[comp.sys.mac] DOS text <-> Mac text

ux1413@sdcc10.ucsd.EDU (ux1413) (10/01/89)

Does anyone now of a program to convert Mac text files to DOS
text files?  I thought I could just change the carriage return
character to LF and CR cahracters but DOS programs can't seem to
see the CR character in Mac files.

Posted replies are fine.
Thanks!

cavrak@uvm-gen.UUCP (Steve Cavrak,Waterman 113,656-1483,) (10/03/89)

From article <159@sdcc10.ucsd.EDU>, by ux1413@sdcc10.ucsd.EDU (ux1413):
> Does anyone now of a program to convert Mac text files to DOS
> text files?  I thought I could just change the carriage return
> character to LF and CR cahracters but DOS programs can't seem to
> see the CR character in Mac files.
>
> Posted replies are fine.
> Thanks!

My solution set is:

a.  from DOS to MAC, I use MacSink on the Macintosh.  Here I will strip
    the [] from the beginning of each line using the Convert/Strip Controls
    menu item.

b.  from Mac to DOS, I use an EMACS style editor such as Jove, MicroEmacs,
    or my old FinalWord II.  FWII has a Convert-to-Ascii command and a
    Convert-to-FWII as well as the ability to insert the ^J.

    Or snap it over to a Unix system using Kermit.

Good luck,
Steve

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (10/04/89)

As quoted from <159@sdcc10.ucsd.EDU> by ux1413@sdcc10.ucsd.EDU (ux1413):
+---------------
| Does anyone now of a program to convert Mac text files to DOS
| text files?  I thought I could just change the carriage return
| character to LF and CR cahracters but DOS programs can't seem to
| see the CR character in Mac files.
+---------------

Make sure you write the bytes out in the order <CR><LF>; the opposite order
WILL NOT BE RECOGNIZED by Mis-DOS.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@NCoast.ORG
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

psv@nada.kth.se (Peter Svanberg) (10/05/89)

In article <1297@uvm-gen.UUCP> cavrak@uvm-gen.UUCP (Steve Cavrak,
	Waterman 113,656-1483,) writes:
>My solution set is:
>
>a.  from DOS to MAC, I use MacSink on the Macintosh...

Why not Apple File Exchange? At least in my country we get it from
Apple on the system disks.

If you think the user interface in that program is strange, I agree,
but it is possible to use...
---
psv@nada.kth.se			(should work!)	       Peter Svanberg
uunet!nada.kth.se!psv		(for lazy nodes...)    Dept of Num An & CS
psv%nada.kth.se@uunet.uu.net	(ARPA nodes)	       Royal Institute of Tech
						       Stockholm, SWEDEN