[comp.sys.mac] Re^2: Is an Apple Hard Disk better than any of the others ???

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (10/04/89)

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) writes:

>There is a high likelyhood that the 3rd party drive you may purchase
>is manufactured by the same company that the Apple brand drive is;
>Quantum.

>Buy a Quantum from Apple, you get a 90 day warranty.
>Buy a Quantum from anybody else, you get a 2 year warranty.
>This is, unless you are getting a GOOD educationaly discount from
>Apple.

Beg to differ.  CMS drives are usually Seagates; Micro-Nets are usually
CDCs (the larger ones).  Some CMSes, many lesser-known companies have
MiniScribe or Micropolis mechanisms.  The higher-performance mechanisms
(high-performance=US-made, in SCSI drives) are more money, but well
worth it.  Few companies use the Quantums.

Micro-Net drives are my favorite, by far.  They have the best tech.
support and tech. people.  And the CDC mechanisms don't break.

	Alex

eacj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) (10/05/89)

In article <1989Oct4.044057.19765@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us> alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) writes:
>truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) writes:
>>Buy a Quantum from Apple, you get a 90 day warranty.
>>Buy a Quantum from anybody else, you get a 2 year warranty.
>>This is, unless you are getting a GOOD educationaly discount from
>>Apple.
>
>Beg to differ.  CMS drives are usually Seagates; Micro-Nets are usually
>CDCs (the larger ones).  Some CMSes, many lesser-known companies have
>MiniScribe or Micropolis mechanisms.  The higher-performance mechanisms
>(high-performance=US-made, in SCSI drives) are more money, but well
>worth it.  Few companies use the Quantums.

GCC and SuperMac are currently using Quantums.  I have not had any experience
with GCC, but I have bought drives from SuperMac.  Their hard disks come with
an excellent set of software products at no extra cost (SuperLaserSpool,
DiskFit, Sentinel, etc.), and the customer support is generally responsive,
once you get through to a human (I hate voicemail systems).

I would say that the only good reason to buy an Apple hard disk is price,
if you qualify for one of their discount programs.  If not, the better
warranties, support, and software that come with other products seems hard
to ignore.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Neurobiology & Behavior, W250 Mudd Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853