mine suggested the three-in-one demonstration, namely a Mac
>running MultiFinder (with lots of RAM), SoftPC w or w/o Window, and
>][ in a Mac (Apple ][ emulator for the Mac).  Three OS in one machine at
>the same time.

Why stop at three?  The latest (9/26) MacWeek has an article about a
UNIX clone which runs under MultiFinder.  [Called MacIDRIS by
Whitesmith].  How about: a Mac (with a ton of memory) running (1)
MultiFinder, (2) MS-DOS via SoftPC, (3) Apple II OS via II in a Mac,
and (4) UNIX via MacIDRIS!

Come to think of it, aren't there MS-DOS emulators which run under
UNIX?  Just think of it! ;-{)

--
  H3nry C. Schmitt     | CompuServe: 72275,1456  (Rarely)
                       | GEnie: H.Schmitt  (Occasionally)
 Royal Inn of Yoruba   | UUCP: Henry@chinet.chi.il.us  (Best Bet)

d88-sli@nada.kth.se (Stefan Lindmark) (09/28/89)

In article <9688@chinet.chi.il.us> henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) writes:
[stuff deleted about perverting a Mac to run MS-D*S, etc]

>Come to think of it, aren't there MS-DOS emulators which run under
>UNIX?  Just think of it! ;-{)

Try DOS-Windows for Sun-workstations running SunView. Will run MS-D*S and PC
programs with MGA/Hercules/CGA-graphics emulation. You'll have to switch
between modes manually though...

Enjoy all the pleasures of the Big Bad Blue World  :-P

--
Stefan Lindmark  Email: d88-sli@nada.kth.se  Snail-mail: Don't even bother...
If everybody helped one newuser today, the world would look a bit happier.

james@utastro.UUCP (James McCartney) (09/28/89)

In article <9688@chinet.chi.il.us>, henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) writes:
> Come to think of it, aren't there MS-DOS emulators which run under
> UNIX?  Just think of it! ;-{)

   Aren't there Unix emulators that run under MS-DOS? You could have A/UX
running MS-DOS emulating UNIX emulating MS-DOS emulating UNIX ...

--- James McCartney

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (09/29/89)

As quoted from <9688@chinet.chi.il.us> by henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt):
+---------------
| In article <528@cpdaux.UUCP> cpdaux!steve@apple.com (Steve Lemke) writes:
| >A friend of mine suggested the three-in-one demonstration, namely a Mac
| >running MultiFinder (with lots of RAM), SoftPC w or w/o Window, and
| >][ in a Mac (Apple ][ emulator for the Mac).  Three OS in one machine at
| >the same time.
|
| Why stop at three?  The latest (9/26) MacWeek has an article about a
| UNIX clone which runs under MultiFinder.  [Called MacIDRIS by
| Whitesmith].  How about: a Mac (with a ton of memory) running (1)
| MultiFinder, (2) MS-DOS via SoftPC, (3) Apple II OS via II in a Mac,
| and (4) UNIX via MacIDRIS!
+---------------

How about two copies of SoftPC... one running a CP/M emulator under MS-DOS?

;-)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@NCoast.ORG
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

thwang@cory.Berkeley.EDU (HWANG TSONG-WEN) (10/01/89)

In article <9688@chinet.chi.il.us> henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) writes:

>Why stop at three?  The latest (9/26) MacWeek has an article about a
>UNIX clone which runs under MultiFinder.  [Called MacIDRIS by
>Whitesmith].
>
>  H3nry C. Schmitt     | CompuServe: 72275,1456  (Rarely)

Has anybody actually used MacIDRIS, or am I being a little hasty in
asking?  If not, any subjective or objective evaluations, comments,
flames, etc. would be appreciated.

Please email to robert@toaster.sfsu.edu; this is a friend's account.

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (10/03/89)

In article <17887@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> thwang@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (HWANG TSONG-WEN) writes:
>In article <9688@chinet.chi.il.us> henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) writes:
>>
>> [other O.S.'s discussion]
>
>Has anybody actually used MacIDRIS, or am I being a little hasty in
>asking?  If not, any subjective or objective evaluations, comments,
>flames, etc. would be appreciated.

	I just recieved a copy of the product, MacIDRIS, and have not really
had a chance to play with it other than installing it and a little hacking
around.
	My initial impressions are not very good, as I was expecting a MUCH
better job of integrating  UNIX into the Mac. What they have done is literally
made an application which is a UNIX shell, complete with it's own file system(s)
single/multi-user operation, multitasking and SHARED MEMORY!  This is all well
and good and I give them credit for doing it, but I think it is the wrong
approach (at least for what I would have liked to see).
	I will post more after I have some time to play with it.

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025