[comp.sys.mac] Appleworks conversion to Mac

mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (09/28/89)

Hi,
I am posting for a friend who is selling his IIGS and getting a mac.
He wants to convert programs from Appleworks to SOMETHING on the mac.

Does anyone know the preferred way to do this?

Thanks.

Mark Interrante   		Software Engineering Research Center
mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu		CIS Department, University of Florida 32611
"Imagine what it would be like if TV actually were good. It would be the end
 of everything we know."  Marvin Minsky

Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (09/29/89)

To convert AppleWorks stuff to the Mac, your friend should get a hold of a
SuperDrive-equipped Mac.  Shouldn't be too tough, since even the new SEs
being sold now are so equipped.  Run the program Apple File Exchange
(AFE), which comes with the System software.  (Hey, FREE!)  The SuperDrive
will then accept your friend's ProDos disks, and will perform the
conversion to Microsoft Works files for the Mac.

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!Adam.Frix

Michael.Burton@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Michael Burton) (10/01/89)

   Adam Frix wrote:
>To convert AppleWorks Stuff to the Mac, your friend should get a hold of
>a SuperDrive-equipped Mac.

   Actually, it isn't necessary to use a SuperDrive.  The regular Mac 800K
drives can read and write Apple II ProDOS disks just fine with Apple File
Exchange.  I know because I've done it.

--
Michael Burton via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!Michael.Burton

kuo@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Andy Y.A. Kuo) (10/01/89)

>To convert AppleWorks stuff to the Mac, your friend should get a hold of a
>SuperDrive-equipped Mac.  Shouldn't be too tough, since even the new SEs
>being sold now are so equipped.  Run the program Apple File Exchange
>(AFE), which comes with the System software.  (Hey, FREE!)  The SuperDrive
>will then accept your friend's ProDos disks, and will perform the
>conversion to Microsoft Works files for the Mac.

Well, for Mac to read ProDOS disk, you don't need the SuperDrive, the
"old" 800k will work just fine.

If you don't have "works-to-works" to work with Apple File Exchange,
just save the Appleworks file as plain text, then use the standard
tranfer to transfer.

t-jlee@microsoft.UUCP (Johnny Lee) (10/02/89)

In article <24436.25247371@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) writes:
>To convert AppleWorks stuff to the Mac, your friend should get a hold of a
>SuperDrive-equipped Mac.  Shouldn't be too tough, since even the new SEs
>being sold now are so equipped.  Run the program Apple File Exchange
>(AFE), which comes with the System software.  (Hey, FREE!)  The SuperDrive
>will then accept your friend's ProDos disks, and will perform the
>conversion to Microsoft Works files for the Mac.

You don't need a SuperDrive to do this stuff. A regular 800K
floppy will do. ProDOS and HFS/MFS share the same disk format.
I believe Alsoft, makers of Disk Express(??) etc, had a program called
ProLink which would allow you to do a  straight copy of a ProDOS
file over to a Mac using only the Mac disk drive.
Copy II Mac will copy your ProDOS disks if you ever have to do it.

>--
>Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
>UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!Adam.Frix
>INET: Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG

Johnny Lee
t-jlee@microsoft.UUCP

blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Michael Blackman) (10/02/89)

In article <24436.25247371@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) writes:
>To convert AppleWorks stuff to the Mac, your friend should get a hold of a
>SuperDrive-equipped Mac.

I've been doing Apple II <-> Mac conversions for about a year, using a
plain Mac SE, with no SuperDrive.  SuperDrive allows you to read MS-DOS
disks, but any Mac drives can read ProDOS, as they use the same
low-level format.

>Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
>UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!Adam.Frix
>INET: Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG

Scott Blackman
blackman@phoenix.princeton.edu
blackman@PUCC (bitnet)

userDBUG@mts.ucs.ualberta.ca (Dan Berry) (10/05/89)

In article <7920@microsoft.UUCP>, t-jlee@microsoft.UUCP (Johnny Lee) writes:
>I believe Alsoft, makers of Disk Express(??) etc, had a program called
>ProLink which would allow you to do a  straight copy of a ProDOS
>file over to a Mac using only the Mac [800k] disk drive.
>Copy II Mac will copy your ProDOS disks if you ever have to do it.

ARRRGH!  NOOOOoooo!  You work for  Microsoft?!?  :-O
Do *THIS*...

Find a friend who owns MS-Works v2.0, which is where they supply a
unique AFE driver that, scarily enough, translates from AppleWorks
files to Microsoft Works.  Then, after your friend has it loaded
into MS-Works successfully, you can port it to any multitude of
other formats for other programs.

The driver that they give you also converts the formulas to make
sure that they are compatible.
-------
Dan Berry, Univ. of Alberta Computing Systems (Network & DataComm.)
* CORRESPONDENCE: UserDBUG@UAltaMTS.bitnet
* FILE TRANSFERS: ..!ubc-cs!alberta!ualtasun!dan@uunet.uu.net
* INK/PAPER MAIL: U. of Alberta, Room 120 GSB, Edmonton, T6G 2R3

blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Michael Blackman) (10/05/89)

In article <12263@boulder.Colorado.EDU> kuo@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Andy Y.A. Kuo) writes:

>If you don't have "works-to-works" to work with Apple File Exchange,
>just save the Appleworks file as plain text, then use the standard
>tranfer to transfer.

Does anyone know where I can get this "works-to-works"?  Is it an AFE script
or a complete program?

Thanks,
Scott Blackman

Scott Blackman, 103 Forbes College  /  Princeton University
I have just discovered a proof of  /  blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Fermat's Last Theorem!  But it's  /  blackman@phoenix.UUCP, blackman@PUCC
too long to fit in this .sig...  /  ...allegra!princeton!(phoenix|pucc)!blackman