[comp.sys.mac] Dogcows

lance@hermix.UUCP (Lance Ellinghouse) (09/16/89)

Ok. How can I get to TN#31??
I have tried everything I can figure out.
I am not very good with HyperCard, so I am probably missing a lot.

Can someone be kind enough to send me instructions to get at it?

Thanks

--
Lance Ellinghouse
Mark V Systems, Ltd.

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (09/18/89)

In article <309@hermix.UUCP> lance@hermix.UUCP (Lance Ellinghouse) writes:
>Ok. How can I get to TN#31??
>I have tried everything I can figure out.
>I am not very good with HyperCard, so I am probably missing a lot.

Everything?  Maybe you are trying too hard.  Think about dialogs which
look suspicious.  Think about ... never mind.

--
Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

iand@munnari.oz.au (Ian Robert DOBSON) (09/28/89)

Ok, I've finally managed to unlock the puzzle of the Dogcow and have
managed to get a decent printout by pulling the PICTs into Macdraw.  But
I've still got this "Technical note stack Technote#31" junk written all
over the screen.  Is there an actual Macwrite version of the technote
out there that anybody has?  Or does some old version of the Stack have
the note without the junk?

Ian R. Dobson
...!munnari.oz!munmurra.mu.oz!iand

*  So this is it....
*
*  .... We're going to DIE!
*
*  "The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" - Douglas Adams

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (09/28/89)

In article <2242@munnari.oz.au> iand@munnari.oz.au (Ian Robert DOBSON) writes:
>Ok, I've finally managed to unlock the puzzle of the Dogcow and have
>managed to get a decent printout by pulling the PICTs into Macdraw.  But
>I've still got this "Technical note stack Technote#31" junk written all
>over the screen.  Is there an actual Macwrite version of the technote
>out there that anybody has?  Or does some old version of the Stack have
>the note without the junk?

Sorry, the "junk" was put there intentionally.  It was either release an
electronic version of the Note with the junk or don't release an electronic
version of the Note.  We decided upon the former.  There are no other disk
versions of this Note available outside of Apple (or inside Apple for that
matter).  If you want an original printed copy, you should either check
with APDA, con a Partner or Associate out of a photocopy, or send cash
donations to the author, Mark Harlan, care of MacDTS. :-)

--
Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

@read.columbia.edum) (f) (09/28/89)

Just a warning.

I was intrigued by all the PuppyCalf postings; fortunately I
knew someone at a company who had a paper copy of tech note 31.

The bottom line is IT IS PRETTY STUPID.  If you haven't seen it,
you haven't missed anything.  It is the type of essay that 3rd graders
write about their imaginary playmates - making up facts about the
PuppyCalf, and where it came from, and how it behaves, etc..
If you like watching StarTrek reruns for the 20th time, you might enjoy
this.

-disappointed,
-steve

joseph@cooper.cooper.EDU (Joe Giannuzzi) (09/29/89)

In article <2242@munnari.oz.au> iand@munnari.oz.au (Ian Robert DOBSON) writes:
>Ok, I've finally managed to unlock the puzzle of the Dogcow and have
>managed to get a decent printout by pulling the PICTs into Macdraw.  But
>I've still got this "Technical note stack Technote#31" junk written all
>over the screen.

Since it seems that everybody is through beating a dead dogcow, allow me
to ask a silly question.  The dogcow is the topic of the "unused" TN #31.
Is there a TN #49, the other unused note, hidden somewhere in the stack?
Does a TN #49 exist in any form?  Just curious.

| Disclaimer -> Reality is just a figment of your imagination.	|
| Remember -> Spatula City, for all your spatula needs.	(UHF)	|
|								|
| Joseph -> joseph@cooper.cooper.edu OR cmcl2!cooper!joseph	|

jh0576@leah.Albany.Edu (Joe Houghtaling) (10/01/89)

I'm hoping someone out there can help me on this one.  I was looking at a
friend's copy of Apple Technote #31 (the Dogcow) from his technote stack and
in the course of poking around in the stack script, managed somehow to mung
it up.  Tried everything I could.  Needless to say my friend is a tad upset.
Would some kind soul please supply me the correct text of the following routine
from the stack script:

From Script of stack "Technical Notes Stack 3.1"

on goEnvsm
  global theEnvsm
  ask "What was that again?"
  if main(it) = "Tenmvat bss n pyvss" then
    repeat with which = 1 to 3
      put main("gacvpg gafg"&which&",1,0") into the Envsm
      do mainstream - (note, this is where the execution dies)
    end repeat
  else
    put empty into theEnvsm
  endif
end goEnvsm

I'd _really_ appreciate some help on this.  My friend has been really
tolerant about losing access to the Dogcow TN. ("Oh, I've read it a few
times already")  but he spent 12 hours downloading it.  I know if I were
he, I'd boil me in oil.

Again, thanks.

joe houghtaling
jh0576@leah.albany.edu

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (10/02/89)

In article <6518@columbia.edu> kearns@cs.columbia.edu writes:

>Just a warning.
>
>I was intrigued by all the PuppyCalf postings; fortunately I
>knew someone at a company who had a paper copy of tech note 31.
>
>The bottom line is IT IS PRETTY STUPID.  If you haven't seen it,
>you haven't missed anything.  It is the type of essay that 3rd graders
>write about their imaginary playmates - making up facts about the
>PuppyCalf, and where it came from, and how it behaves, etc..
>If you like watching StarTrek reruns for the 20th time, you might enjoy
>this.

Gee, I'm sorry you didn't like it.  If you feel strongly about this,
you can voice your displeasure directly to the author by writing to
Mark Harlan at the address listed in Technical Note #0.  I'm sure
he would appreciate hearing from you.

--

In article <1798@cooper.cooper.EDU> joseph@cooper.cooper.EDU (Joe Giannuzzi) writes:
>Since it seems that everybody is through beating a dead dogcow, allow me
>to ask a silly question.  The dogcow is the topic of the "unused" TN #31.
>Is there a TN #49, the other unused note, hidden somewhere in the stack?
>Does a TN #49 exist in any form?  Just curious.

No comment.

--

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (10/04/89)

In article <35170@apple.Apple.COM> mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) writes:
>In article <6518@columbia.edu> kearns@cs.columbia.edu writes:
>>The bottom line is IT IS PRETTY STUPID.  If you haven't seen it,
>>you haven't missed anything.  It is the type of essay that 3rd graders
>>write about their imaginary playmates - making up facts about the
>>PuppyCalf, and where it came from, and how it behaves, etc..
>>If you like watching StarTrek reruns for the 20th time, you might enjoy
>>this.

*sigh*  I'm one of those people who enjoy Trek reruns for the 20th time.
I also thought Technote 31 was funny.  Guess I'm just one of those
rejects who read UseNet, study dogcows, and watch Trek on Sunday
nights.

I'm sorry.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock  '90                     | E-mail: (BITNET/UUCP/INTERNET)
Computer Resource Center Consultant  |    isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu