[comp.sys.mac] HP IIP & Postscript

kevin@nlm-mcs.arpa (Kevin Rosenberg) (10/01/89)

I've heard of HP's Postscript cartridge for the IIP.  Does anyone know
if this catridge (or HP's cartridge for the II), uses Adobe's(tm)
Postscript.  Since I have a large number of Abode's encrypted fonts,
I need to get an Adobe-brand interpreter.

Thanks,
Kevin

kevin@mcs.nlm.nih.gov

neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Dave Neff) (10/03/89)

Regarding PostScript cartridge for the LaserJet IIP.

Yes, it is an Adobe (tm) licensed PostScript implimentation.  Thats
one of the reasons it costs $1000 bucks for a cartridge containing
ROM  :-).

Dave Neff
neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM

bkunz@hpdml93.HP.COM (Bob Kunz) (10/03/89)

> I've heard of HP's Postscript cartridge for the IIP.  Does anyone know
> if this catridge (or HP's cartridge for the II), uses Adobe's(tm)
> Postscript.  Since I have a large number of Abode's encrypted fonts,
> I need to get an Adobe-brand interpreter.

The announcement for the IIP Postscript cartridge is that it will be available
in the first half of '90.  There is no HP series II cartridge.  The only
cartridge solution for series II is the Pacific Data Products "PacificPage"
cartridge introduced in September.  HP's Postsrcipt cartridges are/will be Adobe
Postscript.

From the land of a million LaserJets....

Bob Kunz
Hewlett-Packard
Boise Printer Division

bezanson@adobe.COM (Brian Bezanson) (10/03/89)

In article <10294@nlm-mcs.arpa> kevin@nlm-mcs.arpa (Kevin Rosenberg) writes:
>I've heard of HP's Postscript cartridge for the IIP.  Does anyone know
>if this catridge (or HP's cartridge for the II), uses Adobe's(tm)
>Postscript.

The IIP does use an official Adobe controller so you can use your Adobe
fonts with it.
--
Brian Bezanson                                          bezanson@adobe.com
Adobe Systems Incorporated           The opinions expressed above are my

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (10/04/89)

However, I've heard that this is only ANNOUNCED, not slated for a
release any time soon, and may never see the light of day.

jas

Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu   DELPHI: JSULLIVAN	| University of Southern California

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) (10/04/89)

Jeff Sullivan of USC's Information Sciences Institute writes:

> I've heard that [the PostScript cartridge for the HP LaserJet IIP] is
> only ANNOUNCED, not slated for a release any time soon, and may never
> see the light of day.

Well, I don't know where you get your information from, Jeff, but I
talked to the marketing manager of HP's San Diego Division, who
released the IIP, and he assured me that HP was currently working
on the PS cartridge for the new IIP as one of the logical followups
to their new PostScript cartridge for the Series IID printer.  Knowing
the people involved and their committment to the Macintosh marketplace,
it'll most certainly happen.  Expect it first quarter of 1990.

					-- Dave Taylor

				Unix Editor, "The HP Chronicle"
				Macintosh Editor, "Computer Language"
Intuitive Systems
Mountain View, California

taylor@limbo.intuitive.com    or   {uunet!}{decwrl,apple}!limbo!taylor

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (10/05/89)

In article <143@limbo.Intuitive.Com> taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) writes:

   Jeff Sullivan of USC's Information Sciences Institute writes:

   > I've heard that [the PostScript cartridge for the HP LaserJet IIP] is
   > only ANNOUNCED, not slated for a release any time soon, and may never
   > see the light of day.

   Well, I don't know where you get your information from, Jeff, but I
   talked to the marketing manager of HP's San Diego Division, who
   released the IIP, and he assured me that HP was currently working
   on the PS cartridge for the new IIP as one of the logical followups
   to their new PostScript cartridge for the Series IID printer.  Knowing
   the people involved and their committment to the Macintosh marketplace,
   it'll most certainly happen.  Expect it first quarter of 1990.

					   -- Dave Taylor

Boy are YOU naive!  ;-)  HP has a standing policy that any product not
shipped may never see the light of day.  When I was waiting for my
review copy of a DeskWriter, days before it was to be released, they
were still saying "it may never actually be released."  When a product
is PROPOSED to ship in the first half of 90 (a 6MO period up to almost
a year from now), I begin to question the "most certainly"ness of the
result.  I velieve that HP has had some examples of products developed
to some level and never shipped.  Can anyone back me up on this?

Another point of curiousity is HP's traditional policy of not
commenting on unshipped products.  A week or so before the DW was to
ship, they still wouldn't admit to me on the phone that they were
actually working on one, for instance.  Why the sudden change?  It's a
little suspicious.